StudentsReview :: The University of Nevada - Las Vegas - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Nevada - Las Vegas

This is a great affordable university.Quite BrightMusic - Composition/Theory
This is a great affordable university. However, you absolutely must be your own advocate. It's not that advising staff can't or won't help, but they are generally so disorganized that they won't attempt to fix any issues until you explicitly and directly address them. My correct major wasn't in the computer system until my second semester. I've had to schedule meetings with my advisor to ensure that I graduate on time with all the right credits. My advisor has never contacted me about scheduling without my initiation. This is not the school for you if you are incapable of keeping track of every possible responsibility. That said, gen ed classes are incredibly easy. Far easier than any AP or Honors course I took in high school. However, classes associated with your major are incredibly challenging.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F
Coming from a girl who has lived inQuite BrightAccounting
Coming from a girl who has lived in Vegas for quite some time now, I would not recommend UNLV, for these reasons: UNLV Overall- Unlv is not a place for students who would like to expand their horizons, grow as an individual, and who would like to have frequent intellectual conversations with peers. UNLV is also not a place for the over achievers or hard workers. It is very easy to get an A at this school. Just do the bare minimum and you'll do great! UNLV also doesn't give students with high GPA'S (3.5-4.0's) much recognition. You would think one who maintained an above average GPA would have scholarships coming from left and right. Not the case. The campus size of UNLV is oh so small! I hate the fact that I see the same people every single day! I would like to attend a school where I can meet new and interesting people on a daily basis. The people here are of low quality. People are shallow and narrow-minded. People are pretty much carbon copies of each other here. Las Vegas period is not a place for unique, real, and ambitious people. Ages of students here range from 18-56 and I am not lying. Most of the older students (30-50) are undergrads! This school is for losers and high school slackers. If you aren't really an academic nut like myself you will most likely be seen as an outsider! Idk just my opinion. But what more can you expect from a cheap school and education? If you have the choice to go somewhere else, go! Don't get me wrong facilities here are pretty up-to-date like the GYM and the Library, but this place is just so depressing and negative! People here are always negative, miserable, or in a bad mood! Yuck! I can't wait to transfer!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: B-, Education Quality: F
I transferred into UNLV with 24 credits inQuite BrightPolitical Science
I transferred into UNLV with 24 credits in 2007. Since then, I've completed my Undergraduate Degree; however, that didn't come without tons of problems. I was recently diagnosed with a Math learning disability which prohibited me from passing my math course needed to complete my program. The Math Dept. made me re-take Math 95 (developmental math) 5 times!!! Every time I achieved a lower score than the last, and %50 of the math instructors spoke English at an unacceptable level, they only knew Mathematical english phrases and terms. I had to wait 1.5 years to have my problem recognized; furthermore, the Math Dept. did nothing to help even though they were fully aware of the fact that if someone doesn't pass a developmental math class after taking the class twice, the odds of them ever passing are slim to none. Because of the budget cuts at UNLV the Faculty, Staff, and Administrators have turned extremely bitter, they're so selfish that they put themselves and their job before the students. Lastly, UNLV is an Urban Research Institute, primarily focused on 'research' conducted only by Master's and PhD.-level students because they get the University Grants! Undergrad's do nothing for the University except for donating their money and time. If you have a choice between another University, regardless of it being public or private, DO NOT choose UNLV for your undergrad unless you wan't to have a really hard time. My wife is an administrator at UNLV and see's how none of the departments cooperate with each other and frankly don't care about the students, unless they directly affect them. This University unfortunately only see's us as a number unless we're at the graduate level or higher.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011