StudentsReview :: Cornell University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Cornell University

Cornell is *THE* most overrated school is America.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Cornell is *THE* most overrated school is America. The Greek scene as well as the lack of off campus entertainment here makes it much less about school and much more about who's who. The classes are a joke- this place is basically an extremely nice looking state school with mediocre academics. Those who complain that the classes are too hard do so because they spend to much time getting smashed Wednesday to Sunday. The students are uninspiring and rely on the Cornell network to become successful, not on their own initiative and hard work.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: D
Fantastic academics (in generally), but very self absorbedBrightMechanical Engineering
Fantastic academics (in generally), but very self absorbed student body. For the most part professors are genuinely interested in teaching the students and are approachable for help. Some are arrogant and snobby but it happens at every university. Engineering classes actually teach value material and assignments improve your engineering skills. Lots of extracurricular activities. The workload can be extremely rough sometimes, but as long as you do your work and study it's actually not that hard to do well.

The biggest problem is the student body. Yes, this is a party school. Some people actually care about their academics at a school that costs 60k+ per year. But too many seem to be more preoccupied with getting drunk/high on weekends because it's the cool thing to do. Kids like to joke that "you aren't an alcoholic until you graduate" and I know several people who are legitimate alcoholics here. People love to talk about how they're ****ed for final exams because they didn't study (ha ha, failing is fun apparently) instead of buckling down and actually doing legitimate work. A surprising number of students abuse adderall probably less to focus on work and more to fit in with the ridiculous school culture. And since it's an Ivy League, half the students wear $1000 coats in the winter (I'm not joking) and love to judge everyone elses' fashion and appearance. TL;DR: I went to Cornell expecting great academics and an intelligent student body. I got one of those things. Probably the most important thing I've learned spending a year here is that people who get high SAT scores are not necessarily intelligent in any way.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: C+
I remember reading the comments about Cornell someQuite BrightMechanical Engineering
I remember reading the comments about Cornell some time ago, after I got accepted. I remember reading a lot of negative, cut-throat comments. NOT TRUE! All I can say is that Cornell is the best thing that happened to me in a while... I would never change it to Harvard or any other you-name-it-school.

If you ask me, the party scene is big. Maybe it is just me and the people I have met? I don't know. However, I consider myself a social person, I drink, have fun, enjoy opposite sex' company. I never thought it would be that good... Things just WORK thats all I can say.

The campus is gorgeous. I've drove through the whole US, traveled to 15 countries in Europe (in fact I was raised in Europe), and without hesitation I can say this is a beautiful place to live! Every time I walk through campus I'm amazed I'm here...

Studying engineering... Academics are amazing, professors very approachable. Yes, you will have to pull a significant amount of all nighters but its really all up to you! I really cant help myself and not go out on weekends and I'm still able to pull ~3.4.If you're hesitating... don't! Visit the campus now and say yes! Peace out...

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Individual Value: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
Compare CornellSave Cornell

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→