StudentsReview ™ :: Adelphi University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Adelphi University

If you are a pre-med/dental/opt student, do not

May 23 2013Biology
If you are a pre-med/dental/opt student, do not rely on the pre-professional advisement or career office. I really felt that they could have been more useful in terms of providing information about opportunities outside of school, but I guess I expected too much with the amount of tuition I paid. They will give you little to no feedback, and tell you things that could have been found out from a basic web search (research, internships, continuing education). You're basically on your own once you graduate, so make sure you have your healthcare/research experience taken care of before applying to med school or etc. The faculty members are helpful and friendly for the most part, but it really is up to you if you want to seek out research opportunities in their department. If you stay self-motivated, you will be fine.
Starting Job: Grad Student Preparedness: F Reputation: D+
Feb 03 2013Unknown

The campus is a ghost town on weekends and weekdays.

Adelphi isn't anything special as a school overall,

Jan 25 2013Other
Adelphi isn't anything special as a school overall, but it's good. The facilities are mostly either renovated or new so there's nothing too bad. I commute (like most people there) but I hear that some of dorm halls aren't updated. There isn't air conditioning in dorm halls like Eddy and Linen, so that can't be good.

I was close-minded about looking into other schools and made Adelphi my one and only choice, which was a terrible decision on my part. The #1 part of college is education of course, but another part of it is about the social life. I didn't expect Adelphi to be such a commuter heavy school. People come, they get their classes done, and go home. I try to stay and find things to do, but there isn't enough people around to do anything. People were friendly during orientation and the first week, but that's disappeared since then. Everyone has their group of friends, including myself, but no one wants to expand and be sociable with other people. I feel I try to, but I get nothing in conversation with others or they don't look to talk. I'm one of many people who feel this way.I already have to transfer next year for financial purposes, but I won't be disappointed about leaving to say the least. If you get a full scholarship and don't plan on spending much time at Adelphi other than classes, then go for it. If you expect a decent social life there, you're expecting too much.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016