StudentsReview :: Fordham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University

Apr 30 2014Undecided
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I have met three wonderful people at Fordham that have sincerely changed my life and I know they will continue to be a part of my life. Manhattan is also super accessible and Arthur Ave. (in the Bronx) can be really fun as well. I have also had some really wonderful teachers and the campus is beautiful. But despite those things, I have never despised an environment so much in my life. I have never met so many ignorant people. I hate to generalize, but I have met far too many racist and sexist individuals. I have far too many naive, stupid people at this school. I feel trapped here, there are far too many restrictions. The administration is also super punitive and do not give the students enough freedom. I HIGHLY recommend not coming here. I am leaving after the first year and I never expected to transfer schools.
Faculty Accessibility: A, Education Quality: F
Mar 24 2014Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I did not enjoy attending Fordham so I made sure I finished on time or early. Many of my peers or those in higher classes took an extra semester, or even a year more to graduate.

Fordham has a good name, which is why I went there. People expect more of me than I am able to perform because I simply never learned certain skills at all or in-depth enough to use. I have a diploma in the end, but if I were to go back and choose a different university, I would not have chosen Fordham. Do something to benefit yourself: don't come to Fordham. it is an unfortunate waste of $60,000 per year.

Preparedness: D+ Reputation: C-
Mar 24 2014English
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
don't even waste your time with Fordham. I've been lucky to live and take classes at both campuses (LC and RH) and they are pretty different but here is the low-down on them both.

Staff usually appear friendly and helpful but good luck meeting with them outside of the email setting. In my experience the faculty and deans are self-absorbed in their supposed "success" and don't give actual help because as I have been told by more than one professor, "your undergrad career doesn't really matter so you don't need to understand the material, just try to pass." wow thanks what great advice.

There is no communication between departments. When I moved campuses, my ID didn't scan me into my building for nearly a month. I had to send multiple emails to the res life office and the deans to get them to change my official information so I could get into my own residence hall. When there was a death in my family, the assistant dean sent the standard email to the entire wrong group of professors two weeks after I had already returned to school. Clearly there are some major organizational issues among staff members...

Be prepared to do everything on your own. Administrators don't help you- they have better things to do. It is up to you to figure out how things are done. Make sure you activate your meal card or you won't be eating until the supervisor comes in once a week.

The kids are the same as they would be at most other universities, they are usually pretty wealthy. A lot of Chinese international students. If you are at Lincoln Center, however, be prepared for the "bitchface" attitude and know how to dress yourself, or you're in for a little bullying---something I thought we would all escape from in college but apparently not.

The rose hill campus is absolutely beautiful. but unfortunately it is only aesthetically appealing because the buildings are so old they are falling apart. there are a few newer buildings that are nice but they are upperclassman residence halls. The campus is gated in, likely because the neighboring area is very dangerous. We get security emails often telling us about how non-university affiliated people have been stealing iphones and sexually assaulting women. One dude got shot seven times in front of a bodega for no reason at all. That is what you risk by leaving campus. Naturally as a result everyone is really sheltered.

The Lincoln Center Campus is just one building. The student body is a third of that of the other campus, so they make it work. The class selection here is kind of limited, and most people I know usually needed more than 4 years to fulfill all requirements. It is going to take me 5 years and my major is one of the easiest to complete since it coincides with many core classes. Most students are NYU-rejects who wanted to live in the city. This campus is in a great location though. Right next to the central park and walking distance from so many places to eat, shop, watch movies, etc. Most of the students at LC are commuters so if you live in the dorm there it is a little lonely.

As a whole, the university could use some help. I would not recommend this school to anyone. I have had so much trouble working with the school to get anything done, so much that I got severely depressed because of it. I almost dropped out completely because I was so frustrated with the terrible treatment I got from the staff.

When every single one of my friends transferred to other schools after freshman and sophomore year, I should've noticed and taken it as a sign not to stay. I regret coming to fordham all together, honestly. The school has a good name but so many people are really unhappy here and it is contagious. If you don't get into NYU, you are likely to end up here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015