StudentsReview :: New Mexico State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

New Mexico State University

The professors, at least

Jun 11 2014Electrical Engineering
The professors, at least most of them, are great. No problems with them at all. The staff is a different story. Some of the people who take care of registration errors and stuff like that are condescending and rude.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Surrounding City: C

The student body is very closed off

Jun 16 2014Architecture
The student body is very closed off. Making friends if you don't know anybody is VERY HARD. nobody really talks to anybody new and is very much like a highschool were EVERYONE Is a snotty pretty popular person. I went there a whole year and made NO FRIENDS. (I was from out of state to so I spent a whole year alone and ended up dropping out and becoming a complete sociopath) There is NOTHING ENTERTAINING ABOUT LAS CRUCES NEW MEXICO.the city its in. Its a small town were everything closes buy 9pm there is 1movie theater and 1mall. Evyone listens to country Music and there is NO ROCK AND ROLL.If your Out of state, don't know anyone, not average looking (Not teen model status) like Rock and Roll, like a city with lots of things to do, like to go to partys, hate Snotty people, hate a small town in the middle of the desert, and wanta college experience like u see in the movies. (Pitch perfect, Van wilder, college road trip, Accepted, American Pie) with fun memoires and new friends then STAY AWAY FROM NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY, LEAVING HOME TO GO THERE WAS THE WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. I WOULDN'T GO BACK EVEN IF THEY OFFERED ME A FREE RIDE!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT MAN!!! DONT DO IT!!!
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Education Quality: F

I originally attended NMSU for the "great engineering

Jun 09 2014Mechanical Engineering
I originally attended NMSU for the "great engineering program" only to find out that it has been going downhill for the past few years. In 2009, the program was ranked #62 in the nation and now in 2014 it is ranked #129, while UNM's engineering program went from #77 to #87 and is now the second best option in New Mexico, while NM Tech is the best.

A good portion of the professors here do not speak fluent English and tend to not comprehend question that you ask them and or give you completely irrelevant information. I know that this isn't necessarily their fault, but if you want to have a strong understanding of the material, you're most likely going to have to teach yourself most of it, and I don't mean the daily studying that is recommended by teachers, I mean actually teach yourself stuff. This was a huge complaint by many students, especially in the math department.

To the people who complained about the university discriminating against white people, you're absolutely right. As a Hispanic male, I definitely experienced this as I received more positive attention from professors and faculty, even when my "white boy" friends were smarter than me. Why am I complaining? I want to actually feel like I accomplished something that I worked for rather than be praised by the color of my skin. Unless you're Hispanic and or a popular, pretty girl in a sorority, you're going to have a bad time.

This university doesn't have their priorities straight. Millions of dollars are thrown away to historically failing athletic departments while STEM equipment rusts away in laboratories.

School-related material aside. If you're not into heavy drinking, smoking or partying, good luck making friends. I've been made fun of so many times for being a "lightweight" and many students still have their immature and entitled attitude as if they are still in high school. Most students here also don't care too much about their education or direction in life for that matter. Of course, there are those handful that actually do, but don't expect it often. It's a wonder why they can't get out of Las Cruces!

Las Cruces is a terrible place. The town seems very dirty and there's absolutely nothing to do, unless, again, you're a huge partier. If you want a bigger selection, you'll have to drive 45 minutes south to El Paso, and even there there's not much to do. If you really want to do anything, drive up north to Albuquerque. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone. If you can afford to go anywhere else, I would recommend that. I will be transferring up to UNM to finish my college career and hope it isn't Hell like it was here!

1st Year Male -- Class 2017