StudentsReview :: Elmira College - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
Marist College -- Poughkeepsie, NY
Ithaca College -- Ithaca, NY

Elmira College

Elmira College is great for certain students

Jun 13 2014Psychology
Elmira College is great for certain students. The campus is well-maintained, students are generally friendly, and the faculty is always available to meet one-on-one. There are almost always small class sizes, and you will form a close relationship with many of the professors. There are many opportunities to get involved with clubs and organizations, and student government is usually very accessible. On the other hand, Elmira often feels like an extension of high school. Students are treated as adult children rather than young adults - this is apparent with planned activities, sometimes excessive rules, and administrators who are not willing to hold assist or give explanations. I have had a handful of administrators give me the roundabout "this is how things are," creating problems with financial aid and course registration. The issue then disappears with a call from my parents, who are much less familiar with my needs academically and financially. It can be frustrating. I also believe that the value of my education is somewhat lower than it would have been at other schools in the area. The material tends not to be very challenging, and students go into their courses expecting an A. Elmira College is great if you're looking for a close community, personal connections, and active involvement during these four years. If you're looking for strong academic development and a transition into adulthood, there are better schools at a much lower price.
4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A, University Resource Use: C

This place loves to make tons of claims

Jun 06 2014Nursing
This place loves to make tons of claims and promises, but the bottom line is it's a tiny little college in the middle of a small city that is well past its prime (to put it nicely). It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the same caliber of education at a place like Elmira compared to even a run of the mill state college (and at Elmira you pay FIFTY THOUSAND Dollars for the privilege). Admissions, the faculty, and the almighty President Champagne (yep that's really his name) are great at selling the college as better then it really is. Unfortunately, the illusion is impossible to maintain once you're stuck here. I'm headed to a SUNY (New York State college) next year, and because half the credits Elmira offers don't even come close to transferring at a real college ("I'm sorry but I'm not sure that this six credit class on building a stage set fulfills any of our academic requirements") I'm going to end up going an entire extra semester - but at least I won't be embarrassed to tell people where I went to college.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: D-

I think it is sad that to graduate

Aug 11 2014Other
I think it is sad that to graduate with my intended major, I NEED 170 credits. First of all, if you are affiliated with a clinical site, you do what the clinical site tells you in order to keep your affiliation. Being more than three years into the program and making a student unaware that the affiliation was jeopardized because of admin laziness is beyond terrible. It is wrong. Looking at all the science classes I've taken 6 of them are literally useless for what I want to do. 6*4 = 24 credits...for a fluff major that is a whole year's worth of credits. BUT you had to take them to graduate from the purple cult that this place is. That is total insanity let alone money. Don't forget a typical piece of paper from this place is about 100k (it is always more). Also your piece of paper does't even say your major on it...for six figs it can at least say that! Looking at the prestige of graduating, I still say it is overrated. Just do your job, get your piece of paper and mortgage payment and move on. I mean I could just have been a crim justice major and took gym classes and floated on by like nothing ever happened. AND I could have had a hot body because I had nothing better to do than work on myself. Opps. Stay clear of the bio, chem, and math department as they overwork you for nothing and then wonder why their students are insane and unhappy. Nice professors though, just slave drivers. Here is the kicker, I some how still got my internship I wanted. In the end and I am grateful for the opportunity...BUT I still have to take another science class to fulfill some class...thankfully it is a decent class...BUT that just adds to the money out the door...All in all, I do not and will not EVER recommend this educational institution. I hope for the new students incoming their experience is 10000000000000% different from mine.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018