StudentsReview ™ :: Fordham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University

I came here as a second semester freshman

Jan 18 2012English
I came here as a second semester freshman transfer from a local commuter college. I was expecting the school to be great! I denied a full ride to another college to come to Fordham, who gave me ZERO for financial aid-- $55,000/year is ridiculous for what the school actually is.

I am a Lincoln Center student. The city is great and very convenient as it has everything one may think of. Lincoln Center for the performing arts is across the street, columbus circle is a block away and has many major subway lines, hells kitchen neighbors Fordham and has great restaurants, shopping, etc, it is a few blocks from central park, and not far from times square.

McMahon hall is beautiful; all apartment style living arrangements with [mostly] good views of the city out of one's window, a kitchen and bathroom, and 2 to 3 bedrooms. Security in McMahon is absolutely ridiculous. I do feel very safe [they are all ex members of the NYPD] but the rules for guests are outrageous (no guests of the opposite sex, no guests past 3:30, guests must surrender ID, and other possessions upon entering the building) The RA staff are out to get every student. They are at each door every night with cups to their ears listening to the events occurring inside every room hoping they will be able to bust anything going on. My RA came into my room on my 2nd day here, and wrote me up for a marijuana smell that was not even coming from my room. I faced being kicked out of McMahon all together, and got serious disciplinary actions against me because of something I did not have anything to do with. Less than 50% of students live in McMahon Hall. If you are going to attend Fordham: commute. McMahon is honestly the biggest downfall in the University.

the Leon Lowenstein building is nice, although the classrooms have not been updated for a long time, and the elevators are extremely slow. The teachers are alright most of the time, but its the TAs and grad students that teach the classes. Academics are alright. To graduate, one must complete 124 credits rather than 120; (36 classes roughly) almost 30 of those classes are core classes. No electives cam be taken. An exit level language course is required to graduate, but every course leading up to the exit level is "an elective". a tricky way to use up actual elective spaces for required courses- leaving no room for classes people actually would like to take. It often takes students more than 4 full years to graduate.

The cafe is terrible. Very unreliable and is closed more often than not. even though it has set hours, the actual hours vary upon if the staff wants to work or not. It is not "swipe-and-dine" style; one must purchase individual items for a very expensive price. The food is often cold and does not taste very good.

The people at the Lincoln Center campus are mostly commuters. large percentage are women and gay men who are pretentious, obnoxiously like theater, and have a very exclusive group of friends. Its hard to find one's niche here. There is no party scene because it mostly happens off campus; nothing happens in the dorms, as the RA's will come and write everybody up.Overall, my experience at Fordham was unsatisfactory. I am transferring next semester to the school that gave me a full ride.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

Here are the pros and the cons of

Dec 13 2011Other
Here are the pros and the cons of Fordham University. I am providing for both campuses (I have taken many classes at each) I will provide the pros and cons for each area (they seem to go hand and hand).

NYC- Being in NYC gives you a lot of experiences that you will have no place else in the world. I have taken advantage of the many areas of the city as well as its museums and cultural institutions and it has enlightened me. But of course you can go to a CUNY and have that. Fordham also doesn't fully take advantage of its location especially Lincoln Center.

Academics- Fordham has an excellent history and theology program, as well as some other impressive liberal art programs. The sciences are give or take. Languages aren't that good. I feel though that too much emphasis is put on the new school of business. I will get to that later in this review. My biggest complaint about the core is that it is too rigid. More choice would be better.

Student Life- Its ok. I haven't really found a niche at Fordham, but many people have found a niche. Fordham offers a vast array of clubs and publications. Campus Ministy is very good and a lot of people participate in that. That is Rose Hill. HOWEVER, many of the students don't participate in anything at Fordham because they are too busy getting drunk. At Lincoln Center even fewer people participate which leads me to my next area.

Student Body- There are two unique bodies: Lincoln Center and Rose Hill. Lincoln Center is strange. Half the students are commuters who go home after class and the other half are the residents who I am convinced are vampires because they are never out during the day. Lincoln Center is essentially a night campus even though partying isn't that big of a thing there. Anyway, unless you are super liberal or gay, the LC students will look down on you. An extremely condescending group of people. Rose Hill has a much more diverse student body that is much more open to any background or ideas. A lot of drinking happens here and a lot of the students are arrogant, private school people, but they aren't too bad and actually make class fun. All in all, Rose Hill's student body isn't that bad especially in comparison to LC.

Food- You know what, it is not that bad at least at Rose Hill. It gets repetitive, but if you stick with Caf for breakfast and dinner, and the other delis for lunch, you can't go bad. A little pricey, but ok. LC has awful food. Do yourself a favor and go to the vast variety of food places outside of campus especially down 9th Ave.

Overall- I think the University is a good place to study. I believe that my degree from here will work for me in the future. I believe, though, that the University needs to get its priorities in line. All the University seems to care about is its alumni. Everything is done with them in mind. The University's sports programs are dominated by alumni who attend and so on. This leads to a question: why is the University not catering to the future alumni as well? My experience has been too cookie cutter and not enough individual. Students aren't allowed to make their mark here. Personally, I wouldn't ever participate as an alumnus. Maybe a few donations here and there, but if you are a student looking to make difference, well, Fordham isn't the place for you. Maybe this is what is like for all colleges, I really do not know.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F

The campus is amazing,

Nov 22 2011Political Science
The campus is amazing, the classes are hard, the faculty really challenge's you. The overall experience is enchanting and life changing.
4th Year Female -- Class 2011