StudentsReview :: The City University of New York Queens College - Comments and Student Experiences

City University of New York Bernard M. Baruch College -- New York, NY

The City University of New York Queens College

How you perceive Queens College has alot toQuite BrightChemistry
How you perceive Queens College has alot to do with what your expectations were coming into it. I will try to be as honest and as neutral as possible. Being part of CUNY, the public university of New York City, Queens college along with the other senior colleges(City, Baruch, Brooklyn) are often give a bad reputation but what people dont know is that CUNY was once very reputable up until 1970. This was when the city council decided to implement a policy of open admissions and ever since it has been a free fall downward. Many of the middle class who sent their children because it was incredibly cheap(a few dollars for application fees) yet highly regarded no longer had any reason to.

The standards have recently been raised in the late 90s and early 2000s with the end of open admissions and the creation of the CUNY honors program. This has attracted many more of the upper echelon students coming out of college. People in the honors program have first choice in registration, their tuition is all paid, a free Mac laptop, $3600 a semester for expenses (giving to you via a check), and free tickets to random CUNY events. (Great deal but they will give you hell if you intend to transfer, actually requiring an interview and essay.)

As stated before your views on Queens college depend largely on your expectations. Graduating from Stuyvesant HS I decided to attend Queens College because I did not want to take out the 100 thousand for 4 years to attend the UPenn or the University of Miami and I have regretted it ever since. I will be transferring in the fall to complete my pharmacy prerequisites. Here are the negative things that I saw:

-being a large commuter school there is a lack of community and sense of school pride
-a small endowment(500 thousand reported in US News Weekly) leads to lack of school funding for clubs and teams

-outdated facilities in the Natural sciences (due to the weak nature and number of people majoring in them)

-lack of resources lead to classes being offered ever other semester
-cliques do form due to the large population of Russians and Jews
-lack of a variety internships and job opportunities
That being said there are many benefits like,
-very diverse, if at times cliquish nature, population
-cheap and affordable education for a decent education
-strong sociology, education, and political science department
-Its on the upswing with a recent 10 million donation to refurbish Colwin Hall and Colden Center, added to the list of already rebuilt Powdermaker Hall, refurbished Fitzgerald gym and Libary. There has also been a 30 million grant by the city and state government to extend Remsen Hall(the chemistry department) to add a new wing with over 20 new state of the art laboratories for research.

-Very connective with good computer availability
-strong electronic database
-nice art gallery
-strong relations with city, with over half of Queens college graduates working for the city or state governmentIf you are expecting an Ivy League caliber education than you will be sadly disappointed, but if you are working full time and unable to pay tuition at a more reputable university than it will be a better fit. All and all Queens college is basically a DECENT COMMUTER school at an affordable price. Dont expect much and you wont be disappointed but if you are having a hard time choosing between the school of your choice or one that fits your financial obligations always go with the school that you think is better because college is an investment.

1st Year Male -- Class 2010
Surrounding City: A+, Extracurricular Activities: D
I am a US Army veteran, who workQuite BrightAccounting
I am a US Army veteran, who work at a prestigious investment bank in midtown. I have completed a 4-year Business Mgt degree with a 3.55 GPA from a different college. To my dismay, Queens College is the worst school I have never encountered in my years of attending any school. Their lack of professionalism, education and nonchalant demeanor leaves me (and many other students) feeling amiss.

1 - Administrative tasks are never easy. When calling the bursar's office, there is no operator or any customer service personnel to answer the phone, let alone any questions that students might have (which will save them a possible trip to school). Don't believe me? Call them during the day 718-997-4500. This is the same for the Registrar (718-997-4400)and several other offices in Queens college. In order to have your admin work taken cared of, you have to take a day off from work, and plan to spend the day at the college standing in lines and speaking to RUDE, unprofessional and uneducated employees.

2- Teachers are the worst. They make fun of, and insult the students. They do not teach but send the students home to read and learn the text on their own. Allot of the teachers are foreign and have heavy accents making it difficult to understand them. This is a challenge when expecting to get a good grade in class.

3- Departmental offices. The Departmental heads are the most neglectful and apathetic group of human beings I've ever encountered on the college gounds. In my opinion, as long as they receive a paycheck, they are not concerned with anyone or anything else. The staff who work in their offices are the utmost unprofessional and lacking in common knowledge. I called the Accounting office several times to get my schedule squared away, a few semesters ago. I have had the phone hung up on me and I was yelled at. When complaining to the department head,and telling him about that the unprofessionalism that resonates throughout QC is what gives it a bad name, he agreed with me and did nothing about it.

I will take a 4-credit Science class w/lab next semester. I'm being told that the lab has absolutely nothing in relation to the class. The Science dept. head does not care about the evening and weekend students cirriculum therefore does what's best only for the daytime students! APPALLING! so I will have to sit through a sicence class and a lab and learn about two different subjects!

I could write a book about all of the negative factors to consider before enrolling in this school, but I do not have the time or patience. I will simply warn you NOT to attend this college. I am aware the college ONCE had a reputable and strong-standing foundation. This is NOT the case now. Please take heed, you will suffer and struggle tremendously at this college.I encourage students to speak out about this college and give it the rating it deserves! Citizen's tax dollars are going to waste at this college.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Queens College is so overrated.BrightAccounting
Queens College is so overrated. I can't picture being here for another 7 semesters. Oh God help me, I studied so much for the math final and they give us a room with small desks to take the exam in. I couldn't even put my calculator on the desk. It was ridiculous. They make the exams nearly impossible to finish. Queens College do me a favor and stop trying to be an Ivy league college because your not and never will be.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015