StudentsReview :: Seton Hall University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
American University -- Washington, DC

Seton Hall University

Seton Hall is ok.Quite BrightBiology
Seton Hall is ok. It's not the greatest school in the world. I left after my first year for a more prestigious school. Dorms suck, food is ok, professors are helpful and nice depending on who it is. It seems like people get robbed off-campus every day. I have to admit I have made some good friends here. If you are smart and want to be challenge don't go here. I got a 4.0 both semesters. It was hard for me to relate to any of my classmates because I was always labeled the curve killer. Seton Hall was not my first choice but it did get me into my dream college. So if you didn't get into your dream college, come here for a year, do well and apply to transfer to your first choice. One last thing, don't dorm, Seton Hall is a suitcase school. I dormed and left every weekend because there is literally nothing to do.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: B+, Surrounding City: F
I am a 2014 graduate of this university.BrightCriminal
I am a 2014 graduate of this university. It's really not that bad, most of the negative reviews come from low-lifes and transfer students. The negative reviews aren't 100% true but they're not 100% false either.

If you're a prospective SHU student, here's what you need to know about social/campus life:

Freshmen year- You will quickly discover that this is a suitcase and commuter school. Campus is pretty lifeless on the weekends and any campus activities that are planned are kinda lame for young adults. Greek life will try to recruit you heavily, and many people who pledge end up loving it. I personally chose not to pledge after doing the whole rush scene, and I don't regret a minute of my SHU experience.

Sophomore year- This will probably be the weakest year of your college experience. In the Fall, there will be a second wave of Greek Life pledging, you will notice that cliques in your class will start to form. It kinda sucks, because you will most likely lose touch with people who decide to pledge in that second wave (it happened to me at least, when they pledged and I decided not to). I recommend studying abroad Spring semester of your Sophomore year if possible, I spent that semester travelling on weekends and visiting friends at other colleges.

Long story short, YOU MUST CREATE YOUR OWN FUN!
Junior year- This is when college starts to get a little better. I moved off campus and rented a house with several other students. It was a frat house except without the pledging fees and hazing. If you let your house parties get off the hook though, be prepared to deal with angry neighbors and the South Orange Police. The officers aren't bad guys, they understand that you're in college. If you're respectful to the police, they will respect you back. You will encounter them at least once in your SHU career guaranteed, hopefully as a the result of a house party being busted and not because you're the victim of a crime. Remember, South Orange gets some crime spillover from bad neighborhoods nearby in Newark and East Orange.

Senior year- Possibly the best year because all you're friends will be able to legally drink. South Orange is just a short train ride away from New York and Hoboken. I also took other adventures with my housemates to Morristown and Atlantic City. The bottom line is that you can enjoy your college experience almost anywhere but you gotta be adventurous.

For a small school, the University does have a lot of useful resources like the career center that will help you land an internship. The fitness center is brand new and state of the art. The dorms kinda suck, but its cheaper to live off campus anyway or commute. And of all the colleges I've been to, Seton Hall has the best cafeteria food, which you will end up hating unfortunately since living on campus requires you to have a meal plan. And like any Division I school, athletics do come first. Some of those student athletes (especially the basketball team) were so ungrateful about all the benefits they received. It's such a waste. But besides that, good luck!

4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: F
Dis shit reked my lyf.Animal Studies
Dis shit reked my lyf.
am 67, alone, unemployed, and have aids
seton hall is da shit
im in love with the cocobitchez call me +69 6969696969
Compare SHUSave SHU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→