StudentsReview :: The University of Nevada Reno - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The University of Nevada Reno

Aug 05 2014Economics

Well worth the price of tuition. You won't find much cheaper rates.

5th Year Male -- Class 2009
Useful Schoolwork: A+, University Resource Use: C-

My "4 year" degree has taken closer to

May 18 2014Political Science
My "4 year" degree has taken closer to 6 years now. Each semester, I sign up for a full load, yet every semester without fail UNR drops one or two of the courses I've signed up for. Their excuse: budget cuts.

If budget cuts were the issue, why is it that they are building a fitness center as well as a field house? What happened to this lack of money?

I've done nothing wrong to have my college career screwed up so much. I should have graduated already. But because UNR can't get its shit together, its students end up suffering.If you can afford it, find a different University where they will treat you better. Where they will treat you like a student and not just a source of income.

5th Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

The University of Nevada, Reno residential life, housing,

Jan 16 2014Biology
The University of Nevada, Reno residential life, housing, and food service department has not been fair in its practices. I told the office over the phone that I had a family emergency where my sister had a roommate suddenly leave and she couldn't afford to live there without me moving in since the aforementioned roommate was paying for half of everything. The office informed me that I would not be refunded my $125 deposit and that I would owe 25% of the $2635 charge for the semester in the dorm, which means I'll lose $783.75 even though the move-in date isn't until this Sunday, January 19th. They offered to transfer my license agreement to the 2014-2015 academic year; however, I explained to them that this option wouldn't work since I begin pharmacy school in Colorado in August. Also, I spoke with the student I was assigned to live with, and she decided she no longer wanted a roommate. In other words, she chose to have the room all to herself, which means UNR won't be losing money because she'll be paying much more to be alone. Despite her filling this vacancy, UNR still expects me to pay the above-mentioned amount. I have no choice in paying because any financial aid covers UNR charges before I'm issued a refund check to use for food, gas, and other living expenses. Even if the student I was assigned to live with had still wanted a roommate, I believe this policy is unfair for students and the cancellation fee is ridiculously high. Moreover, this policy is not written on the housing application, but referenced in one sentence on the bottom of the last page in conveniently smaller font. Interestingly, I couldn't find this information anywhere on their website, but succeeded with an Internet search. Additionally, the Parking Services department informed me that there was a waiting list for the dorm garage because the faculty garage was full and some faculty were parking in the dorm garage now. This garage, meant for Sierra Hall dorm students, has 6 people on its wait list thanks to this situation. Finally, I'd like to provide a link that discusses issues students have had with meal plans, which are supervised by the same department that controls the dorms (http://unrforliberty.com/2008/06/lets-talk-about-greed-unr-housing-and_25.html). Please note that the article was written on June 25th, 2008 and demonstrates how long this problem has been around. I think at least hundreds of students, if not more, have been affected because 2440 students lived in the dorms for the 2012-2013 academic year. I wouldn't be surprised if many were forced to stay because they couldn't afford losing almost $800. I have contacted all local news stations with the hope that they will make the public aware of how this university mistreats its students because I don't see any other way for a significant change to manifest itself.

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR