StudentsReview ™ :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

I am now entering my seccond year in

Aug 11 2003Biology
I am now entering my seccond year in the university and quite honestly, I wish I had taken more consideration into choosing colleges. The school is very expensive and its not even that recognized for such a price. On top of that, the tuition isn't a fixed price; it goes up by like 3% every year. Financial aid was okay, alot of students receive aid, but if you want to talk to someone in the fin. aid office, don't be surprised if you get attitude. The classes are okay, the professors are good; alot of them graduated from top notch universities to teach here. The dorms, if you can afford it, go ahead, they look nice, but the campus pretty much gets deserted on weekends because people go home. As for the extracurricular activities, if you are a commuter student, like me, they are not easy to get a hold of. Most activities go on at night, like after 6 so if you can handle staying on campus all day, go ahead. As for me, I can't so I just go straight home. Parking is not good. There are ALOT of commuters on campus and it is not easy to get parking when your pressed for time. The social life here is pretty boring, you pretty much see the same faces every day since this is a small campus and the parties on campus, although they do try, are bad. The student body has a majority of females (like over 70%) and there is not alot of minority representation. As a commuter, I pretty much go to class and leave campus as fast as I can becuase there is not alot for me to do. They do have a lounge, but thats about it. The food's not that bad, although I do suggest packing your own lunch because it is pricey and it does add up. Overall, the education is good but I'd say not worth the price.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F

I am a freshman that lives on campus

Apr 27 2003Business - Management and Administration
I am a freshman that lives on campus at Adelphi. I am among the few people that are from out of state, as a matter of fact out of long island or queens. Whether you like Adelphi depends on the person you are. Throughout high school I always wanted a real college experience. That is not what I got here. For one I am not familiar with the area or the people so it's hard for me to relate with students. Everyone here already has close friends or at least can spend time with people around their neighborhood. Many of the students don't have any real school spirit. They just come to school to go to class and then go back home. Even the people who dorm just go home especially on the weekends. People hardly attend campus events. Many of the organizations are lacking because people aren't committed or other students don't participate in their events. The campus is pretty much dead on the weekends. Secondly, the students and facutly are so-so. Most of the teachers that I've had have been friendly and approachable. The classes are so small that it is very one-on-one. It was much easier to adjust from high school. The administration is very condescending and even rude at times. Many of them are uppity older women from Garden City that speak to you as if you are an idiot. Let's not even talk about the financial aide office, which has proved very unhelpful to me everytime I've been there. The students are normally kind but very cliquey. People are civil but most likely only hang around their own crowd of friends. The student body is also very divided culturally. Many of the students are snobby and close minded. Thirdly, being an minority student on campus is not fun. There aren't many resources for minority students on campus. Coming from a predominantly minority high school to Adelphi was a good and bad experience. It allowed me to deal with many different people but also the prejudices from many different people. Overall, if you are a minority, from out of new york, want a real college experience and don't want to deal with stuck-up administration, I suggest you don't attend Adelphi. And most importantly!!!!!! If you don't want to pay outrageous amounts of money for a school that just isn't worth it. And if you don't want to but a book for $125 and get $30 back for it. That is all.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: D-

I myself am a commuter student and you'll

Apr 01 2003Unknown
I myself am a commuter student and you'll enjoy the school if you enjoy spending too much time looking for parking. But wait, thats only because they are building a new dorm, so it should be temporary. Umm, honestly, if I could go back a year and redo my whole college choosing process, I don't think it would be here. I think its too expensive and as a commuter student, this school isn't too commuter friendly. Most of the extra-curricular things like meetings are at night, and if you enjoy going home and then commuting back here for a meeting or something like that, do you, but I dont. As for parties.. no. Not here. They do try hard, like they get Hot 97 or some other thing to come live and party, but its not a party if people don't go. Academically, i've had my share of experiences. And you will too. Overall, its good.
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: D+