StudentsReview :: The William Paterson University of New Jersey - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Montclair State University -- Upper Montclair, NJ

The William Paterson University of New Jersey

Okay so I'm gonna be completely honest aboutAverageCommunications
Okay so I'm gonna be completely honest about this school.
I can't speak for all the departments. However, I know that in my major (communications) Hobart Hall has a really accomplished staff that has worked in media. One of my professors from last semester was the former executive producer for MSNBC, I had another professor who was well known radio host in the UK, And I had two other professors who worked in news media. Going back to radio, Hobart Hall's Brave New Radio, actually won an award for "best college radio show". Now where it gets competitive is the internships because those future job prospects are looking at Syracuse and NYU as well. However I know many graduates that have landed jobs with MSNBC,CNN,FOX, HBO,etc. The school I went to before this "claimed" to have a good communications program however a lot of the professors in that program where local success stories. Also, William Paterson is pretty close to NYC so you which is really good if you are looking to land a job there.

When it comes to social life here on campus. you'll feel like you got robbed. The dorms are meh, like I came from an out of state school which cost 30,000 in tuition and the dorms and all the dorms where apartment style. This university does not really cater to their upperclassmen when it comes to dorms because almost all the dorms with the exclusion of two are suite style (which basically means there's a "private" bathroom between two dorms.) They do have apartment style dorms however it is basically just a regular suite with a kitchen. William Paterson is secluded. like it is not in Wayne nor is it in Paterson. So, if you want to go to off-campus parties or night clubs, you have to have a car or find a friend with a car. a lot of the students are commuters and a lot more go away for the weekend so it is kind of a vast wasteland around here on the weekend. Also, the majority of the students who dorm are either from South Jersey or New York or they don't have a car.

Don't worry about not graduating on time because I know ALOT of students who are "super seniors".

3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Useful Schoolwork: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: F
This pathetic excuse for a university made meBright
This pathetic excuse for a university made me hate my life. I would not wish it upon anyone to go here. I almost transferred to different schools several times but ended up staying because of how much money I saved to go here compared to the other schools, but now I realize this was not worth it. You are basically surrounded by the worst environment for a school, being there is nothing but unsafe ghettos and absolutely nothing to do. The campus is absolutely dead always and is a complete ghost town on weekends. This was a very depressing factor. The music department is a joke, the students are annoying and uncomfortable to be around, and most of the faculty doesn't know how to actually work and do their job. Nothing but lazy people who get to sit/ walk around all day and do nothing. The rest of the school is even worse, as I literally had only one teacher who was a great person, smart, hardworking and did their job well. Most of the students are there because they did poorly in high school and it was probably their only choice, and most of them could care less about learning or doing well in class. It is a very depressing, bleak, scummy school that made me feel totally worthless.
4th Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: D, Education Quality: F
I went to WPU for Art Studio forArt & Design Department
I went to WPU for Art Studio for 2 years and then returned for my Elementary Education Certificate (graduate work). Even though I transferred to Rutgers for my BA, WPU is dear to my heart and I got a good education there. I remember some excellent professors in English, Religion, Political Science, Art, Education etc. Some professors teach at schools in NY too. I got a lot out of the clubs I joined especially the "People for Peace" club. I was able to go on two National Exchange programs one to NM and on to University of MN. I also had a lot of individual attention in the Art Program and decided to become an Art History major because of the inspiration of my professors. There were times I struggled with grades and balancing work and school and I received support and help. This school opened my mind to many things that I wasn't exposed to at West Milford High, such as Buddhism class, issues of blacks and Hispanics and women and many other global issues that expanded my life and prepared me for a career. One drawback for some people is that it is overly liberal-so if you are a conservative or Christian you might feel uncomfortable. Some of the professor's views are too radical, an you might not want to disagree in class or you will feel picked on.
Compare WPUNJSave WPUNJ