StudentsReview :: The Metropolitan College of New York - Comments and Student Experiences

The Metropolitan College of New York

I'm a student who has worked in theQuite BrightOther
I'm a student who has worked in the Public Administration / Human Services field for over 6 years. I've also have had the opportunity of attending other colleges due to various re-locations for career purposes. Given my background and the advantage to compare this school first hand to other schools in NYC such as CUNY schools and out of state university such as University of Maryland, I find that the school has a lot of educational, social and field work advantage that other programs/schools do not provide.

Strategic Planning:
MCNY is designed around a constructive action paper which for people not familiar with this terminology it can be compared to a masters level thesis paper. This project needs to be completed alongside a internship/field work every semester, which for many of us is the death of us as its really long and at times a bit repetitive. One thing that I have noticed is, not only for myself but for many students, even the ones that complain, is that they use the fundamentals of the constructive action for many aspects of their professional and educational life without even noticing it. It a strong tool for strategic planning, whether you are opening a new business or planning an event, these are tools that will be used forever in life, perhaps not with the same terminology, but I guarantee you , it will be in the same order.

Social Advantage and Strengths:

Unlike other colleges, MCNY has their students work together from start to finish. Although you have some that have to move around due to academic failures or because they have fulfilled the requirements due to transfers or advanced standing generally everyone stays together. I have found that if it wasn't due to the bond of my group we would have had a lot of people just give up along the way. Having a consistent group is a major advantage that you will not get in other schools.

Who is complaining and Why?
I feel that a lot of the retaliation and negative comments are coming from a group of people who have not been exposed to professional settings where what they are learning is meaningful and relevant. Generally speaking its difficult for someone to enjoy, engage and retain information if the are not interested in it. I observed that many students who come straight from high school or with no solid work experience usually are the ones who complain and are very vocal on their dissatisfaction of what they consider a ?standard?. I believe perhaps their expectations are set by their high school experiences and the unfortunate increase in the understanding for this generations value of work ethic. These are the people who clock in to work at 9:15, get breakfast, sit at the desk, socialize with everyone, then check messages at 11:45, go on a lunch break, return and start work at 1:30, then have the audacity to state that the company or organization they work for doesn't want to promote them.

Overall Recommendation:
Every college, top university, private or public school has both positives and negatives to them. Many of the complaints regarding administration, financial aid, bursars, and registrars offices are common to most schools. I am currently employed by an Ivy League higher education school in NYC ( Medical School, PhD. Level) and the administrative mess at my institution makes MCNY look like heaven. Don't be fooled by a name as it isn't always what it seems.

Recommendation for any school:
Always resolve matters in person and with the upmost professionalism regardless of what you may perceive as an attitude, trust me you get things resolved much quicker and be respected for it. If you expect to get far in life you have to understand that strong arming and rowdiness is not going to get you very far.

If this is your first time in college or even a returning college student, make your school selection your first major research project and truly find out meaningful l information with statistics and reviews to ensure that where you are investing your time and money is worth it to YOU. MCNY is and has been 100% worth it to me, I hope you find your school whether it be here or somewhere else.

Everyone has their own opinion and this is mine, I hope it was helpful and gives whoever is reading this an opportunity to compare my review with the other students who have left comments here and come up with your own decision on what ?s best for you and your education future.Good Luck!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: B-
The MPA Program was great! I had greatSuper BrilliantPublic Policy
The MPA Program was great! I had great professors that pushed and challenged me, especially Prof. Oren M. Levin-Waldman. Prof. Levin-Waldman was an excellent top notch professor. I appreciate the experience. I can honestly state, without equivocation, that MCNY helped me become a much stronger professional. Most of the people that have written poor reviews can barely construct a proper sentence which likely explains why they have been so unsuccessful. Remember, It's not the role of MCNY faculty to cuddle students, it is however, their role to educate, challenge and motivate students. If you are looking for a cake walk you wont find it there. If you are looking for an accelerated challenge, I recommend MCNY!
1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A, Social Life: B-
I'm writing this review not to bash MCNY.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I'm writing this review not to bash MCNY. This is a real review from a previous student. I attended MCNY for Spring 2010 and part of Summer 2010. I would have to say that the students are friendly as a whole but of course there are a few that are touble makers and who are rude to professors. The professors I had did not really teach anything. I pretty much read books and wrote essays. The only class I actually learned something was in Math. The main problem that I had while at MCNY was when I left. This was in Fall 2010 when I got a call from my bank (Bank of America) and they told me that I had a loan taken out in my name taken out by MCNY. I was floored because I did not authorize them to do that. When I called the financial aid office I was given the run around by numerous employees.One employee told me this after I told him my problem "maybe they assumed you wanted to register for the fall and that's why we took out the loan". now see that was one of the dumbest things I've heard.That made no sense to me.After a week of called back and fourth I finally got the Dean to correct the problem.He of course apologized for the mistake.The problem with all the offices at MCNY is that they employ students who don't have experience with working with such vital information. I don't advise anyone to go to this school if they are looking for a quality education. You are pretty much paying for a piece of paper with no knowledge to back it up. I knew I wanted to one day purse a masters degree and if I would have stayed at MCNY I would have been cheating myself out. I now attend Bramson ORT College and I'm learning a lot more than I did at MCNY.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011