StudentsReview :: The University of Nevada - Las Vegas - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Nevada - Las Vegas

I've read a lot of these comments onQuite BrightOther
I've read a lot of these comments on this site, and quite frankly I believe that most of these people with negative reviews haven’t tried to make their college experience a great one that it potentially could be.

Academics:
Since I'm in the Hotel College, I've been very satisfied with my education thus far. I'm a Meeting and Event Management major, so I've gotten a great experience studying in the "world’s greatest laboratory". All of my professors have been out in the field and are very accomplished in the industry; they usually retire and come to UNLV to teach what they know. I've had some of the best instructors who know a lot of important people. If you get to know them on a personal level, they can do wonders for you when it comes to networking or getting a job. The only "bad" professors I've had so far are those who have taught my general ed. classes and are not affiliated with the Hotel College.

What's also great about UNLV's professors is that they are always easily accessible to get in contact with. They are required to have weekly office hours and if you can't make it during those given times, they are usually great about scheduling appointments. When you e-mail a professor they are also required to respond within 24 hours.

As far as class sizes go, most of my classes are smaller than my classes in high school. Usually it can be about an average of 30 people per class, with very limited large lecture hall classes. The larger classes are usually classes in the 100-200 level, and once you move into the upper division they are a lot smaller in size and have an intimate environment that promotes classroom discussion. What's great about these small class sized is most of my professors know me on a first name basis so you are not just another number. While some people think this is a negative, you ultimately learn more this way and get more out of each class you take.

Facilities
Since UNLV is still a new school, new buildings replacing the old ones are popping up almost every year. The student union, student recreation and wellness center and the Urban Affairs College are just to name a few. All of these buildings are very modern to fit the fast growing metropolitan city of Las Vegas.

I personally think the new Student Recreation and Wellness Center is one of the best in the country. It’s 4 levels which includes a cardio room, racquetball courts, indoor basketball/soccer/volleyball courts, olympic sized lap pool, jacuzzi, leisure pool, locker rooms, weight room, great basketball courts and an indoor track with a great view of the strip. They also have a variety of classes available such as indoor cycling, yoga and kick boxing. What’s even better is this facility is free for students who are enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits). It’s not only free, but convenient to go before, in-between or after classes because of its long hours between 6 a.m. and 12 a.m. during the week.

Social
I’ve read that a lot of students have complained about UNLV being a “commuter school” so there is nothing to do on campus and it’s difficult to get involved. I disagree. UNLV strongly encourages student involvement and because of this there’s over 150 clubs and organizations on campus. If there isn’t one that you are interested in joining, you can start your own. Our student government will give you 500 to go towards funding.

Greek Life here is relatively small and there is no sponsored greek housing. None of the sororities have houses and a few of the fraternities do, but not all. It’s a small tight-knit group of people with a real sense of community and is hands down one of the best ways to meet people. However greek life isn’t for everyone, and there are plenty of other opportunities available to meet people and get involved.

For those students who are from Las Vegas, I would highly recommend living in the dorms. This gives you the college experience and it’s a great way to meet people. It’s required for freshman outside of Clark County to live in the dorms as well, so don’t sign a waiver to get out of it. The dorms are how you meet people.

Again, for those people that said UNLV doesn’t have a very good social environment, it’s because they haven’t given any effort into getting involved. College in general is what you make of it, so make it the best experience you possibly can.

Tuition/Price
I know of a lot of people who came to UNLV for the Millennium Scholarship and pay in-state tuition. This is a very affordable option. If you are an out-of-state student there are scholarships available as well such as the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program. You can also apply for residency after you have live in Vegas for a 12-month period.

I’m from California and I’m in the WUE, I pay less for UNLV as an out-of-state student than I would at a UC or Cal State School. I’m not only going to school for cheaper, I’m getting a very great education as well.

Overall, UNLV is a great school and it’s honestly what you make of it. If you want to have a positive experience, get involved, pick your professors wisely and focus on your school work. You won’t be disappointed.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: B+
I am about to graduate in at theBrightCommunications
I am about to graduate in at the end of this Fall semester (finished classes this past summer) and now looking back, I was very satisfied with my education here. For the price, people really need to stop talking so poorly about UNLV. It is quite obvious that the comments/reviews I've read here are based off of novice students at 100/200 level courses.

The diversity is amazing. Social life/events/the city- better not complain. I think UNLV takes great pride in all the things you can do here, extracurricular, etc. There are also several religious groups, activist groups, and social justice groups on campus as well- very philanthropic when you look beyond the young frats/sororities and the "Vegas" vibe.

My department was extremely... AMAZING when you hit the 300/400 level classes and graduate school. I think I can speak for other majors, it get's VERY competitive once you pass your gen eds! The faculty they get are from all kinds of places, very educated. Don't be surprised that the lower level courses have lower level kind of teaching. Get passed that and you'll see.

I wish I really participated more in UNLV's events. It's an awesome school that tries to have something for everyone.

My department rocked, department chair (retired) was such an amazing person and there are several favorites that I have that I know genuinely care for the education of their students, not their paycheck. There are many ways to succeed with the Academic Success Center, the FREE tutoring, ever-vivacious Student Union.UNLV is a high quality school and if you're paying in-state tuition, you better take advantage of it. I see I a lot of laziness as I go around campus and reflect these days. It's sad. Kids/new students do not realize what they've got.

5th Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C+
Many students that end up going to UNLVQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Many students that end up going to UNLV are instate students and residents of Las Vegas. Alot of students really don't want to go here because of the local mentality. They often feel ashamed when they get here. This school is a huge commuter school and it lacks a sense of school spirit and community. Living on campus is a whole different story because there is a sense of community with alot of friendly people. It's easy to make friends with everyone and there's so much to do. There's alot of opportunities at UNLV but alot of people take it for granted and the study abroad program is amazing. This school has a great financial aid packet and you really do get a bang for your buck. Many in-state students go here for the millenium scholarship but alot of them end up losing it. There's alot to do outside of campus. My best advice for having the time of your life at UNLV is live on campus, and many people don't realize is that alot of people are amazed that you go here if you go out of state!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2010