StudentsReview ™ :: Fordham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University

Listen, I'm going to provide a review that

Nov 20 2012Biology
Listen, I'm going to provide a review that is not often seen for Fordham; and that is one of a student who came from a small public school that was generally bad. A student who grew up with no money. A student who cares about much more than superficial college shit. And a student who is so confused that it's not even funny.

First word of advice , CONSIDER EVERYTHING. Here's my top ten advice:

1) The cost. If you can't afford it without taking out a 30,000 dollar private student loan per-year, then look somewhere else. Seriously, the interest means you'll be paying about 83,000 a year (yes, that's me). Without meaning to be harsh, throw out your romanticized idea of the fact you'll get a good paying job and it'll be easy to pay back. 400,000 isn't easy no matter how you look at it, especially if you need to go to graduate school to get a job that even pays close to what you need (which can be much more expensive). And don't think it's worth it to spend the money to get into Fordham Law afterwards, out of the 1200 enrolled at the law school, less than 50 are actually Fordham kids. (Dean told me this)

2) This is a private, jesuit college. When they mean no opposite sex guests, they mean it, and you WILL get in trouble. This is a catholic school and while they emphasize diversity, the students are not so open, trust me. And if you're of a different religion, you'll feel it.

3) A lot of students are rich and have no problem blowing all of their money on alcohol or stupid things. Which they do quite frequently. Not only that, but when you talk to some of the rich-kid stereotypes, they have no fucking idea what to do with their life. I'd kill to have the kind of money to not be transferring right now.

4) The only "social life" is drinking on the weekends. Yes there's little italy and the city but good-luck finding people that actually want to take the trip that far. Drinking's the easiest thing to do, so it's done.

5) THE FOOD. Okay, it's not that bad. Better than some places now that they've fixed it. But it does get repetitive and sometimes you just don't eat because you can't stand it. I've barely been here a semester and i've taken to eating once a day. It's so blah.

6) If you aren't "preppy", or loud, or like to get really drunk and fuck anything that moves, then you might not be happy here. If you have just ONE OUNCE of individuality (no, if you're a hipster, you're not individual. You'll fit in fine. We have a cafe for you) then Fordham isn't the place for you. If you have a PC instead of a Mac, prepare to be death stared everywhere you go. You WILL be the odd one out and it's going to suck. All because of that rich private school mentality.

7) Teachers tend to think you have no other classes but their own so you have about 13 hours a week of studying to do... PER CLASS. If you think i'm kidding, then subtract half a letter grade per hour. I'm serious. You WILL do tons of work and you WILL NOT have free time without sacrifice. It gets hard to maintain if you aren't used to it.

8) Speaking of which... I'm paying WAY TOO MUCH for the quality of education. I'm not learning anything new, the professors make me fall asleep much too easily and those that don't, probably have a dead bug up their butt. Because they're jerks. And those ivy-league guys? Yep, they're the worst. Because we're not good enough for them. And some of them even bring it up.

9) Oh and Fordham cares too much about their alumns and newly accepted students. Almost every even on campus is for them. There is rarely anything to do on the weekends except drink. There are plays and debates or "talks" with people on various intellectual topics, but they can be a bit hard to follow and sometimes they're at difficult times, mostly during the week which sucks because many students are commuters or live close by so they go home on the weekends when you actually need something to do.

10) Overall, if you were a cheerleader in high school or enjoy being EXTREMELY LOUD ALL THE TIME or drunk. Then this is the school for you. If you're coming here for an enriching education and lots of opportunities, you might be able to get that here if you go out of the way. If you're coming here just for the name, trust me it's not even worth it. That's what I'm struggling with right now. It saddens me to leave the "name", but what's the name without the whole package? A ton of fun-sucking bullshit. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, i'm transferring next semester. Hopefully, it'll be a better experience.

Either way, good luck and PLEASE consider all options before you decide to come here. Don't jump on a school for it's name, think about everything. It'll be worth it in the end.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: F

Unfortunately, attending Fordham has only served to brand

Oct 25 2012English
Unfortunately, attending Fordham has only served to brand me as a very specific type of person. People find out that I graduated from Fordham and immediately think they have my whole life and persona figured out. They think I'm a spoilt unambitious rich kid who wasn't a solid enough student to get into NYU but was too proud to go to a state uni where I belonged. I feel I have to overcome a lot of excess baggage and stereotypes that come with the Fordham name just to get ahead in this world. The education itself I feel was probably lacking, looking back. That's why I'm so hung up on the fact that I can't at least settle on the institution's name carrying weight for me.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: D

I am one of the few students that

May 23 2012English
I am one of the few students that have had an overall bad experience at Fordham.
I'm an English major and I expected so much more from this school than what I've received thus far. On the outside Fordham is your typical private New England college, complete with ritzy buildings and lots of money. As a whole Fordham has a good reputation, but until you actually get here you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

I'll start with the students. It's really just a bunch of snotty rich kids whose parents give in to their every desire. I've met several students who have no idea what they want to study, and when I ask them why they came to Fordham, they simply shrug their shoulders and laugh. I get the impression that a lot of students are just here for a title. They like the idea of going to a private school like Fordham, so even if they have no idea what they want to do with their lives they still choose to come here. In addition to this very arrogant aura given off around campus, the students are very difficult to know. They all seem fairly occupied with things outside of Fordham...as if they have better things to do than hang out with you on campus. Since it's pretty close to the heart of New York City, not many students spend their time on the Fordham campus, which makes it difficult to make friends. At least, that's been my experience.

Another issue I've encountered is the mystery of where my money is going. After spending one full year at Fordham, I still haven't figured out why I'm paying the amount of tuition that I am. It's certainly not going towards the teaching staff...a handful of them don't even have PhDs. The professors don't act like they want to be there. Much like their students, the professors always act like they have other things to worry about than teaching their classes. I suppose the money is going towards the school's location and its' up-keep. That's something I DO love about the school. The maintenance crew does an excellent job keeping up with the scenery. Very pretty campus.Overall, my time spent here at Fordham hasn't been too exciting. I'm planning to transfer sometime next Spring. To re-cap everything, the students are stuck up, the faculty aren't dedicated, the costs are ridiculous, and it appears that the students of Fordham are too busy with other things to really care about going to school here. It doesn't feel like a college, it feels like either a daycare or a really expensive after school program.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015