StudentsReview :: Colgate University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hamilton College -- Clinton, NY

Hindsight- wish I had

Mar 27 2014Economics
Hindsight- wish I had not wasted my 4 years of undergrad there!!! Middle of NOWHERE, snobby, overprivileged kids, too much drinking, HORRIBLE weather, too small, full of itself, everyone knows each others' business.
Preparedness: C Reputation: B+

I wanted to go to this university very

Mar 24 2013Political Science
I wanted to go to this university very badly, however, once I got here and saw how cliquey, unfriendly, racist and arrogant the kids were, it completely turned me off since I never expected that. I am middle class and white, and the people surround themselves with the other trust fund babies. My parents don't have the money these people do, and Colgate does not give financial aid (if they do, it did not float this way). I have a few minority friends who were bright and did not get in.Not saying the school is racist, but they are not as diverse as most. They do take AFrican Americans, but you can't find much of any other race. You are isolated with nothing to do except watch the stoners and alkies drink themselves into oblivion. If you have the money, Colgate will take you even with a below 2000 SAT and C's (yes C's!). Rich stoners with C's in high school get in, but smart kids don't on average if they need aid. Don't go here!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Surrounding City: F

I LOVE the campus, i LOVE the academics,

Nov 30 2010Sociology
I LOVE the campus, i LOVE the academics, i almost HATE the people.
I'm not a drinker, which is pretty odd here. I didn't read too many reviews of social life before I came here, so I am basically stuck in a world of getting drunk off your ass.

If you love to drink, great! You will spend wednesday through saturday night having the time of your life. You will go to fraternities, hook up with random people, and not remember the previous night. You will see more Keystone beers than you had ever imagined, and you will likely get some of them spilled on your outfitIf you don't like to drink, there is almost nothing to do. Luckily, I have a long distance boyfriend, so we watch the same movie every weekend over skype and netflix. Without that though, I would be bored out of my mind. Literally, if you don't like to drink, there is nothing to do. Even if you get involved in clubs, almost all clubs have their own private drinking parties.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014