StudentsReview :: The City University of New York York College - Comments and Student Experiences

The City University of New York York College

Most of Professors at York are very helpful.BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
Most of Professors at York are very helpful. The Staff however are another story. A lot of them seem to forget that if is was not for the students they were not have a job. You are given the run around, and the information you a student is given varies for office to office. There are many challenges to graduating that has nothing to do with your grades, and everything to do with the wrong information you are given. If you do graduate from York, your diploma looks like they just typed it on the computer in the office as a second thought.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A, Innovation: F
First of all, I am a lower-senior scheduledAveragePsychology
First of all, I am a lower-senior scheduled to graduate in 2013. I must say it has been an experience attending York College. I have no complaints about the curriculum. Good professors; bad professors. I believe this in most colleges. My biggest problem with York College is that the students and staff behave like they are still in high school--laughing loudly, playing and running in the college like children, sleeping and fooling around in class, not participating in class and then mocking those students who do and being nasty in the class as well as to the faculty. I believe if York College changes that "high school environment behavior" this college will shine. I mean the classes are not huge--unless you are taking classes in the auditoriums--but no student should be complaining about this school unless it is to address those issues. As an older student, I don't care about those clubs and activities. I wouldn't want to be in them anyway, because I don't like the way these same students behave in class. Overall, if you want to come to York College, come. A lot of the students are not doing what they are supposed to anyway, so if you come in and make good grades, you can only focus on the scholarships that are available and that is the best thing.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: B+, Friendliness: F
What can i say.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
What can i say.. this college is something unique and special. The majority of students here are black with some hispanics, some asians and a handful of white. Many are working mothers or fathers going back to college to get their degree. You can tell students aren't as smart especially in science or math related subjects. But they are by far the most mature students I've ever seen. In this college students respect each other. I have not seen an arrogant or close-minded student in this school. Most professors here are GREAT and they respect the students except a few old white professors(you know why). This college is not as challenging, not competitive but the hardest thing if you are smart is to find yourself. I see most white students got into this college and extremely disappointed. They think they are superior and smarter than other students here and they don't respect others. I got accepted by top colleges in the country but I chose York College. I was the only person who passed difficult AP science exams and when I submitted my score they said I was the only person who ever did it and they do not have a AP policy in place so they did not give credits for my AP exams. At first I hated this school because this is no place for smart students. It took me 3 years to find myself in this college and it was after I realized that there are a lot of great guys in this school. You won't find that in any other place. Believe me you'll become a much better well-rounded person when you walk out of this school.

A few advice:
1) Look for classes taught by Adjunct Professors. Unlike full time faculty they are much more passionate and reasonable. There are great adjunct professors like supreme court judge, famous book writers, etc in this school.2) Enjoy your "Cultural Diversity" class. It's required to graduate. You may hate it or think it's a stupid class at first but I bet you'll eventually fall in love with it. Almost every student in the class is minority from different countries. Even the professor is. They tell great stories and you'll learn a lot from this unique class.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2011