StudentsReview :: Cornell University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Cornell University

The best!!!

Sep 08 2014Computer Science
The best!!!Starting my second year. Cornell is the perfect University in terms of academics, friends, campus, professors, social scene, etc. Came here over Columbia and Dartmouth (and UVA, I'm from Virginia) and it was definitely the right decision. A lot of work, but it is manageable. Beautiful dorms. Great food. Amazing job opportunities. I am already being contacted about very well paid summer internships.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Friendliness: A+, Surrounding City: A-

I was a double major - Math and

Jan 26 2014Mechanical Engineering
I was a double major - Math and Computer Science, and the two departments measured in terms of faculty and students, were very different. The Math department seems very relaxed and while some students may come across as... eccentric, most are friendly. My advisor was incredibly accessible. I could pop in to discuss any questions/issues I may have with him anytime. The Computer Science department was a bit more intense. My advisor had not gotten tenure and came across as very high-strung. What I did like about the school was the seemingly endless options. Where else can you take a class to learn how to milk a cow and a wine-tasting class? While the central campus is frequently bustling, you can always find a quiet spot to study and unwind. There was an extensive selection of housing and dining options. Also, the campus is absolutely gorgeous.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2001
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C

Cornell will definitely push you harder than you

Jun 19 2014Mechanical Engineering
Cornell will definitely push you harder than you ever have been, but that's what you come to college for. Your experience here depends on how you take the challenges you are faced with. You can either sit down and whine about it (like it seems like quite a few people on here have done) or take some initiative and push through it. Hardest part for me was the multitude of distractions that would be much more fun to do than sitting down and studying (which isn't necessarily bad, would rather have options than nothing else to do). My advice: find a solid group of friends you can study with (very hard to do well without some help, so find that help. It's not as hard to come by as other people make it out to be. Also friends can really come in handy when you need the answers to the practice test that the teacher never released but your friend somehow got a hold of it), do your work (don't skip an assignment because the homework is only worth 5% of your overall grade, doing the homework directly correlates to doing better on the test, you can't argue with that), and just try things (you're not going to be the best, but not to be too cliched you can't succeed if you don't try. Also you'll be 10x happier doing things besides just schoolwork). Most importantly, don't freak out, you'll do fine. It's just a school not the dungeon of torture some people make it out to be. In my opinion Cornell was probably the best thing for me in my entire life. Not only has it been a blast, but it shows you what the real world will be like. I can tell once I graduate life will be much easier because I'll be ready.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017