StudentsReview :: Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell College -- Mount Vernon, IA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

Feb 24 2014Art & Design Department

Hard to get in. Hard to stay in.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B
Feb 10 2013Electrical Engineering

Loved everything about my experience here

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B

All three schools at Cooper Union are very

Sep 21 2012Art & Design Department
All three schools at Cooper Union are very special programs. It is broken down into the school of: Art, Engineering and Architecture. Probably the last remaining institute that practices a significant connection between the arts and the sciences. The different students divided in each of these school may show the distinction between the three types of minds, but our similarities are the most amazing parts. You won't really find a dumb artist, a boring engineer or an arrogant architect. Everyone here acts as intellectual professions trying to gain the skills towards their majors and hopefully dabble in classes offered at the other schools to broaden their skill set. Cooper Union is a small school consisting of two major building set in the heart of the lower east side Manhattan. Since it is so small it forces you to use the city as a academic device. We constantly have professional speakers with backgrounds from the three schools to come in and speak at our auditoriums, we gain the amazing culture of one of the hottest areas of NYC (fortunately far away from tourist areas), you are 15 minutes away from some of the largest museums in the world and we get access to use NYU's library one of the largest academic libraries in the country. This system forces you to use the real world from the beginning of your first year here. If you need something for your research, trust me it's in the city somewhere, so go get it.

I have obviously been satisfied with my experience at Cooper because I am baffled at how it has changed me as a student, especially since I applied as a transfer. I have experience the system of other institutions and have something to compare. And fuck, I already felt set for the real world after my first year... I will always be thankful for being rewarded with such an education. Hopefully a review like this will reach to a student who may have doubt on applying to such a rigorous school like this because the school could be missing out on your intellect if you don't try.

another side note...Peter Cooper (the founder of our school) was an amazing person and exceptional inventor who really understood the big picture of what the world needed. His ideologies where wise and his early investments even wiser. This is why every student accepted at Cooper Union receives a full scholarship for their inspiring abilities and in respect I believe we all ingrate the way of Peter Cooper in every student as they leave his institute. *hopefully The Board of Trustee's (the only negative part of cooper) don't end up ruining the full-tuition promise from The Cooper Union. That act would bring the last remaining full-scholarship institution in America to extinction :(

2nd Year Male -- Class 2014