StudentsReview :: Seton Hall University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
American University -- Washington, DC

Seton Hall University

Before I went to Seton Hall, I wasQuite BrightMath
Before I went to Seton Hall, I was known for excelling academically. I won several awards for many different competitions and broke the record for the highest number of AP courses and credits awarded. When I came to Seton Hall I expected extremely little challenge, but I was challenged for the wrong reasons. As a math major, there are very few of us at Seton Hall, so the professors like to privatize lectures, essentially teaching each section differently. Through this we couldn't collaborate to study for tests or quizzes. Secondly, some professors were unhelpful and arrogant. One simply told me: "Seton Hall is by far the best university, better than any Ivy League.." I was shocked by such arrogance. I don't believe that Ivy Leagues are better because of prestige, it's simply the faculty and resources. Here you will find yourself more hindered from professors than helped. Only a few professors have actually helped me achieve greater potential, but like I said, these are rare. For Calculus I my creativity was shattered by a professor that only allows things her way. Through the next course I was shattered again but this time by a professor that couldn't teach properly. One professor I had simply told me to read the textbook instead of asking him questions. One professor taught me to study and learn the course material on my own, but that's not a good thing for many students here. I am able to self-teach many subjects but this crippled more than half the class. There is no greatness about this program at SHU, and you will find yourself disappointed. Also, there are an extreme amount of arrogant students. It's like they all flock to this school, I am frequently belittled by people that can't even find a derivative in Calc 1. I'm also a student of the language program, and the German program sucks, this professor doesn't know how to teach German, and they need to seriously redo the cirriculum for European Standards. I find myself speaking and knowing more of a language as a self-taught student learning from European Standards than the clowns that take the language at SHU. Distasteful academically, foul in terms of the personalities of students and overall a giant pool of arrogant people in one place. Please do not come to this school as a math, compsci, or language student. You will regret it as I have.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Individual Value: A+, Education Quality: F
There's not many things harder than admitting youBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
There's not many things harder than admitting you chose poorly in one of the biggest decisions of your life. But that's where I'm at, because Seton Hall truly sucks.

PEOPLE: A little background, I am from the Upper MidWest and had never been to the East Coast before. I'm from a very metropolitan area, but people here continuously look down on me for where I'm from and openly make comments about me being from somewhere "uneducated" or "bumblefuck" - then say something like "So why don't you have a southern accent?". The hypocrisy in this and other matters is insane. People here (meaning Seton Hall, as far as Jersey or East Coast in general, I'm not qualified to say) actually think they're the shit when a good 3/5 people are selfish and simple minded. I thought my family was exaggerating when they told me to beware the people here. Nobody here knows how to make a true connection with people. I see cliques (of which there are many. it feels like high school.) backstabbing one another and being bitchy and its totally accepted here. My freshman year my suitemate (falsely) accused a former lover of rape and I got pulled in to it when the guy told my boyfriend he was going to "get me expelled or worse". The local police said they couldnt do anything until he actually hurt me. the school did nothing.

SAFETY: The South Orange Police are complete and utter trash of human beings. They are rude, racist, unhelpful, and break the laws themselves. This place is unsafe and not worth the tuition. Campus security is a joke, there are open ends to all the pretty gates, and the security service that works here are from a jail rehabilitation program who get high all the time. My first year of school over a dozen people were robbed at gunpoint, and one freshman had been here less than a week before he was beaten with a handgun and mugged. They have a shuttle bus, the SHU Fly, but dont believe it. It is always late, and sometimes you'll wait 15 minutes in the cold just for the driver (who barely speaks English) to drive right past you. I called the Seton Hall operator to complain one time and ask for a Safe Ride (it was 11 at night, I had just finished work, and the area is bad), and he said that he "highly doubts I was waiting that long" and when I insisted he told me I was "outside their range" and to "go fuck myself".

PARTYING: There is a lot of weed and a lot of pills, but you have to be a real partier to commonly see much else. Party scene is ok, but very Greek heavy, and you have to be known around campus to go anywhere worth while.

NEIGHBORHOOD: I work two jobs in the surrounding area, and it is complete trash, the only nice part is mainstreet, and even that is filled with ghetto trash and plenty of homeless people, and there is also a mental handicap adult home nearby that lets its wards run free and bother everybody (sorry if you're sensitive about that, but that's how it is). The armpit of America indeed.

FOOD: Awful. Even people who love it here admit that.
ATHLETICS: We rock at basketball. If you want school spirit, this place is pretty good at it. All other sports besides bball and basketball, don't even bother, you dont get funding. But we do have a swim and dive team, a rugby team, and a few other smaller ones with great team dynamics.

SCHOLARSHIPS: Seton Hall is great about scholarships. In HS I had a 3.5 GPA, great community service background, some sport involvement, and a 30 ACT, and I got a 3/4 ride. That's not even that great of n accomplishment, and people who did a lot less still got some money.

PEANUT GALLERY: I will say to take my experience with a grain of salt - lots of people here seem to love it. But they are typically C students who are from in state and just wanted somewhere easy and close to home. Campus is dead on the weekends because everybody goes back home to mommy. That's the whole vibe of most people here - unmotivated and average. You'll like it more if you're involved in a sports team or the Greek life (which by the way is also obnoxious. it completely consumes people and makes them snobby and secluded from anything without a foreign alphabet attached to it. And hazing a very real thing for about half the frats/sororities. But hey, they love it).

ACADEMICS/PROFESSORS: this is not a place to be if you are of more than average intelligence. IF you are average or below, this may be the best name on a degree you can get for your troubles. Classes are of OK caliber, but not fantastic. Most profs have other jobs and arent truly connected to what they do here. But with that said, the older I get and the higher level courses I take, the better the profs are getting.

ADMINISTRATION: horrible. bad office hours and unruly to deal with. I've been bounced around between 4 different advisers who all were bad at their job and screwed up my course work - I cant graduate with my desired degree on time now. One dean even straight up laughed at me for telling her I wanted to earn a B.A. instead of a B.S. Rude.

STUDY ABROAD: could be worse, but if this is something you really love, know that the small selection of programs with poor financing options really sucks compared to most other schools.

HEALTH SERVICES: complete joke. never open. run by graduate students. all they care about is shoving an alcohol use survey in your face and then telling you you show signs of alcoholism for having 2 drinks a week. I had Mono for 2 months before they would dignify using their materials (which my tuition and mandated healthcare goes towards) to test me, at which point I was so sick I almost failed out my first semester.

CAMPUS/FACILITIES: For the most part the campus is small and close feeling and beautiful. They put a lot of upkeep into their campus. On campus I have never heard of any violence or disturbances. Basically, the campaigning that this school does is so "smoke and mirrors" that it edges on unlawful. I've had friends whose recruiters straight up lied to them about having their program - it literally ruined their careers before they even got a chance. For now I am staying because of the nearby NYC internship opportunities but I plan on studying abroad or transferring next fall. Literally 3 in 4 of my friends here already have.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A, University Resource Use: D-
Seton Hall University is the WORST.BrightCommunications
Seton Hall University is the WORST. The people I have made friends with are not, but every other aspect of this school is terrible. They build it up to be something it is not. They say there is "endless opportunities" but believe me there is not. I am a PR/Communications student and I have gotten no help with a career or anything. The faculty is stubborn, the athletic directors are stubborn and full of themselves and it is really corrupt. Athletic Director Thomas Chen is an awful human being and is sexist against women, and honestly the school is just filled with clicks like a high school would be. It's been a terrible experience here and I think about transferring everyday. DO NOT COME TO THIS SCHOOL. Any questions contact me here:
1st Year Male -- Class 2018