StudentsReview :: Fordham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University

I graduated in 2011 and am now attending

Mar 11 2012Unknown
I graduated in 2011 and am now attending a top three program in my discipline. I think Fordham is a great school. The faculty is outstanding, class sizes are small, the students are generally bright (but not brilliant), and the core curriculum provides a fantastic grounding in the liberal arts. The Bronx campus is gorgeous (LC not so much but they're working on it), and although the surrounding neighborhood is a bit shady you have easy access to Manhattan and all it has to offer. The school genuinely cares about its students and really tries to provide a solid education rather than focusing on flashy bullshit. The alumni network is outstanding and Fordham has a strong reputation in the city - you're well positioned for getting a good job on graduation. Lots of internship opportunities as well. Amazing school all around.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Innovation: B

Overall, I had a great experience at Fordham

Feb 11 2012Accounting
Overall, I had a great experience at Fordham. While no school is perfect, I couldn't imagine having a better undergraduate experience anywhere else.

Pros:
-I met great friends who I expect to have for life.
-My dorms were all wonderful.
-Small classes.
- Accessible professors who for the most part (I had three duds)ranged from good to truly outstanding. Every one of my profs. knew me by name.

-I got into an amazing grad program after doing well at Fordham.
-Campus is beautiful.
-Access to Arthur Avenue and Manhattan is great.
But as I said, no place is perfect
-ResLife rules are ridiculously strict in terms of visiting friend's dorms and lead many to move off campus. You learn how to get around the rules a bit, but it does get annoying.

-While I was always busy on weekends, the school should have more on-campus weekend activities-- it depends too much on people going off campus and to Manhattan for fun.

-Food quality isn't as good as it should be. I've been to other schools where Sodexo does the food and it was much better. Not sure if Fordham doesn't pay as much or doesn't demand as much for food services as other schools. But I had a kitchen the last two years so it becomes less important as time goes on.

-The core could be a little more flexible.
But overall, a great place. I wouldn't trade my years here for anything.

4th Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: C

This is my first year at Fordham and

Feb 04 2012Finance
This is my first year at Fordham and I've had mixed feelings. I love that it has a beautiful and lush campus, but is only 20 minutes away from the heart of manhattan and a 5 minute walk from the REAL little italy. The school also has a great reputation. Whenever I tell people that I go to Fordham, they have nothing but good things to say about it. I also feel that the majority of my classes are interesting, yet challenging. The facilities are also very nice. Freshman dorms are average, with community bathrooms and not much space. But after your first year, all dorm rooms have private bathroom, air-conditioning, and are much more spacious. The junior and senior dorms are even apartment style. However there are some things I do not like about Fordham. Their core curriculum is very rigid. As a finance major, I don't feel as though I should have to take classes such as "Faith and Critical Reasoning," among others. The internet is also terribly slow considering the hefty tuition that they charge. However my largest complaint is that Fordham is very much a "weekender" school. Because it is located in the tri-state area, and NYC has many trains to cities such as Philadelphia or DC, many students go home on the weekends. The campus can become very quiet on the weekends and the school does not provide a lot of activities. This really is more of a problem depending on your personality. Personally, I wish that more people stayed on campus, as it is quite easy to feel lonely, especially if you are a student that doesn't have the option of going home on a whim. All problems aside, Fordham University is a wonderful school and any graduate should be proud to have a degree from this institution.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015