StudentsReview :: Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts

Eugene Lang is very different from most schools.Quite BrightPsychology
Eugene Lang is very different from most schools. It's definitely not the "typical" college experience. Some people love it, others do not. Personally, my experience here has been very positive. Although it's not perfect, transferring here was one of the best decisions I've made, and I could not see myself completing my undergrad anywhere else. Lang is a small school but is part of a large university. Therefore, you get the benefits of a small school (small classes with professors that know your name) in a large school setting (having the option of being anonymous if you want to be).

ACADEMICS: You're going to have a lot of homework. Every class will have a lot of reading, essay assignments, and research projects. The work is rigorous and can be challenging, but you'll learn a lot. I'm a psychology major: Some of my professors have been amazing, others have been terrible. Some assign good quality work, while others assign busy work. The workload can be overwhelming at times, leaving very little room for "free time," but overall, my academic experience has been rewarding. I've been pushed out of my comfort zone and learned not just about the content of psychology, but about what it's like to be in the field of psychology; I discovered from this that I do not want a career in the field of psychology, but I might not have known that had I not come to this school. Most professors are approachable and are willing to help you with your work outside of class if you need it.

One thing to watch out for: students can be very competitive with one another when it comes to grades, so your best bet is not to share your grades with anyone.

Another thing to watch out for: The attendance policy is very strict. Try not to be late to class, and try not to miss class unless it's absolutely necessary.

SOCIAL LIFE: I didn't have any friends at Lang during my first semester here. We don't have a closed-in campus, there's no greek life, and most students do not live in the dorms; they commute from home or have apartments in NYC. During my second semester here, I started to make friends in my classes, and those people are still my friends. It's harder to meet people here than at most schools, but once you do, those people will be your friends for the rest of your college career. I made friends in my classes, but you can also meet people by joining clubs at Lang or attending dorm events if you live in the dorm. You can also meet people outside of school by joining groups/events in NYC. I attend a local yoga studio regularly, and that was another place where I made friends. Lang is not really a "party" school, but the people that do like to go out usually go to a bar with just one or two people. One thing I love about Lang is that unlike my former college, it's not a "cliquey" environment; there's no pressure to fit in with a certain group or to be the most popular person in school. Students are generally more academically than socially oriented here. This is not the type of environment where people show up to school in sweat pants. For the most part, students are friendly and polite.

One thing to watch out for: It's an expensive school, so some students are snobby. However, I think this is something you find at every college.

Another thing to watch out for: Lang attracts a lot of students that are different. Personally, this aspect doesn't bother me, but for some people it's uncomfortable. There's also a lot more women than men, and therefore it can be hard to have a dating life at this school.

FACILITIES: I would not call Lang a campus. Lang is the undergraduate, liberal arts division of The New School, and we have about 1 or 2 buildings where most of our classes are held. Although we do have dorms, most of them are not close to the classroom buildings; I take the subway to get to class. However, the facilities are gorgeous. The buildings are well-kept and the furniture and technology are relatively new. There's 3 cafes on "campus" and a cart that sells coffee, but the food here is not that great. I usually just get take-out from nearby restaurants. However, nothing in NYC is cheap, so be prepared to budget your money carefully if you go here.

One thing to watch out for: There's security guards at the front desk of every single building, including the dorms, so be prepared to show your New School ID when you enter one of the buildings here. If you're bringing a guest from outside of school into any building, including the dorms, make sure they have a photo ID with them, or else security will not let them in. This policy did not exist at my former college, so it was annoying at first, but it's understandable considering that this is NYC. Although Lang was a hard adjustment at first, I'm used to it now and could not imagine myself anywhere else. Lang has been a great fit for me, but that doesn't mean it's a fit for everyone. The best way to know if this school is right for you is by visiting here and reading reviews on websites similar to this one. Most importantly, trusting your instincts will be the best way to find the right school for you, because your instincts will never let you down.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Innovation: A+, Social Life: D+
The New School definitely has a different wayQuite BrightOther
The New School definitely has a different way of doing things. It's not "experimental" or anything, just kinda quirky compared to other universities. Looking for a campus? Forget it, you're in Manhattan. But just remember when you're listening to your friends that got into Ivy League schools go on and on about all the great things their campus has, just think of all the shit YOUR campus (read: NYC) has. If you go here and are still looking for that college experience, visiting your friends at other universities outside the city is easy, with all the trains and busses you have access to, and 4 hours on a bus has gotten a lot shorter with free Wi-Fi; just zone out on teh interwebs for a bit and you're there. I transferred here and while I had my doubts at first, I'm really glad I'm going here. Go here. Its good. Oh and while freshman year in the dorms would be tolerable, everyone moves off 'campus' since it's WAY cheaper, even if you live in Manhattan.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C-
Actually I am having a great time here.Quite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
Actually I am having a great time here. There is a community, and not everyone is a hipster douche bag. In fact, most people here hate the hipster douches that make the school get bad curb appeal.

The professors are amazing, every single one is young, brilliant and a minimum of Ivy educated, though many also attended Cambridge and Oxford. There is no doubt that you will be studying from an amazing scholar here at the New School. The new dorm is beautiful, it is in perfect condition, not a single mouse to speak of, and I pay less for my single with a kitchen and bathroom I share with the connecting room then my friends pay at NYU and Barnard for a standard dorm room.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012