StudentsReview :: The Stevens Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute -- Troy, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology -- Rochester, NY
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

The Stevens Institute of Technology

I am not an undergraduate student but aQuite BrightTelecommunications
I am not an undergraduate student but a graduate student and I wanted to give my feedback to this blog. When I was looking to pursue my Master's degree - Stevens was a school I always had in the back of my mind. I met a department head when they visited my company and that was my first introduction to Steven's but I felt that the work would be too much for me to handle so I never gave it much thought to apply.

I applied to Colorado State University and got declined because I did not have much calculus course work in undergrad. Mathematics such as that was always something that I had problems with. But one day I said, let me apply to Stevens, if I get in great, if not, ok too. Well I got accepted and I was given a mandatory calculus class to take as a condition of my acceptance into the Telecommunications Program. The very first class, I was NERVOUS, because I thought I was going to fail out of the program on the very first class. But to my surprise I had a professor that had a way of explaining calculus that allowed me to understand him and learn the material.

Ultimately I passed the class and breezed through the next semesters' "required" stats class. I put in so much hard work that I was able to grasp the material and actually overcame my fear of higher level mathematics thanks to the 2 professors that taught my calc and stats classes.What does this means for you? If you consider going to Stevens, make sure you are ready to dedicate A LOT of time to your classes just to ensure you keep pace with your classmates. I cannot begin to tell you the thrill I get when asked, "oh you are going for Masters? What school do you go to?" When I say Stevens, you will see right away what kind of reputation the school has when you say that. I am still not used it, but employers do value the education that Stevens provides its student because they know that students that graduate from Stevens have many tools that are needed in the workplace today.

1st Year Male -- Class 2008
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Faculty Accessibility: A-
I picked Stevens because of it boasted aroundEngineering Department
I picked Stevens because of it boasted around 98% acceptance rate for medical schools. Upon trying to apply to medical schools, I realized why it was so high. The Stevens Health Professions Advisory Committee only recommends students with very high GPAs. If you don't have at least a 3.8, they reject you and prevent you from applying. The same applies to their seemingly high employment rate and starting salaries. Very few people actually get good jobs out of college. Stevens selects only the lucky few for their statistics. If you try to report that you're unemployed, they ignore you. After looking for a job for around 11 months, I finally found one as an assembler for $10/hr. At this rate it would take until I'm 49 to pay off my loans if I hadn't received scholarships. Don't waste your time with this school.
I have just finished one semesters at StevensQuite BrightEngineering Department
I have just finished one semesters at Stevens and have had a relatively good experience so far. I will address several aspects of the school here:

Academics:
The strengths of Stevens lies in its engineering cirriculum that is challenging and requires a lot of credits to complete. I found most of my classes so far to be not too hard, but only because i have prepared well in high school. I know it wouldn't be much harder at other schools, and it is still more challenging than most. I also know it will get a lot harder in the coming semesters. The teachers have been okay overall. Some are good, two were excellent, and another wasn't that great. A lot of the TAs aren't that helpful; however, i didnt really need them to understand the material as of yet. Also, if you have done relatively well in high school, you will get MONEY, a lot of money, which is GREAT. You also will probably get to be part of the Scholars Program which is also great, because you can do research and get paid, or take free classes over the summer. Stevens graduates have great jobs when they finish, so you won't have to worry about that.

Social Life:
Before I get into this: look at the male/female ratio. 65 to 35 maybe? Better that a lot of engineering schools, but don't expect this to be like a state school or liberal arts school. It sorta sucks; however, remember that Stevens lies 10 min from New York City. So think about it, what is there you can't do there? I go there almost every weekend. Its right there why not take advantage of it? So basically the social life is what you make of it. If you stick with going to frat parties every weekend, you'll find that social life is mediocre, but if you can find a group of friends that like to explore new york city, go to rock shows, etc, then it can be a very good experience. There is also the opportunity to meet people at NYU and other schools in new york. Should you come here? I think you should seriously consider it. If you are good at math, science, and have a knack for problem solving, you probably would make a good engineer. The engineers that come out of Stevens are top-notch and successful. The college experience will be different, but that doesn't have to be bad. If you're a girl, you should definitely come here, because on average, girls are a lot happier here than the guys (I wonder why).

1st Year Male -- Class 2010