StudentsReview :: The Stevens Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute -- Troy, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology -- Rochester, NY
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

The Stevens Institute of Technology

Honestly, most of the professors are good teachersBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Honestly, most of the professors are good teachers and knowledgable in their field. There are a few like Calhoun who are allowed by administration to run amok and not even have a grading syllabus so they can pull grades from thin air based on their opinion of you. Hes literally allowex to leave to take phone calls and come in late but then force extra class sessions on you. A few classes are so poorly taught there is just a huge curve so we can ignore that we have learned nothing. As the most expensive college in the state you would expect more value and honestly a little support from the administration when a professor goes rogue but as it is a private college they essentially answer to nobody not even students who continuely reach out with concerns. All of my issues addressed are regarding the business school so I cannot attest to the other schools.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2019
Surrounding City: A, Faculty Accessibility: F
Quite BrightComputer Engineering
Very hard work... worth it
3rd Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Scholastic Success: B+
I just graduated this year and I'm stillQuite BrightElectrical Engineering
I just graduated this year and I'm still not sure how I feel about this school. I got a great job out of school, and I've met people here that I love so I would never take it back, but I feel like I had to put in a huge amount of effort to make my college experience even somewhat enjoyable.

Faculty accessibility depends highly on the department. Electrical Engineering faculty is fantastic, they are friendly and will go out of their way to help you if you show interest in being helped. Other departments (namely CS and parts of CCBME) I have personally experienced or heard of some of the worst faculty imaginable. Graduate faculty is very standoff-ish, I HIGHLY recommend against taking Graduate courses here as an Undergrad which is ironic because most Undergrads will have to take Grad courses in their major to fulfill their degree requirements.

Honors system is idealistic but neither here nor there. Cheating is rampant in Grad courses, some professors seem not to care, and others care far too much.

The surrounding area is great, and Hoboken is very safe at night with the exception of the outskirts and along the river at 2-3AM where one of my friends had a mugging attempt.

I like the idea of an academically oriented school, but I feel like much of the Engineering knowledge I got at Stevens was theoretical. Though several of my professors told me they were told the school said there was 'not enough money' to have a lab with their class, tuition is 50k+ a year and rises every year without fail....so where is it all going?

Social life on campus is very meh unless you join a sorority/fraternity or play video games. Hoboken is great for meeting people, but expensive.

Housing has gotten much worse since I entered school. Facilities are not so bad, especially for campus dorms, but expensive and many students end up living off campus in Hoboken.

Overall, 3/5:

+ good jobs available straight from school, some of the faculty are fabulous, administrative staff are for the most part very kind

+broad based skillset learned, even if some of the knowledge gained was not the most practical
+great location
- snooty, entitled student body and lack of social life on campus
-lack of labs in classes that need them and tenure of professors that just don't care about teaching
To summarize, I would go there again even if I knew all of this going in, though mostly for the people that I met and the job I got as a result of going here. My parents always said college was the 'best years of their lives'....I definitely don't agree, but I love my job and the people I've met there so I wouldn't choose another school. Just be wary going in that this is not the school to go to if you're looking to have the quintessential college experience.Hope this review helps you decide one way or the other. :)

4th Year Female -- Class 2014