StudentsReview :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

I myself am a commuter student and you'llBright
I myself am a commuter student and you'll enjoy the school if you enjoy spending too much time looking for parking. But wait, thats only because they are building a new dorm, so it should be temporary. Umm, honestly, if I could go back a year and redo my whole college choosing process, I don't think it would be here. I think its too expensive and as a commuter student, this school isn't too commuter friendly. Most of the extra-curricular things like meetings are at night, and if you enjoy going home and then commuting back here for a meeting or something like that, do you, but I dont. As for parties.. no. Not here. They do try hard, like they get Hot 97 or some other thing to come live and party, but its not a party if people don't go. Academically, i've had my share of experiences. And you will too. Overall, its good.
1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: D+
I chose to attend Adelphi University as aQuite BrightEconomics
I chose to attend Adelphi University as a transfer student mainly because of its convenience for me as a commuting student who works full time and lives nearby. After a full year with the University, the third in my total college career, I was recently told that my graduation will be postponed, perhaps indefinitely, because the University will not be able to offer the courses I need to graduate at any other time than in the middle of the day. I was given the options to either change my major, stay in school far longer than I should, or transfer to another school. After reviewing my options, I have found that it will be in my personal best interests to transfer to another institution. Although everyone's needs and situations are different, I have found that the scheduling of classes at Adelphi is impossible even for those who are full time students with entire days open for classes. The administration staff is a completely separate entity from the teachers within the University. Almost every one of my teachers at Adelphi has been experienced as well as helpful. Nothing near the same can be said for the administrative staff; even the library staff have proved themselves incapable. On the positive side, the campus is beautiful but small; if you are looking for a small low key college, then Adelphi is a good choice. Unless you enjoy going to the smaller typical college bars in the area, a trip to the city is necessary for any semblance of a social life. I personally am not interested in a "college experience", but if you are looking for one, chances are Adelphi will not be able to meet that demand. Perhaps my personality, and perhaps the fact that I am a commuting student, lend to the fact that I have made few friends through the school. Classmates are generally friendly and helpful with each other, but little extends from the in-class relationship. However, the friends that I have made are great. After my experience with Adelphi, I would have to say that if given a second chance, I would not attend the school again for many reasons. I would rather take my favorite teachers and move them to a more academically challenging and more accommodating university.
1st Year Female -- Class 2003
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F
If you want a real college experience Adelphi is definitlyAveragePsychology
If you want a real college experience Adelphi is definitly not the place to go. The campus is nice and in a good suburban location, about a half hour away from New York City. The student body is diverse, but very small and most students are commuters. If you commute to Adelphi (unless you still hang out with all your high school friends) dont plan on having much of a social life. Students who live on campus usually don't live more than a half hour away from home. The students are very cliquey and the campus is small enough to know everyone else's business. Being a dry campus, there isn't much partying over here. Going out on Thursday nites to local bars is a big thing as most students go home Fridays and don't come back till Mondays. Weekends are usually a time to study since the dorms are empty. Academically Adelphi is very laid back. Few students actually care about their grades. However, most of the teachers are pretty good. Adelphi's not a bad school, but if I had to do it again, I'd definitly go somewhere else. Adelphi's good if you wanna be close to home, prefer a smaller school and want to focus more on your school work rather than partying. If you're from out of state, I'd suggest looking at Hofstra University for a more college-type experience.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2003