StudentsReview :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

The school is in need of improvement, (New

Mar 19 2012Social Work
The school is in need of improvement, (New library, computers, and overall maintenance). The modules are to be completed using the instructions that are offered in the packets, but they are outdated and confusing. I do not believe that the modules are helpful and should discontinue using them. Some facilitators expect the students to think as they do and the majority have PhD. They do not understand that we ARE students and still in the process of learning.I was told that it would take 3 years to earn my bachelors but it has taken 4. I was told that I was required to earn 128 credits to graduate,now I'm told it's 132. I have keep my GPA over 3.4 and never failed a course so I don't understand why I must continue to take more classes. They employ some great teachers that do offer one on one assistance and most of the staff is friendly and helpful, but unfortunately it's not enough. If I knew then, what I know now, I would not have enrolled into this college. Overall, I was very disappointed.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A-, Education Quality: F

First things first, I have a lot to

Jan 13 2012Business - Management and Administration
First things first, I have a lot to say on this topic. I think that Adelphi University is a great school if you want a Nursing program or even an Education since those two progams are absolutely amazing and actually set you up for the real world with jobs...etc. I feel like with this school if you don't know someone within your major that could pull strings to get an internship or a hook up with a job then you are pretty much doing everything on your own. They throw lessons and lectures at you and expect you to just sponge everything up without really understanding the material. With dorming and tuition the school is EXPENSIVE, i pay $40,000 A YEAR. You would think a school that your paying so much for you would get so much academic and social experience from but NO you really don't. Every other day you get campus wide emails from someone saying there is a Water shutdown in one of the buildings or a Heat shutdown, whatever the case may be. You would have thought that wouldn't really be an issue every other week for a school with such high tuition. Makes you think where your money is really going.

If you are in high school and attending an event like Students Acceptance Day, Open House, Info Sessions...etc, if you want to see what the students and people are TRULY like grow some balls and go up to a RANDOM Adelphi student and have a brief convo with them and you will see exactly how it is. Everyone who works the events, people at the registration table, people speaking to you directly, tour guides...etc are all HIRED by a marketing department and are SUPPOSEDDDDD to be nothing but nice and nothing but positive about the University. If you want a true outlook of the school go to it and sit in a regular class as a perspective student and speak one on one with someone instead of listening and observing. The social life here is just like high school except its college. If you are not in a fraternity or sorority or in any clubs on campus you are a loser and are left out since you don't really know about any upcoming parties...etc. Safety is the one thing that is good about this school but yet it is also a bad thing. They are SO supervised in this school and have so many rules in the dorm rooms that you almost feel like you don't have your own freedom. Granted you learn how to do your own laundry, how to live on your own and manage time and money but as far as little things go as in privacy, being you (blasting any type of music you want), having whoever you want over your dorm for how ever long, even doing or straightening your hair (girls) IS LIMITED! It's crazy how much I didn't realize it until now that I am in this college (I'm a Junior), that I didn't make the right choice in going here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Social Life: D-

This website haunted me when I had decided

Mar 15 2012Criminal
This website haunted me when I had decided to attend Adelphi University. The reviews here are VERY biased and one-sided. Even though I am only in my second semester here, I can give you a decent overview of Adelphi University.

My background: Criminal Justice major, student-athelte, white, in-state commuter student
Adelphi is a good school. However, it is VERY expensive. If you're looking to dorm, expect $40,000 a year. If you have the money (and I don't mean loans!) you should look into Adelphi. If Adelphi offers you a decent scholarship, you should look into AU.

There are those classes and there are those professors that are terrible. But for the most part, the professors and faculty at AU are easy to work with and are quite helpful. The classes are not very challenging as long as you have a decent understanding of time management. Pay attention, do your work, you'll be fine. Make sure to ask other students which professors are good and are easy to work with when making your schedule.

The campus is beautiful. However, the campus is VERY small. Parking is terrible. Adelphi is approximately 75% commuter students from Long Island so the lots are PACKED during the day. All of the buildings, besides a few dorm halls, are quite new. Garden City is a stuck up rich town. Its beautiful, but the people are very stuck up. There is a small town a block from the school. The train station to Manhattan is a block from campus. The biggest mall on the Island is five minutes away, Roosevelt Field. Jones Beach and Long Beach are fifteen-twenty minutes away.

If you dorm, the weekends are a ghost town. Like I said, Adelphi is approximately 75% commuter students who live at home. Night life ON CAMPUS sucks at Adelphi. If you're looking to drink and have fun in the dorms, this isn't the school for you. The RA's and administration are very strict about on campus drinking. Its a DRY CAMPUS. However, local bars have college nights, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, sometimes Saturday, 18+ you can definitely have fun at these places (Nachos, Dizzy's, McHebes, Dublin's, etc). But these places can get stale. There are off campus parties, you'll hear about them if you're social.

My number one piece of advice to you is this: GET INVOLVED. If you're a commuter, GET INVOLVED especially! Do you want to go to class, go to work, and go home to be your daily routine for four years? You'll go insane. Join clubs. Join a fraternity or a sorority (the BEST way to meet people and become involved). Intramural teams. Hell, if you're athletic, try and walk onto an official NCAA team. Give it a shot. Adelphi is Division 2, the sports aren't THAT talented. Just whatever you do, make sure you get involved at Adelphi. Make the most out of what they offer and you'll enjoy every day there.

The people who are complaining and bashing AU are those that had one bad experience here. Or the people that never got involved. Or the people who came to Adelphi and couldn't afford the tuition. This is college ladies and gentlemen. Let's use our heads. Think about this decision, its one of the most important decisions of your life.

To recap...consider Adelphi if:

- a small campus and an expensive tuition doesn't bother you
- you received a scholarship, either academic, athletic, or both
- you will be playing a sport (NCAA)
- you are interested in Greek life
- you want to be a nursing major, psych major, or education (STEP PROGRAM)
Good luck and I hope to see you here!

1st Year Male -- Class 2015