StudentsReview :: The City University of New York Queens College - Comments and Student Experiences

City University of New York Bernard M. Baruch College -- New York, NY

The City University of New York Queens College

Excellent value and highly underrated Geology and EnvironmenQuite BrightGeography and Geosciences
Excellent value and highly underrated Geology and Environmental Science department. The Science majors here are competitive and I've had professors from Cornell(EnvSci), Berkley(EnvSci), MIT(City Planning), Stanford (Physics), Yale (Geology), Princeton(Microbiology), and Oxford(Micoeconomics). Highly recommend Queens College. I have enjoyed every year here thoroughly and have made so many relationships with fellow students and very helpful professors.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B
Major is actually communicationBrightLinguistics
Major is actually communication and sci disorders. The departmental staff is very unfriendly.Due to the rapidly growing amount of students in this major each year, we are not valued.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: B-, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I am a US Army veteran, who workQuite BrightAccounting
I am a US Army veteran, who work at a prestigious investment bank in midtown. I have completed a 4-year Business Mgt degree with a 3.55 GPA from a different college. To my dismay, Queens College is the worst school I have never encountered in my years of attending any school. Their lack of professionalism, education and nonchalant demeanor leaves me (and many other students) feeling amiss.

1 - Administrative tasks are never easy. When calling the bursar's office, there is no operator or any customer service personnel to answer the phone, let alone any questions that students might have (which will save them a possible trip to school). Don't believe me? Call them during the day 718-997-4500. This is the same for the Registrar (718-997-4400)and several other offices in Queens college. In order to have your admin work taken cared of, you have to take a day off from work, and plan to spend the day at the college standing in lines and speaking to RUDE, unprofessional and uneducated employees.

2- Teachers are the worst. They make fun of, and insult the students. They do not teach but send the students home to read and learn the text on their own. Allot of the teachers are foreign and have heavy accents making it difficult to understand them. This is a challenge when expecting to get a good grade in class.

3- Departmental offices. The Departmental heads are the most neglectful and apathetic group of human beings I've ever encountered on the college gounds. In my opinion, as long as they receive a paycheck, they are not concerned with anyone or anything else. The staff who work in their offices are the utmost unprofessional and lacking in common knowledge. I called the Accounting office several times to get my schedule squared away, a few semesters ago. I have had the phone hung up on me and I was yelled at. When complaining to the department head,and telling him about that the unprofessionalism that resonates throughout QC is what gives it a bad name, he agreed with me and did nothing about it.

I will take a 4-credit Science class w/lab next semester. I'm being told that the lab has absolutely nothing in relation to the class. The Science dept. head does not care about the evening and weekend students cirriculum therefore does what's best only for the daytime students! APPALLING! so I will have to sit through a sicence class and a lab and learn about two different subjects!

I could write a book about all of the negative factors to consider before enrolling in this school, but I do not have the time or patience. I will simply warn you NOT to attend this college. I am aware the college ONCE had a reputable and strong-standing foundation. This is NOT the case now. Please take heed, you will suffer and struggle tremendously at this college.I encourage students to speak out about this college and give it the rating it deserves! Citizen's tax dollars are going to waste at this college.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013