StudentsReview :: Elmira College - Comments and Student Experiences

Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY
Marist College -- Poughkeepsie, NY
Ithaca College -- Ithaca, NY

Elmira College

This place loves to make tons of claims

Jun 06 2014Nursing
This place loves to make tons of claims and promises, but the bottom line is it's a tiny little college in the middle of a small city that is well past its prime (to put it nicely). It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the same caliber of education at a place like Elmira compared to even a run of the mill state college (and at Elmira you pay FIFTY THOUSAND Dollars for the privilege). Admissions, the faculty, and the almighty President Champagne (yep that's really his name) are great at selling the college as better then it really is. Unfortunately, the illusion is impossible to maintain once you're stuck here. I'm headed to a SUNY (New York State college) next year, and because half the credits Elmira offers don't even come close to transferring at a real college ("I'm sorry but I'm not sure that this six credit class on building a stage set fulfills any of our academic requirements") I'm going to end up going an entire extra semester - but at least I won't be embarrassed to tell people where I went to college.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: D-

I come from a fairly small town in

Jan 30 2014Education
I come from a fairly small town in rural Maine. I have never been around such cliquey stuck up people in my life. Few students on campus are friendly and the ones that are, are simply fake. There is nothing to do on the weekends. The college and admissions tries to rave about how there is always something to do but there is not. It is too dangerous to venture off campus because it is in the middle of the ghetto. A month into my freshman year two people were murdered on the street behind my dorm building, and we were told this was a normal occurrence. As far as the elementary education program goes, it is decent, but everything for adolescent education is a complete waste of time. Everything is aimed towards elementary ed. Also the health center is full of IDIOTS. I almost ruptured an ear dumb due to their neglect. They can't even keep plants alive in there, you wouldn't see that on a tour though. Admissions is very good at making themselves look good, and the campus is beautiful but everything else sucks.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, University Resource Use: F

Elmira College is great for certain students

Jun 13 2014Psychology
Elmira College is great for certain students. The campus is well-maintained, students are generally friendly, and the faculty is always available to meet one-on-one. There are almost always small class sizes, and you will form a close relationship with many of the professors. There are many opportunities to get involved with clubs and organizations, and student government is usually very accessible. On the other hand, Elmira often feels like an extension of high school. Students are treated as adult children rather than young adults - this is apparent with planned activities, sometimes excessive rules, and administrators who are not willing to hold assist or give explanations. I have had a handful of administrators give me the roundabout "this is how things are," creating problems with financial aid and course registration. The issue then disappears with a call from my parents, who are much less familiar with my needs academically and financially. It can be frustrating. I also believe that the value of my education is somewhat lower than it would have been at other schools in the area. The material tends not to be very challenging, and students go into their courses expecting an A. Elmira College is great if you're looking for a close community, personal connections, and active involvement during these four years. If you're looking for strong academic development and a transition into adulthood, there are better schools at a much lower price.
4th Year Male -- Class 2013