StudentsReview :: The University of Nevada Las Vegas - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Nevada Las Vegas

The education itself is decent, for my major

May 29 2014Athletics/Training
The education itself is decent, for my major in particular I enjoy the classes. However you have to deal with other things besides education when attending college. I have been hassled by UNLV police for no reason and they are very arrogant officers. Also the campus permit and "meter maid" office is absolutely awful. My first run in was trying to get a permit for this last semester; it took me 2 weeks to finally receive a permit which is 2/3 of the total session of 1st session summer school. IN the mean time I had to park at parking meters that have a 2 hour limit and i would leave my class to put more quarters in because they Max out at 2 hours and my class was 3 hours. When I would return to put more quarters in for the last hour a meter maid would be sitting in front of my truck waiting for my time to run out. It cost me $3 a day to park at the meters for 10 days so i spent $30 waiting for the permit and $40 on the permit. It is absolutely ridiculous. I also had a major issue moving out of the dorms this last semester with parking regulation. Every year moving in and out of the dorms it has been the same, parents bring their cars up to the front of the dorms complex and are allowed to load or unload their car. Well this last move out time i came back to my truck being ticketed by a meter maid for "parking in a no parking zone". The whole area was a no parking zone however is designated on specific weekends for moving in and out. Mind you the "meter maid" couldn't have been over 20 and was talking to me as if she was a supervisor. She wrote me and 45 other cars that morning $60 tickets and went on her way. I talked to the department supervisor and he came back with nothing but sarcasm and ridiculously rude comments.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: D

I did not graduate from here

Dec 27 2013Political Science
I did not graduate from here. I stopped attending my sophomore year. I found this school to be a serious joke. It's getting worse every year. The kids are illiterate and the faculty is mediocre. Do NOT come to UNLV unless you're a hotel major! I'm working on leaving the state to attend a "real" university in California.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: B, Campus Aesthetics: D

I am about to graduate in at the

Sep 11 2014Communications
I am about to graduate in at the end of this Fall semester (finished classes this past summer) and now looking back, I was very satisfied with my education here. For the price, people really need to stop talking so poorly about UNLV. It is quite obvious that the comments/reviews I've read here are based off of novice students at 100/200 level courses.

The diversity is amazing. Social life/events/the city- better not complain. I think UNLV takes great pride in all the things you can do here, extracurricular, etc. There are also several religious groups, activist groups, and social justice groups on campus as well- very philanthropic when you look beyond the young frats/sororities and the "Vegas" vibe.

My department was extremely... AMAZING when you hit the 300/400 level classes and graduate school. I think I can speak for other majors, it get's VERY competitive once you pass your gen eds! The faculty they get are from all kinds of places, very educated. Don't be surprised that the lower level courses have lower level kind of teaching. Get passed that and you'll see.

I wish I really participated more in UNLV's events. It's an awesome school that tries to have something for everyone.

My department rocked, department chair (retired) was such an amazing person and there are several favorites that I have that I know genuinely care for the education of their students, not their paycheck. There are many ways to succeed with the Academic Success Center, the FREE tutoring, ever-vivacious Student Union.UNLV is a high quality school and if you're paying in-state tuition, you better take advantage of it. I see I a lot of laziness as I go around campus and reflect these days. It's sad. Kids/new students do not realize what they've got.

5th Year Female -- Class 2014