StudentsReview :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

Feb 09 2005Chemistry
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I like this school. I assume its most likely because i'm more of a home body and i like to study.
1st Year Female -- Class 2007
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: B-
Aug 31 2004Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Looking back in time these years spent at Adelphi probably were my best years I ever had. Maybe because I was younger and had less responsibility or maybe for the fact that the people I met there where great. People say social life at Adelphi is lacking, well maybe recently but back in 93-96 life was pretty good. I see it as if you want to make friends you will....I did. The campus at the time had Thursday night get togethers....mostly for Frats and Sorts, but anyone could attend. Of campus bars at the time were popular as some of us hung out there, or maybe hanging in your friends dorm room. What ever you like to do at that time Adelphi was a pretty good place.....maybe the last time it was.
4th Year Male -- Class 1996
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B-
Mar 30 2004Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Although I'm an alumni (and now a graduate student at Adelphi as well), I thought I'd offer my experience at Adelphi for those who are considering going there.

Overall, I am happy with my education at Adelphi. I had attended a large university (with over 30,000 students) and didn't particularly like the impersonal environment. While you're just a social security # at the big schools, you really get to know your proffesors at Adelphi. With only 30 or so students in the class, your proffesors will know you by name (and you can count on getting a lot of great recommendations if you plan on going on to graduate school). Although it seems a lot like high school, some people really need an environment like this. I know being in a lecture hall with 100+ students and never having the chance to ask your proffesor a question was definitly not for me! The proffesors are excellent for the most part.

The social atmosphere at Adelphi is not what you expect when you think of going away to college. The incoming freshman are always disappointed, always complaining and really think that they are going to turn Adelphi into a party school. If you've been here for a while, you learn to accept the fact that Adelphi is NOT a party school. The students here are always complaining about the social life. However, I think it's really what you make of it. I pledged a sorority and had an awesome social life. If you just go to class and go home what kinda social life do you expect? Greek orgs and sports teams organize Adelphi bar nites every Tuesdays and Thursday nites usually so the social life isn't as dismal as it may seem. I had a great time! The weekends are quiet though, which gives you a break and forces you to study.

For the most part though the people are snobbish, but what do you expect for an expensive private school on Long Island??? Since most students are commuters, all of them tend to come to school all dressed up in their designer clothes. It's definitly not an intellectual environment and most students aren't motivated. If you take your education very seriously (which if you did you'd probably be going to a more reputable school anyway), the total apathy of the environment just brings you down.

I'd recommend Adelphi to two different groups of students:

1) those who are somewhat serious about their education and life and who aren't interested in being involved in the whole college scene.

2) Those you barely made it through high school, are only interested in partying and who are not yet mature enough to handle going to a "party" school. I think if I could do it again, I'd probably go to Hofstra. Hofstra is a little larger than Adelphi and offers more of the college type of experience.

5th Year Female -- Class 2003