StudentsReview :: Cornell University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Because Cornell is an Ivy, it has aBrightOther
Because Cornell is an Ivy, it has a "name", that only may be enough for some people, but if there is one thing I would stress, it is to look past the name. Really research your schools, all aspects of it. If not, prepare yourself for potentially four years of misery and virtually no support. And beware the whole "diversity" thing too, if you are a minority other than Asian, you are pretty much out of luck. And there are always some controversy about the program house that do try to promote diversity. Not a majority, get ready to fight hard, really hard...

I don't know if this is true for other Ivy League schools, but Cornell have a large number of arrogant and annoying students.

If you enjoy
1) drinking as your ONLY social activity and being a nuisance to other people who have to take care of your drunk-ass

2) working your butt off, barely getting decent grades on half of your courses and wondering after it all, what did I gain from this class?

3)fake-ass people and poor quality of choice in men.
4)Fighting with the Fin-aid office all the time and wasting time with an unhelpful administrative departments

Cornell is perfect for you.
If not, you are going to have to try a lot harder to find your "niche" at this school. It is possible, but requires some work and a little luck. In terms of departments, some of them have great faculty (like CS), some of them don't. My major is small, but there are some of the greatest students (both in intellect in personality) in it. I am thankful to have found it after 2 miserable years in premed/biology. If you are a likable, friendly pre-med, don't come here, you will be eaten alive.

My saving grace at this university are the clubs. I don't know what would have become of me if I wasn't in any extracurricular activities. Some of nicest, friendliest, overall awesome people I have every met at Cornell were found in the clubs I am in.

Even so, if I had the chance, I would have transferred or never came to Cornell. So as a recap, I would suggest that all prospective students to really research their schools. Social life is just as important as academic life. If you are miserable, good luck trying to get through those 4 four years and justify all that money going to this institution. Also, if you aren't into the Greek system or lame party scene (there are some rare good one, I place emphasis on RARE), you are going to have to work a harder to find your place at this school. Also, don't expect a useful administration, Day Hall is as incompetent as one can get.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2010
Extracurricular Activities: A+, Individual Value: F
Cornell can be a wonderful or awful placeQuite BrightCivil Engineering
Cornell can be a wonderful or awful place to be an undergraduate. You will recieve very little guidance and even less handholding. What you will recieve is a course catalog as thick as a phonebook and access to the resources of one of the worlds great universities. If you are ambitious, brave, and capable of self direction then there is not anywhere that a Cornell education can't take you. The opportunities are truly amazing if you put you search them out. However, If you expect someone to lay out a path for you, reach out to you with opportunities, or go out of their way to help you then you are out of luck. Cornell is about as far from the liberal arts college experience as you can get. Great research university, but mediocre "college".
4th Year Male -- Class 2002
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B-
I graduated from cornell in '84 and IQuite BrightComputer Science
I graduated from cornell in '84 and I originally came here from westchester community college as a transfer. I must say first off, it doesn't matter where you get your degree. Ivy league means nothing, it doesn't gaurantee you a job after graduation, it doesn't get you any father then the kid up went to a tier 3 school. What really matters in a school is how well it fits you, how you UTILIZE! your environment/setting and how you make the best of your academics.

The classes were graded on a bell curve when I went and about 40% of the kids failed the course and the other passed. They might not do this anymore but it was brutal when I went.

As for professors, I had a professor who worked on the manhattan project and he was my physics professor. The majority of the kids failed the class because the problems on the board were basically the same physic problems used on the manhattan project. Yes it is cool to think back my professor had this opportunity and shared this with his students but it doesn't mean I was able to grasp the concepts of physics like I was suppost to.

I ended up going on to get a PhD. in computer science and work at wyeth now but I might get laid off in the summer because of the economy and I am an IT.

It really doesn't matter where you get your degree, when you decide to go to cornell, you are guarranteed a few things, 100K in debt and a well-known name on a piece of paper. If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't of gone to cornell. It really doesn't matter where you go and I will press this on anyone, even my daughter when she looks at schools someday.

Education is an investment. Be wise and really think about what you get yourself into. Ask questions, talk to students, even get in contact with alumni and see where they are at. If you think cornell is your dream school I hope it is because the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

2nd Year Male -- Class 1984