StudentsReview :: Columbia University in the City of New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Columbia University in the City of New York

In general the professors here are great and

Sep 18 2014Philosophy
In general the professors here are great and I have found a few of my philosophy professors to be extremely brilliant, but the administration really can't be worse that it offsets all the benefits brought by the faculty. I never expected to be treated in this way and I am trying my best to work on my transfer app.

If you want to be treated as a person, don't come to Columbia. There is basically no flexibility here and no one really f*cking cares about you. I went to talk to a Dean and he even told me "well then you may choose to leave." WTF seriously how can a dean say this to an enrolled student? You will also frequently hear from your academic advisor(not a professor, just a random administrative person who can't find a better paying job) or some other staff that "this is the rule" or something like that. Well, you know what? "Rules" here are always unreasonable and never flexible.I can't hate this place more.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Education Quality: F

They will not prosecute

Sep 06 2014Aerospace Engineering
They will not prosecute rapists!https://www.facebook.com/TheAntiMedia/photos/a.156753707783006.14385.156720204453023/361436603981381/?type=1
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

Beware of student athletes at Columbia university

Nov 12 2014Other
Beware of student athletes at Columbia university... the illusion of an Ivy League setting being a place of morality and character is questionable. I found a good number of them to be arrogant, self absorbed, rude and obnoxious. I was sexually assaulted by one of the athletes at Columbia University and verbally and physically harassed by a few more. I believe the stories other women have been reporting of rape on this campus. An ex friend of mine, also a student athlete, accused me of being a slut (after I confided in her about the incident) because her friend had a 'thing' for the guy who assaulted me. Columbia is a bubble where they groom students into believing they are special, better than the rest and therefore not responsible for their actions. The perceived 'prestige' that comes with the Columbia name only further disillusions students who believe the hype. Life is more than college, and a name of a university does not prove your worth. Columbia will forever remain a haunting place in my memory.
Columbia University in the City of New York