StudentsReview :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

I really enjoyed my time as a studentQuite BrightCommunications
I really enjoyed my time as a student at Adelphi. As someone who transferred from another university after having a miserable experience, I can easily say that Adelphi totally changed my views on college.

I primarily worked with the Communications and English departments. I found that professors in both departments were very accommodating. A majority were always willing to make time for you and were pleasant both in and out of class. I was especially impressed with the English department. I was actually an English minor, but they treated me no differently than one of their majors. They were always willing to sign any papers I needed to get a seat in a class marked for "majors only" and really worked with me to make sure I was growing as a writer and expressing the thoughts I wanted to. This treatment was really awesome and my appreciation for that particular department will never be forgotten.

As far as classes were concerned, I felt challenged enough during my time here. It was good because I was definitely learning, but I was never confused or felt overwhelmed. It was just the right amount of challenging for me, which really helped me adjust to college. I had my fair share of work (which you should in college) but never to the point where I felt like I was drowning in it.

Campus is actually pretty bustling. There are lots of events during the week at all different times of the day. They give out a lot of free food, shirts, and other items, which is cool. Just be aware that Adelphi does not have a "common hour" like some schools do, so you might have class during certain events. Also, Adelphi is primarily a commuter school, so the weekends tend to be a lot quieter.

Aside from events on campus, there are tons of opportunities to get involved on campus. There are so many clubs and organizations, and plenty of opportunities to find employment on campus. I held a few jobs on campus and all of my co-workers, whether they were students or actual faculty members, were always very friendly and great to work with. Greek Life is a fairly big presence on Adelphi's campus. You don't have to join one to get involved, but it does open up a lot of other doors for you if you're not quite sure where to start. There are no houses, and the chapters are smaller than what you'd find at a larger university, so for the most part it tends to be less stereotypical than what you might think of sororities and fraternities.

The one thing I do wish Adelphi had was a bit more school spirit. They are Division II, and a lot of the sports teams are actually very good and have impressive records. Unfortunately, the students just don't seem really into it. Midnight Madness (the school's pep really) is usually pretty packed, but the games themselves aren't. The coaches themselves are very personable and go out of their way to make connections with all students, not just their own athletes. I was in no way an athlete and had many pleasant conversations with several of the varsity coaches. They are always looking to help out other student organizations on campus, which is very kind. Them reaching out has helped to improve attendance at athletic events, particularly basketball, but there is always room for improvements.Overall, Adelphi is a pretty great school. Of course there are some things they need to work on (being more proactive about students' suggestions and parking issues would be my two biggest complaints) but overall I loved the school and felt like it was a great investment for my future.

4th Year Female -- Class 2016
Individual Value: A+, Campus Maintenance: B
This university is notBrightArchitecture
This university is not diverse at all. Everyone is basically Italian or Greek and the class room discussions about race are basically one sided. There is barely any representation for those who are not white students. I have yet to see a professor that is not white.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F
The school is useless.BrightComputer Science
The school is useless. I went here in hopes of learning all that I could to better my life for with a good career. I got A's and B's in all my classes. It's been 4 years now and i'm jobless.
4th Year Male -- Class 2012