StudentsReview :: The City University of New York Queensborough Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint John's University -- Collegeville, MN
Columbia Union College -- Takoma Park, MD

The City University of New York Queensborough Community College

This college was ok to me , if

Sep 19 2012Unknown
This college was ok to me , if you do your work and try to succeed then you will be able to transfer to another college. Please do not think this place is a walk in he park. I do believe the staffs sometimes treat you like you are in a high school. The location of this college is very good, located in a very safe and quiet neighborhood. I feel very safe at night when I'm going home at 9pm. The downside of this college is that it is very hard to make friends. Everyone goes home after classes. There is no enough space in the library and very crowded. Overall this college is ok.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F

I came to this community college after already

Aug 27 2012Nursing
I came to this community college after already receiving my BA in another University, and with low expectations. When I got to the Nursing Dept., I realized what high standards that were expected of the students and was surprised at the stellar education that I received. This program should be a bachelors program, it was much harder and more demanding that my original bachelors ever was, yet They only give you an associate's degree in the end, when it was worth far more. I received a more that excellent education and am grateful for the experience. My friends that went to Columbia U. were not as prepared as I was for real life nursing. They agreed with this statement!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2004
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C-

The nursing program is good

Jun 12 2014Nursing
The nursing program is good. Professor's are knowledgeable about the course material and most teach it well. Foreign second language students have some troubles at times, but at the same time the nursing department seems to want to parade the successful ones around to show how the program is so culturally diverse because QCC loves to talk about the diverse student population. Many second language students with strong accents have great difficulty completing the program.

Academic success in the college is recognized, however, academic success in the nursing department is not. The only reasoning I can think of is that they want students to pass, but struggle to pass, and not do too well because then the program may not look so challenging. If it isn't that, then it must be that they don't appreciate the success of students who are American born, whom they can't tote around showing off how they have nurtured this foreign student and led them to academic success. You can work like crazy to get great grades, but your work will not even be recognized in the slightest unless they (the forces of the nursing program), find a political reason for it. Maybe the awards some receive to show how the nursing program does not discriminate, because look "we gave so many foreign students awards!"The education was good, but any education is what you make it.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014