StudentsReview :: Cornell University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Cornell University

Good: Strong in many subjects.Quite BrightEconomics
Good: Strong in many subjects. This is good for students who do not have a specific major in mind before going to college. Also, the school attracts many type of people, which makes your friends more interesting. Gorgeous campus (except in the winter. which feels like an eternity.) Students are very social. Ithaca isn't really "cool" but has all sorts of neat little things. Especially the local vineyards.

Bad: It's cold and hilly (but I was in much better shape because I had to walk so much.) Students freak out before every test. Frats get old quickly. So do the 5 bars in collegetown. Very expensive and they keep asking me for money even though I'm still taking out tons of loans for med school.Overall though, I loved it there. I got to take all sorts of different classes. I hate to use the word "well-rounded" but I got to analyze Italian cinema and be well prepared for the intensity of med school and take a wine-tasting course all in the same semester. And I loved that all my friends were in entirely different majors - partly because we didn't just end up talking about course work all the time, and partly because they were such an interesting mix of people.

4th Year Female -- Class 2004
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: D-
What a school.Quite BrightPolitical Science
What a school. i came to cornell as a premed, and endured a semester of grueling classes and competition in a subject i turned out to be apathetic towards. i hated the school, dwelled over the weather, and missed home. Second semester came, and I took classes in the social sciences which I found truly interesting. I think a lot of people don't like Cornell because of the programs they are in- so many people are pre-med because they feel pressure from their parents or study engineering merely as a means to an end (top notch job).

In terms of the academics, the school is great. the classes are generally very large, but the smaller sections really beneficial and a provide an unbelievable academic environment. The professors are really accessible if you make an effort to approach them. Cornell's array of courses is unbelievable, ranging from deeply theoretical to pragmatic to useless, but downright fun. ive taken classes about prisons, indian cinema, black humor, marketing, finance, and wines. Few schools can provide such a balance.

Cornell has also been able to draw some big names for concerts, lectures, etc. In the last 2 years, we've hosted the Strokes, Motion City Soundtrack, Lupe Fiasco, Twista, T.I., TV on the Radio, Salman Rushdie, Stephen Colbert, Trey Anastasio, Sandra Day-O'Connor, Kevin Smith, Robert Novak, the Dalai Lama, Angela Davis, and many many more. Cornell offers a lot of stimulating seminars which I feel a lot of students don't take advantage of.

Socially, Cornell has a lot to offer. Frats tend to get boring, but more intimate collegetown parties tend to become the norm. I would advise joining a frat for the social network and entertainment value. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I enjoy the opportunities the school has to offer.

Lastly, the campus is downright beautiful. The winters aren't ideal, but the other seasons make up for it. I get filled with a unbelievable feeling every time I cross the suspension bridge in the fall or watch the sunset on Libe Slope. It took me a while to accept this school, but now I can't imagine going anywhere else.

1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
I love Cornell so much, the thought ofQuite BrightNatural Resources
I love Cornell so much, the thought of leaving it soon makes me want to cry. I transferred from a small liberal arts school also in upstate NY that I hated. I was afraid that Cornell would be full of the same snobby, cliquish, close-minded people that were at my old school and that the town would be too small. I am also somewhat shy so I was afraid that it would be really hard to make friends when I transferred in since the school is so big. The first couple months were hard at first but now I absolutely LOVE it- I got involved in clubs and pushed myself to be more outgoing and ended up making a lot of friends. Most of the people at Cornell are pretty friendly and open to new people, especially the people in my major and CALS. The student body is also incredibly diverse- you will meet people from every background with tons of different interests. Believe me, you will find people you connect with as long as you make the effort to meet them.

My professors have been fantastic, some of the leaders in their field, and all very supportive and nice. My classes were also very good although hard- be prepared to work when you get here but you will love it. I highly recommend being a Natural Resources major (my major) here, it is a great, well-known program and there is definitely a sense of comraderie between the people. I have made a lot of friends through my classes. The campus is very beautiful and because of climate change (probably) there has been almost no snow this fall, the weather is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. The food is fantastic, there are 40+ different dining halls, and the town is really not that small, it has every type of store/restaurant/business you would need except for maybe upscale clothing stores.. but that's why there is online shopping. Oh and a side note the cab drivers are very nice and will knock down the cost of your ride a lot of the time. For anyone considering Cornell, come here!! You will find a place that fits, I promise.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2011