StudentsReview :: Fordham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University

Unfortunately, attending Fordham has only served to brand

Oct 25 2012English
Unfortunately, attending Fordham has only served to brand me as a very specific type of person. People find out that I graduated from Fordham and immediately think they have my whole life and persona figured out. They think I'm a spoilt unambitious rich kid who wasn't a solid enough student to get into NYU but was too proud to go to a state uni where I belonged. I feel I have to overcome a lot of excess baggage and stereotypes that come with the Fordham name just to get ahead in this world. The education itself I feel was probably lacking, looking back. That's why I'm so hung up on the fact that I can't at least settle on the institution's name carrying weight for me.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: D

I am one of the few students that

May 23 2012English
I am one of the few students that have had an overall bad experience at Fordham.
I'm an English major and I expected so much more from this school than what I've received thus far. On the outside Fordham is your typical private New England college, complete with ritzy buildings and lots of money. As a whole Fordham has a good reputation, but until you actually get here you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

I'll start with the students. It's really just a bunch of snotty rich kids whose parents give in to their every desire. I've met several students who have no idea what they want to study, and when I ask them why they came to Fordham, they simply shrug their shoulders and laugh. I get the impression that a lot of students are just here for a title. They like the idea of going to a private school like Fordham, so even if they have no idea what they want to do with their lives they still choose to come here. In addition to this very arrogant aura given off around campus, the students are very difficult to know. They all seem fairly occupied with things outside of Fordham...as if they have better things to do than hang out with you on campus. Since it's pretty close to the heart of New York City, not many students spend their time on the Fordham campus, which makes it difficult to make friends. At least, that's been my experience.

Another issue I've encountered is the mystery of where my money is going. After spending one full year at Fordham, I still haven't figured out why I'm paying the amount of tuition that I am. It's certainly not going towards the teaching staff...a handful of them don't even have PhDs. The professors don't act like they want to be there. Much like their students, the professors always act like they have other things to worry about than teaching their classes. I suppose the money is going towards the school's location and its' up-keep. That's something I DO love about the school. The maintenance crew does an excellent job keeping up with the scenery. Very pretty campus.Overall, my time spent here at Fordham hasn't been too exciting. I'm planning to transfer sometime next Spring. To re-cap everything, the students are stuck up, the faculty aren't dedicated, the costs are ridiculous, and it appears that the students of Fordham are too busy with other things to really care about going to school here. It doesn't feel like a college, it feels like either a daycare or a really expensive after school program.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: B+, Innovation: D

What I like about Fordham is that you

May 23 2012Business - Management and Administration
What I like about Fordham is that you are given the reins and permitted to do with your college career as you see fit. This being said, it is up to you to challenge yourself with upper level courses and so on.. I have seen some comments that claim that their education was not challenging to the extent that they felt it should be etc. and to those comments I say that there is no limit to what you can put yourself through. I was able to attend any campus I wanted to of the three, and (..upon course evaluation from my dean..) was allowed to substitute higher level courses for those I did not feel would be challenging. I do consider myself a well rounded individual and with that being said, Fordham offered me much in the way of a challenge since I chose the courses that were challenging. I graduated from Fordham last weekend 05/19/2012, Magna Cum Laude with honors. I have taken summer courses, non-matriculated, at Yale which is about an hour north of the Westchester campus, and I did not feel that Yale offered me anything different in the way of quality. I was taught in the same ways, via the same text and by the same caliber of professor that I found throughout my career at Fordham. My career at Fordham was both challenging and exciting. New York City is close by and offers much in the way of a platform for launching your career, no matter what your major. Many of the professors are Doctors in their fields, hold Law Degrees, some are from Ivy League Universities, and Fordhams alumni base is far reaching to include some very notable individuals. The school has recently put several millions of dollars into a completely new Business building and dorm halls on the Bronx campus, and a new state of the art Business and Law facility in Midtown. The schools only issues regarding rankings (..and this is from Businessweek.com ratings from 2010..) was the lack of state of the art facilities and amenities; I can tell you first hand that I have watched this issue resolve itself over the last 2 years with the implementation of these new schools and projects, and there is much more still in the works. The school is aiming for Top10 status, so the president and board is pouring money into it. After receiving good scores on both the GRE and GMAT, I was accepted, no questions asked to a Top Tier Masters Program (Computer Science Major) in CT, which I start in the Fall. During the interview, the dean complimented the reputation of my Undergrad institution and was very pleased with my choice.

As to not seem out of touch with some of the realities of the institution, I will say that there are some down sides to Fordham, esp. the Bronx campus, which stem from its surroundings. I served in the US Army, deployed and lead a team in Iraq, this being said, I would never live in the Bronx. The entirety of the area is sub-poverty and high crime (..which for some reason seems to be a source of pride for the locals..). If you combine this with the usual attendee at Fordham, i.e. upper middle class individuals, you will find that there is a high likelihood for robberies and the likes. That being said, be smart, think about your actions and act accordingly, and you will be ok. Another point, If you feel college is more about partying than education, although NYC is less than 20mins south, you will be sad you hear that the "nightlife" just outside of the campus is not thrilling. That being said however, if this is a disqualifying factor for you regarding your undergrad institution choice, please do the nation a favor and just work at McDonalds. We have enough under educated moralistically challenged individuals in high places now a day, and do not need any more. Also, there is a big drive for minority acceptance, so I have seen some rather questionable individuals finding their way into some of the classes I have taken, but these individuals are usually weeded out by the curriculum. Unfortunately this is the case with many institutions throughout the US and must be taken in stride, the system does even itself out. I loved Fordham, I have nothing but great things to say about my time as a Ram (..and I will always be one!) and I would do it all over if I had to. The reputation is already well known throughout the Tri-State area, gaining momentum nationally; the school will be a Top10 for sure, within the next decade. In closing, good luck to you in your search, wherever you end up, but be assured, Fordham is a great choice!

4th Year Male -- Class 2012