StudentsReview :: Cornell University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Cornell University

Sep 08 2014Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The best!!!Starting my second year. Cornell is the perfect University in terms of academics, friends, campus, professors, social scene, etc. Came here over Columbia and Dartmouth (and UVA, I'm from Virginia) and it was definitely the right decision. A lot of work, but it is manageable. Beautiful dorms. Great food. Amazing job opportunities. I am already being contacted about very well paid summer internships.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Friendliness: A+, Surrounding City: A-
Jun 19 2014Mechanical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Cornell will definitely push you harder than you ever have been, but that's what you come to college for. Your experience here depends on how you take the challenges you are faced with. You can either sit down and whine about it (like it seems like quite a few people on here have done) or take some initiative and push through it. Hardest part for me was the multitude of distractions that would be much more fun to do than sitting down and studying (which isn't necessarily bad, would rather have options than nothing else to do). My advice: find a solid group of friends you can study with (very hard to do well without some help, so find that help. It's not as hard to come by as other people make it out to be. Also friends can really come in handy when you need the answers to the practice test that the teacher never released but your friend somehow got a hold of it), do your work (don't skip an assignment because the homework is only worth 5% of your overall grade, doing the homework directly correlates to doing better on the test, you can't argue with that), and just try things (you're not going to be the best, but not to be too cliched you can't succeed if you don't try. Also you'll be 10x happier doing things besides just schoolwork). Most importantly, don't freak out, you'll do fine. It's just a school not the dungeon of torture some people make it out to be. In my opinion Cornell was probably the best thing for me in my entire life. Not only has it been a blast, but it shows you what the real world will be like. I can tell once I graduate life will be much easier because I'll be ready.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B-
Mar 10 2014Mechanical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm a current engineering student at Cornell and I've had quite a horrible experience up to this point. The classes are not particularly challenging in the way they should be. Grade deflation is simply HUGE and your GPA will look horrible compared to one you could receive at any other school. The prelims are so impossible to do well on no matter how hard you study and no matter how much you think you know and understand the material. Everyone around you is super competitive and only cares about him/herself. I felt extremely alone especially because I found it difficult to make any friends in my major. I was valedictorian in high school and now I would be considered at the lower end of my class. It was also extremely difficult to get involved around campus because everything you could do you had to try out for and had to be a superstar. The only way to a social life is through the greek system which is completely centered around money, where you live, and who you know. The system is quite horrible. I personally had a very bad experience with the people I met at Cornell although many people did not share the same problem. Sports are a joke and the weather sucks. I'm sorry but I don't have much positive to say.
Campus Aesthetics: A, Scholastic Success: F