StudentsReview :: Cornell University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

I am a Freshman at Cornell's School ofSuper BrilliantOther
I am a Freshman at Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations and I could not be happier anywhere else. I came to Cornell very apprehensive of the social scene because it was the only school I applied to that was not in a city and I thought the social life would be terrible. Even now, I am so surprised that such a group of intelligent people can be so social. There are ALWAYS things going on here and you will never be bored, I promise. Such a focus on campus is a really neat "typical" college experience. You have your whole life to live in a city and go clubbing, so enjoy laying out in the arts quad or swimming in the gorges. The mentality "study hard, party hard" truly describes life at Cornell and the diversity of people here is amazing, especially academic. What other school can you have people who want to run a hotel, grow wine, work for a union or become an engineer? Another amazing thing about Cornell is that it has the resources of a large university but your individual school gives you alot of personal attention. One thing about Cornell, which I like the most about it is that it is very pre-proffesional. VERY pre-proffesional, with perhaps the exeption of Arts and Sceince. This focus creates a student body that is very career minded and focused. Cornell is not the type of place where you will lay out and talk about the meaning of life and philosophy. You will have intrsting discussions but the student body is much more "professional" and wants to learn usefull skills and not waste their time on a glorified liberal arts program. Also, if you want to go move to New York City after graduation, COME HERE. There are an insane amount of alumni there and internships. Of last years graduating class something like 35% of grads moved there. So if you want to come to a school with a vibrant campus focused social scene, a professionally focused student body and great resources come here. If not, well, there's always Harvard...
1st Year Male -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
I loved my time at Cornell.Quite BrightEngineering Department
I loved my time at Cornell. The campus is beautiful, and the population is large enough that you can find all different personalities of people. It is easy to find people with similar interests as well as people who enjoy holding thoughtful discussion. People are generally socially conscious and take an active role in changing things for the better. The opportunities for activism, community involvement, and extracurriculars are endless.

I studied Biological and Environmental Engineering in both the College of Engineering and the College of Agriculture and Life Science. While it is true that Cornell's engineering programs are incredibly rigorous, again, the campus is so large and diverse that it is easy to have a life outside of coursework. I had ample time for elective courses in the Arts college. You can find electives about nearly any topic at Cornell.

Ithaca is a lovely city with lots of personality. It might be smaller than what many people are used to, but I continued to find new things every weekend at Ithaca, and I don't think I ever discovered everything there is to do there. You just have to look. I can't say enough for the aesthetics of the campus. It is breathtaking.There are all types of people at Cornell--from ultra-studious to flippant, conservative to progressive, closed-minded to open-minded, outgoing to reserved. Everyone can find like-minded people if they look.

4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B-
Cornell is clearly one of the best schoolsQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Cornell is clearly one of the best schools in the country. Although the students seem laid back on the outside, they spend tons of hours in the library and do it with smiles on their faces. I feel good going for an interview and saying I come from Cornell University. I will recommend this place to anyone who wants a good, and high quality education. Cornell will make you put in your best to succeed and nothing but your best. Although Cornell needs more minorities and the diversity is a little too much on just white and asian, its still a good education as a whole.
1st Year Male -- Class 2009