StudentsReview :: Berkeley College Westchester Campus - Comments and Student Experiences

ITT Technical Institute (San Diego) -- San Diego, CA
Cornell College -- Mount Vernon, IA
Princeton Theological Seminary -- Princeton, NJ

Berkeley College Westchester Campus

I sucks. Getting in is a breeze because

Aug 06 2013Business - Management and Administration
I sucks. Getting in is a breeze because they'll take anyone who's willing to pay for it. After you're in, you'll question why you're paying thousands of dollars for housing that's not worth it or how you didn't get enough loans to cover your balance. It's definitely a for-profit college and the students are the cash cows. It's rare that students even stay after their 4th quarter.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Collaboration/Competitive: C, Useful Schoolwork: F

This so called "college" is a complete joke

Jul 18 2010Other
This so called "college" is a complete joke. I transferred to Berkeley after I left the University of Massachusetts after my mother passed away. Berkeley is quite convenient to my house so I just figured it would be a reasonable commute with a solid education. When I met with administration upon being accepted all my opinions of the college were positive. Everyone was friendly and really enthused about working and or attending Berkeley. It wasn't until I started attending Berkeley that I realized just the opposite. Those people whom introduced me to the college slowly disappeared and I was left with a college full of inadequate and unprofessional administrators, professors and deans. Although I lived only a few minutes away, I chose to dorm to get the full on college experience. That was by far the worst mistake. All appliances in the room were broken every other day so it seemed and the people I was assigned to live with were all lazy, mean and disrespectful people. Overall, this is a "fake" college where nothing good comes from attending.

I am a student who came from out

Dec 15 2010Unknown
I am a student who came from out of state. i was accepted to 12 other schools, but chose Berkeley because I liked the location, and because I could earn my bachelor's degree in three years. However after being here for a quarter, i have been EXTREMELY disappointed, and am transferring to an out- of- state university.

First off, the admissions process. The school lost a form that they requested I send to them, it had my credit card number and personal information on it. Then, they tried to enroll me for a campus that did not have dorms, and i come from a different state that is six hours away.

I got an admissions counselor, that worked for a different campus than the one that I had applied for. She rarely returned my calls. Then, one week before I was supposed to move to the school, she decided to call me to let me know that I was missing about 3 different forms!

IHowever, I set these few mistakes aside, thinking that my experience would get better, it did not. When I moved into my dorm, i was told that I would have two roommates, I had three, in a rom that was fit for two people. The room is not equipped with an oven, however there is no cafeteria.

Then, one of my roommates sold marijuana to many other students in the school. Also, they drank alcohol in the room repeatedly. When i requested to move rooms, I was told that I could not change rooms unless I told the Resident Assistance why i was requesting to move. i did so, and wrote a statement. By this point, the RA, the Residents Hall Director, and the Assistant Dean of students and campus life were aware of the situation, they did nothing. They didn't even allow me to change rooms. this was because the school had over packed the dorms, because according to the Assistant Dean, they plan on students leaving after the first quarter. Basically, this meant that they would not change my room because they put too many people in each room to make more money. Finally, about a month later, i was cornered in my room by two other students, and the school moved me to a room that had an available bed for three weeks by that time.

There were countless other issues that I, as well as other students, experienced. From the toilet system clogging weekly, to fire drills and floor meetings at 10:00 PM.

Also, the admissions counselors brag to incoming freshmen that Berkeley College does not increase tuition because it freezes, however what they conveniently forget to mention is that the cost of housing and "administrative fees" goes up every year, without proper notice. This meant that I, a student paying for college on my own, had to shell out an extra $200+ per quarter thereafter.

So far, i have just discussed briefly a few common issues with this campus, that does not even include the academic side of the school.

The professors at this school are definitely the strong point, I have had some amazing professors who are very knowledgable about the subject. However, they are constantly forced to "dumb down" their courses because students do not attend classes, or put any type of effort into their education.

I actually had a midterm and a final for a class in which the professor gave us the questions, word for word, before we had to take the exam, and then the tests were both open note. How does this teach students?

Another final consisted of doing a five minute power point, half which was supposed to be about the student. A third final I had consisted of a two slide Power Point which the students were given the directions on how to complete (such as writing out name on the slide, and adding a picture.)As previously stated, I am transferring out of this school, as are many other students. Please, do yourself a favor, if you are even considering Berkeley College, run in the opposite direction, and DO NOT go!

1st Year Female -- Class 2013