StudentsReview ™ :: Cornell University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Cornell University

I'm a current engineering student at Cornell and

Mar 10 2014Mechanical Engineering
I'm a current engineering student at Cornell and I've had quite a horrible experience up to this point. The classes are not particularly challenging in the way they should be. Grade deflation is simply HUGE and your GPA will look horrible compared to one you could receive at any other school. The prelims are so impossible to do well on no matter how hard you study and no matter how much you think you know and understand the material. Everyone around you is super competitive and only cares about him/herself. I felt extremely alone especially because I found it difficult to make any friends in my major. I was valedictorian in high school and now I would be considered at the lower end of my class. It was also extremely difficult to get involved around campus because everything you could do you had to try out for and had to be a superstar. The only way to a social life is through the greek system which is completely centered around money, where you live, and who you know. The system is quite horrible. I personally had a very bad experience with the people I met at Cornell although many people did not share the same problem. Sports are a joke and the weather sucks. I'm sorry but I don't have much positive to say.
Campus Aesthetics: A, Scholastic Success: F

I was a double major - Math and

Jan 26 2014Mechanical Engineering
I was a double major - Math and Computer Science, and the two departments measured in terms of faculty and students, were very different. The Math department seems very relaxed and while some students may come across as... eccentric, most are friendly. My advisor was incredibly accessible. I could pop in to discuss any questions/issues I may have with him anytime. The Computer Science department was a bit more intense. My advisor had not gotten tenure and came across as very high-strung. What I did like about the school was the seemingly endless options. Where else can you take a class to learn how to milk a cow and a wine-tasting class? While the central campus is frequently bustling, you can always find a quiet spot to study and unwind. There was an extensive selection of housing and dining options. Also, the campus is absolutely gorgeous.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2001
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C

I came here from a state school hoping

Oct 29 2013Biology
I came here from a state school hoping to escape closet racism, anti-intellectualism, and overall apathy. I have found all of those aspects here at Cornell. If you aren't hearing about "how f*cked" someone is for their upcoming "prelim" (a snooty word that Cornell loves to use instead of the word "test") because they "totally didn't study at all and will completely fail, lol!", then that might be because you are instead overhearing some guys talk about how they snuck into a crowded frat party and stole 2 beers from their cooler.

People here think they're the shit because they are better at playing the admissions game than students at other schools but I haven't really seen any glaring differences between my peers at my state school and here.

Academically - I am only taking 12 credits and am just as busy as I was when I was taking 15. I do think its a little more rigorous here and I guess that's why the degree carries such weight. Unfortunately about a third of what I'm doing is busywork that is harshly graded by nitpicky TA's who would much rather be doing their own research rather than grading students' hastily scribbled worksheets.I don't know what I expected coming here from my old school. College is college... do your 4 years and get out.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015