StudentsReview :: The University of Nevada - Las Vegas - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Nevada - Las Vegas

The education itself is decent, for my majorBrightAthletics/Training
The education itself is decent, for my major in particular I enjoy the classes. However you have to deal with other things besides education when attending college. I have been hassled by UNLV police for no reason and they are very arrogant officers. Also the campus permit and "meter maid" office is absolutely awful. My first run in was trying to get a permit for this last semester; it took me 2 weeks to finally receive a permit which is 2/3 of the total session of 1st session summer school. IN the mean time I had to park at parking meters that have a 2 hour limit and i would leave my class to put more quarters in because they Max out at 2 hours and my class was 3 hours. When I would return to put more quarters in for the last hour a meter maid would be sitting in front of my truck waiting for my time to run out. It cost me $3 a day to park at the meters for 10 days so i spent $30 waiting for the permit and $40 on the permit. It is absolutely ridiculous. I also had a major issue moving out of the dorms this last semester with parking regulation. Every year moving in and out of the dorms it has been the same, parents bring their cars up to the front of the dorms complex and are allowed to load or unload their car. Well this last move out time i came back to my truck being ticketed by a meter maid for "parking in a no parking zone". The whole area was a no parking zone however is designated on specific weekends for moving in and out. Mind you the "meter maid" couldn't have been over 20 and was talking to me as if she was a supervisor. She wrote me and 45 other cars that morning $60 tickets and went on her way. I talked to the department supervisor and he came back with nothing but sarcasm and ridiculously rude comments.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: D
I did not graduate from here.Super BrilliantPolitical Science
I did not graduate from here. I stopped attending my sophomore year. I found this school to be a serious joke. It's getting worse every year. The kids are illiterate and the faculty is mediocre. Do NOT come to UNLV unless you're a hotel major! I'm working on leaving the state to attend a "real" university in California.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: B, Campus Aesthetics: D
The city of Las Vegas is amazing.AverageJournalism
The city of Las Vegas is amazing. Living here is so much fun, especially if you are a girl. There are always fun things to do in the city of Las Vegas although I would recommend bringing a car if you do plan to come to this school. From a social aspect this school is really fun. The people here are incredibly nice I have made life long friends here, and there is always a party going on.

Social life is important, however, I feel that is all this school has going for it. I have had many problems with the university losing paperwork, being disorganized with scheduling classes, and making many mistakes with tuition. There are so many things that go wrong here and I thought i was the only one who was having problems but once I spoke to other students I found out the university was lacking in communication skills. For example at the beginning of the year several of my friends and I received an email that we were going to be evicted from our dorms if we did not turn in paper work to the housing office within the next few days. As students we were never notified that the paperwork needed to be turned into that office, as well on our "My UNLV" accounts it said that all of our paperwork had been turned in. The email unnecessarily scared many students and this is just one example of paperwork mistakes the university has made.

The professors here are a joke. I understand that there are bad professors at every college however these are some of the issues I have run into here at UNLV. My math teacher has not showed up to class twice in one semester because he "slept through his alarm" as well when he does show up it is a good 10-20 minutes late. My english teacher has come into class smelling of weed and often times forgets to tell us that class has been canceled. When I asked another one of my professors why he has not responded to an email I sent him he told me he had changed his email and had forgotten to tell us. Honestly I am fed up. Why should I take classes seriously at all if the professors and the university do no. I know people say you will get out what you put into your education, however it is hard to care when no one else seems to.

Students here at UNLV also have no school pride. The phrases "If you are so smart why don't you go to a real school?" and "Don't come here it is a joke,"are common statements I have heard a lot around the campus.

If you are going to school for hospitality this is a great school and dont let my comments scare you. The campus is really pretty contrary to what many people think, as well the people here are amazingly nice and accepting(I dont think you can find a more diverse campus in the nation and I absolutely love that). I am honestly sad that the university is incompetent because I love this city, the campus, and all of the people I have met here. I am currently in the process of trying to transfer and I honestly hope I can get out of here.If you are willing to put in all the work without help from the professors or the university, and are not easily distracted by the thriving people and city around you, then this might be the college for you.

Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F