StudentsReview ™ :: Fordham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University

I did not enjoy attending Fordham so I

Mar 24 2014Psychology
I did not enjoy attending Fordham so I made sure I finished on time or early. Many of my peers or those in higher classes took an extra semester, or even a year more to graduate.

Fordham has a good name, which is why I went there. People expect more of me than I am able to perform because I simply never learned certain skills at all or in-depth enough to use. I have a diploma in the end, but if I were to go back and choose a different university, I would not have chosen Fordham. Do something to benefit yourself: don't come to Fordham. it is an unfortunate waste of $60,000 per year.

Preparedness: D+ Reputation: C-

don't even waste your time with Fordham

Mar 24 2014English
don't even waste your time with Fordham. I've been lucky to live and take classes at both campuses (LC and RH) and they are pretty different but here is the low-down on them both.

Staff usually appear friendly and helpful but good luck meeting with them outside of the email setting. In my experience the faculty and deans are self-absorbed in their supposed "success" and don't give actual help because as I have been told by more than one professor, "your undergrad career doesn't really matter so you don't need to understand the material, just try to pass." wow thanks what great advice.

There is no communication between departments. When I moved campuses, my ID didn't scan me into my building for nearly a month. I had to send multiple emails to the res life office and the deans to get them to change my official information so I could get into my own residence hall. When there was a death in my family, the assistant dean sent the standard email to the entire wrong group of professors two weeks after I had already returned to school. Clearly there are some major organizational issues among staff members...

Be prepared to do everything on your own. Administrators don't help you- they have better things to do. It is up to you to figure out how things are done. Make sure you activate your meal card or you won't be eating until the supervisor comes in once a week.

The kids are the same as they would be at most other universities, they are usually pretty wealthy. A lot of Chinese international students. If you are at Lincoln Center, however, be prepared for the "bitchface" attitude and know how to dress yourself, or you're in for a little bullying---something I thought we would all escape from in college but apparently not.

The rose hill campus is absolutely beautiful. but unfortunately it is only aesthetically appealing because the buildings are so old they are falling apart. there are a few newer buildings that are nice but they are upperclassman residence halls. The campus is gated in, likely because the neighboring area is very dangerous. We get security emails often telling us about how non-university affiliated people have been stealing iphones and sexually assaulting women. One dude got shot seven times in front of a bodega for no reason at all. That is what you risk by leaving campus. Naturally as a result everyone is really sheltered.

The Lincoln Center Campus is just one building. The student body is a third of that of the other campus, so they make it work. The class selection here is kind of limited, and most people I know usually needed more than 4 years to fulfill all requirements. It is going to take me 5 years and my major is one of the easiest to complete since it coincides with many core classes. Most students are NYU-rejects who wanted to live in the city. This campus is in a great location though. Right next to the central park and walking distance from so many places to eat, shop, watch movies, etc. Most of the students at LC are commuters so if you live in the dorm there it is a little lonely.

As a whole, the university could use some help. I would not recommend this school to anyone. I have had so much trouble working with the school to get anything done, so much that I got severely depressed because of it. I almost dropped out completely because I was so frustrated with the terrible treatment I got from the staff.

When every single one of my friends transferred to other schools after freshman and sophomore year, I should've noticed and taken it as a sign not to stay. I regret coming to fordham all together, honestly. The school has a good name but so many people are really unhappy here and it is contagious. If you don't get into NYU, you are likely to end up here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, University Resource Use: F

Fordham is an amazing school

Feb 13 2014Biology
Fordham is an amazing school. They pffer so much to their students. The opportunities and facilities you have your disposal just by being a student here is amazing. You will be drowning in loans by graduation, but going here will ensure a job that can pay them off. The professors here are super friendly and helpful. The students are ALL extremely helpful, even the snobby ones. It is super easy making friends.

Make sure you are ready to work for your grades. There are no easy, fly-by, courses here. They will challenge you to do and be your best, and push you to find things out about yourself you didn't yet know.

It has been a really great experience studying at Fordham University. The commute is very rough for me, and housing is too expensive, so I deal with 4 hours of my day being my commute to and from school everyday. The commuter environment is very awesome. It's hard to make commuter friends at first, but once you know one, you know them all. However, the majority of students here need a wide awakening of the real world. Our campus is diverse, but not diverse enough. I am half Latino and half White, and the entire first semester so many student just concluded that I was black because I wasn't completely white. The amount of white students on campus doesn't help with this whole idea. Many are stuck up and see minorities as lower than them, or automatically believe we are all commuters who can't afford to live on campus, and work two jobs to stay afloat. Not all are like this, but you do get that feel. It's always fun proving them wrong or getting better grades than them lol

Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B+