StudentsReview :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

If you want an

May 05 2012Political Science
If you want an expensive, mediocre education with little campus life this is your school. About 80% of the students transfer after the first year. Most go to more reputable schools on Long Island.

The school is in need of improvement, (New

Mar 19 2012Social Work
The school is in need of improvement, (New library, computers, and overall maintenance). The modules are to be completed using the instructions that are offered in the packets, but they are outdated and confusing. I do not believe that the modules are helpful and should discontinue using them. Some facilitators expect the students to think as they do and the majority have PhD. They do not understand that we ARE students and still in the process of learning.I was told that it would take 3 years to earn my bachelors but it has taken 4. I was told that I was required to earn 128 credits to graduate,now I'm told it's 132. I have keep my GPA over 3.4 and never failed a course so I don't understand why I must continue to take more classes. They employ some great teachers that do offer one on one assistance and most of the staff is friendly and helpful, but unfortunately it's not enough. If I knew then, what I know now, I would not have enrolled into this college. Overall, I was very disappointed.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A-, Education Quality: F

Pros:

Jul 13 2012History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Pros:
1) It's a nice school for young adults of average intelligence (meaning people who did "average" in high school) from Long Island. This is primarily the student population that the school attracts.

2) The school is more affordable than others. Most of the students get at least a little bit of scholarship money. Most students also save money by living at home and working part time.

3) Overall the quality of education is pretty good. Like all schools, the school has its good and bad professors, caring and uncaring professors.

Cons:
1) Almost all of the students live within commuting distance and are happy with their lives on Long Island. So while the student population is nice enough, people are not really looking to make friends.

2) Because Adelphi's reputation does not extend beyond Long Island, most students seek jobs on Long Island. But there are very few jobs on Long Island and the few that there are pay very little. This a problem considering the high cost of living on Long Island. The professors and administration seek to "solve" this problem by pushing everyone to go to graduate school. I wouldn't say that this school is "good" or "bad." Just be aware of what you're hoping to get out of a college and make sure that this school suits your needs.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F