StudentsReview :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

I am a freshman that lives on campusBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am a freshman that lives on campus at Adelphi. I am among the few people that are from out of state, as a matter of fact out of long island or queens. Whether you like Adelphi depends on the person you are. Throughout high school I always wanted a real college experience. That is not what I got here. For one I am not familiar with the area or the people so it's hard for me to relate with students. Everyone here already has close friends or at least can spend time with people around their neighborhood. Many of the students don't have any real school spirit. They just come to school to go to class and then go back home. Even the people who dorm just go home especially on the weekends. People hardly attend campus events. Many of the organizations are lacking because people aren't committed or other students don't participate in their events. The campus is pretty much dead on the weekends. Secondly, the students and facutly are so-so. Most of the teachers that I've had have been friendly and approachable. The classes are so small that it is very one-on-one. It was much easier to adjust from high school. The administration is very condescending and even rude at times. Many of them are uppity older women from Garden City that speak to you as if you are an idiot. Let's not even talk about the financial aide office, which has proved very unhelpful to me everytime I've been there. The students are normally kind but very cliquey. People are civil but most likely only hang around their own crowd of friends. The student body is also very divided culturally. Many of the students are snobby and close minded. Thirdly, being an minority student on campus is not fun. There aren't many resources for minority students on campus. Coming from a predominantly minority high school to Adelphi was a good and bad experience. It allowed me to deal with many different people but also the prejudices from many different people. Overall, if you are a minority, from out of new york, want a real college experience and don't want to deal with stuck-up administration, I suggest you don't attend Adelphi. And most importantly!!!!!! If you don't want to pay outrageous amounts of money for a school that just isn't worth it. And if you don't want to but a book for $125 and get $30 back for it. That is all.
1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: D-
I myself am a commuter student and you'llBright
I myself am a commuter student and you'll enjoy the school if you enjoy spending too much time looking for parking. But wait, thats only because they are building a new dorm, so it should be temporary. Umm, honestly, if I could go back a year and redo my whole college choosing process, I don't think it would be here. I think its too expensive and as a commuter student, this school isn't too commuter friendly. Most of the extra-curricular things like meetings are at night, and if you enjoy going home and then commuting back here for a meeting or something like that, do you, but I dont. As for parties.. no. Not here. They do try hard, like they get Hot 97 or some other thing to come live and party, but its not a party if people don't go. Academically, i've had my share of experiences. And you will too. Overall, its good.
1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: D+
I chose to attend Adelphi University as aQuite BrightEconomics
I chose to attend Adelphi University as a transfer student mainly because of its convenience for me as a commuting student who works full time and lives nearby. After a full year with the University, the third in my total college career, I was recently told that my graduation will be postponed, perhaps indefinitely, because the University will not be able to offer the courses I need to graduate at any other time than in the middle of the day. I was given the options to either change my major, stay in school far longer than I should, or transfer to another school. After reviewing my options, I have found that it will be in my personal best interests to transfer to another institution. Although everyone's needs and situations are different, I have found that the scheduling of classes at Adelphi is impossible even for those who are full time students with entire days open for classes. The administration staff is a completely separate entity from the teachers within the University. Almost every one of my teachers at Adelphi has been experienced as well as helpful. Nothing near the same can be said for the administrative staff; even the library staff have proved themselves incapable. On the positive side, the campus is beautiful but small; if you are looking for a small low key college, then Adelphi is a good choice. Unless you enjoy going to the smaller typical college bars in the area, a trip to the city is necessary for any semblance of a social life. I personally am not interested in a "college experience", but if you are looking for one, chances are Adelphi will not be able to meet that demand. Perhaps my personality, and perhaps the fact that I am a commuting student, lend to the fact that I have made few friends through the school. Classmates are generally friendly and helpful with each other, but little extends from the in-class relationship. However, the friends that I have made are great. After my experience with Adelphi, I would have to say that if given a second chance, I would not attend the school again for many reasons. I would rather take my favorite teachers and move them to a more academically challenging and more accommodating university.
1st Year Female -- Class 2003