StudentsReview :: Columbia University in the City of New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Columbia University in the City of New York

Although I do not enjoy going to this

Aug 19 2013Chemical Engineering
Although I do not enjoy going to this school, I have to say that some people are exaggerating about how unsafe the campus is. To say that being next to Harlem is such a problem is absolutely ridiculous because we are technically in Harlem. So people's hatred of being in this area stems from racism and fear of the unknown because this area is safe and I have lived here for the majority of my life as a white female and nothing has ever happened to me. If you want to go to a school with a bunch of snotty, bratty, rich white kids who are just as racist as southern rednecks, then this is the perfect school for you.
Surrounding City: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F

The administration and the professors don't care

Dec 08 2011Industrial Operations Engineering
The administration and the professors don't care. Compared to schools that I got into, Columbia ranks quite low on social life as well as development. There's a reason why Columbia does not have many Rhodes, Marshall, or Goldwater scholars: because the administration doesn't care about its students.

1) Extremely poor social experience
2) Poor teaching, learn everything by yourself
3) Competitive and stressful
4) Aloof administration treats you terribly5) Outlets are few, NYC is expensive and 116th street is far from civilization

4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Scholastic Success: A, Individual Value: D

I'm a Industrial Engineering student and I can

Jan 30 2012Industrial Operations Engineering
I'm a Industrial Engineering student and I can say that I'm not satisfied about my major at this school at all. The name of the university and its location were the reasons that made me choose Columbia. 3 weeks after the beginning of my freshman year I realized that I have done a terrible mistake.

As my counselor told me; engineering should not be studied in an Ivy League school just because it is a label. I wish I have preferred another school I was admitted to such as Stanford, Cornell or even USC. Engineering in Columbia is totally trash and useless. It is a perfect school to study liberal arts however I cannot say the same thing for engineering majors.

The staff is extremely snobby and arrogant, teachers don't care about students concerns and lectures are given in auditoriums which are so crowded.

Because its located at the edge of the Harlem, Columbia is UNSAFE. There are so many crime cases taking place right outside of the CU's perimeters. People have been raped and got killed. I don't think that its worth for it. Paying 43,000 per year and getting raped or killed.

At the end of my sophomore year I got transferred to University of Southern California and now I'm living my dream. Los Angeles is a unique diverse place with a lot of culture and warm people who really friendly. I should have preferred going to the place that I like from the beginning rather then the place that only has label. For prospective students: I strongly recommend you to go to the school that you like rather than an Ivy League school. Stop thinking about the status for a while and think about your own happiness.Another

2nd Year Male -- Class 2014