StudentsReview :: The City University of New York Bernard M Baruch College - Comments and Student Experiences

City University of New York Brooklyn College -- Brooklyn, NY

The City University of New York Bernard M Baruch College

This is such an AMAZING school.Quite BrightFinance
This is such an AMAZING school. I love it more than I thought I would. I love the clubs I am involved in, the friends I made, the students/faculty at the school, the city life, etc. In the past year, I was able to learn so much, maintain a high GPA while getting involved with several activities and overcoming my shyness while developing my leadership skill. I grew up more at Baruch than I did during all my years in high school. After a year, I was able to land a job and an internship with students from other schools including NYU Stern. I am so glad I came here and I am excited to get up each morning to come here. I had never been more happier in my life.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D-
I graduated on June 2005 (currently the listAccounting
I graduated on June 2005 (currently the list only goes up to 2004 on the survey for some reason) with a BBA in Accounting.

Pros:
-The campus is located in a great location in Manhattan. If you have a long break, you can always hop on the train to visit 42nd street or 34th street within matter of minutes or check out the variety of restaurants around that area.

- Baruch is known for being the best CUNY school and its business school is ranked in the top 50 business programs in the USA by US News alongside its School of Public Affairs. Zicklin School of Business is also the largest business school in the country.

- The Weissman School of Arts and Science is also great and it offers really famous writers to teach for a semester through the Harman-Writer-in-Residence program.

- Baruch is the most diverse campus in the nation (US News) so expect to see students from all backgrounds sitting beside you in your classes. People who are averse to attending a homogenous environment would love Baruch's racial demographic.

- Students are very serious about their work, especially the ones who are in the accounting department. Perhaps their enthusiasm can serve as a source of motivation.

- There are loads of clubs and organizations that you can join. Students are generally involved in the honors societies, such as Phi Eta Sigma or Golden key. However, some other clubs are quite useless and most people attend their meetings during club hours for the food.

- Since Baruch is essentially a business school, its environment has a very professional, business-like aura around it. Students are usually heading off to work before or after their classes and there are plenty of opportunities for you to get recruited by big firms for internships and jobs. However, the career fair isn't that helpful and the lines are long. It's better if you start networking through societies such as The Accounting Society.

- The curriculum is structured in a way that you get a little of everything. As a business student, I had the opportunity to take some liberal arts courses to offset the heavy weight of business classes. Many people might complain that those liberal arts courses were useless; still, I would contest that Baruch offers a well-rounded curriculum that allows students to soak up knowledge from various fields instead of specializing just in one general area.

- The school newspaper, Ticker, has been pretty successful of following the current events in the campus. There has been some pretty intense student body government election campaigns as well and you always have the opportunity to get involved in organizations that really wants to make a difference in reshaping the campus life and policies of the school.

Cons
- Since most people are busy with work or they're in a rush to commute back home, there isn't much chance to party or have a spectcular social life in this college. If you are looking forward to party in college, this is not the school for you.

- Some faculty members can be extremely arrogant. The department really needs better professors who will not leave it up the student to learn the material by him or herself. However, I have also come across good professor but most of the time I learned the material by myself by reading the book. My word of advice is that you check our www.ratemyprofessor.com and the teachers’ evaluation on the Baruch site before registering for the right classes. Your choice of professor can make or break your transcript.

- The campus looks like a big business building (that can be a good thing for some of you who wants to get a feel of the professional world). There are no acres of greenery here...only cement. But hey, it's in Manhattan, which many of us like to call the heartbeat of New York.

Baruch was very affordable.Business - Management and Administration
Baruch was very affordable. I was able to get a P/T HR Internship and go to school at the same time. That internship helped me land a job after school.

Baruch has been instrumental in my career development. The Zicklin School of Business has a great reputation in the financial/business world, thanks to the hard-working immigrant students who have outdone themselves over the years. We have excellent liberal arts and management professors who are Ivy League alumni. The Baruch Performing Arts Center has excellent student productions every semester and discounted tickets for students.

Before I came to Baruch, I did not have the courage to ask for a high salary or see myself as a professional. But the exposure to the Goldman Sachs and Merill Lynch's of the world upped the prestige of the school in my eyes, as well as the value of the Baruch name on my resume. After hearing that finance graduates made $50k or more, I got the courage to raise my asking salary. Alumni who visited the campus as professionals making 6 figure salaries, became my role models. I was able to see myself in their shoes in the future; this confidence boost has served me very well over the years. Baruch gave me the confidence and courage I so badly needed to get ahead.I will always be grateful to Baruch for everything I am today and for what I will achieve in the future. I will be certain to look out for Baruch students for internships in the future.

The City University of New York Bernard M Baruch College