StudentsReview ™ :: Fordham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University

don't even waste your time with Fordham

Mar 24 2014English
don't even waste your time with Fordham. I've been lucky to live and take classes at both campuses (LC and RH) and they are pretty different but here is the low-down on them both.

Staff usually appear friendly and helpful but good luck meeting with them outside of the email setting. In my experience the faculty and deans are self-absorbed in their supposed "success" and don't give actual help because as I have been told by more than one professor, "your undergrad career doesn't really matter so you don't need to understand the material, just try to pass." wow thanks what great advice.

There is no communication between departments. When I moved campuses, my ID didn't scan me into my building for nearly a month. I had to send multiple emails to the res life office and the deans to get them to change my official information so I could get into my own residence hall. When there was a death in my family, the assistant dean sent the standard email to the entire wrong group of professors two weeks after I had already returned to school. Clearly there are some major organizational issues among staff members...

Be prepared to do everything on your own. Administrators don't help you- they have better things to do. It is up to you to figure out how things are done. Make sure you activate your meal card or you won't be eating until the supervisor comes in once a week.

The kids are the same as they would be at most other universities, they are usually pretty wealthy. A lot of Chinese international students. If you are at Lincoln Center, however, be prepared for the "bitchface" attitude and know how to dress yourself, or you're in for a little bullying---something I thought we would all escape from in college but apparently not.

The rose hill campus is absolutely beautiful. but unfortunately it is only aesthetically appealing because the buildings are so old they are falling apart. there are a few newer buildings that are nice but they are upperclassman residence halls. The campus is gated in, likely because the neighboring area is very dangerous. We get security emails often telling us about how non-university affiliated people have been stealing iphones and sexually assaulting women. One dude got shot seven times in front of a bodega for no reason at all. That is what you risk by leaving campus. Naturally as a result everyone is really sheltered.

The Lincoln Center Campus is just one building. The student body is a third of that of the other campus, so they make it work. The class selection here is kind of limited, and most people I know usually needed more than 4 years to fulfill all requirements. It is going to take me 5 years and my major is one of the easiest to complete since it coincides with many core classes. Most students are NYU-rejects who wanted to live in the city. This campus is in a great location though. Right next to the central park and walking distance from so many places to eat, shop, watch movies, etc. Most of the students at LC are commuters so if you live in the dorm there it is a little lonely.

As a whole, the university could use some help. I would not recommend this school to anyone. I have had so much trouble working with the school to get anything done, so much that I got severely depressed because of it. I almost dropped out completely because I was so frustrated with the terrible treatment I got from the staff.

When every single one of my friends transferred to other schools after freshman and sophomore year, I should've noticed and taken it as a sign not to stay. I regret coming to fordham all together, honestly. The school has a good name but so many people are really unhappy here and it is contagious. If you don't get into NYU, you are likely to end up here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, University Resource Use: F

Listen, I'm going to provide a review that

Nov 20 2012Biology
Listen, I'm going to provide a review that is not often seen for Fordham; and that is one of a student who came from a small public school that was generally bad. A student who grew up with no money. A student who cares about much more than superficial college shit. And a student who is so confused that it's not even funny.

First word of advice , CONSIDER EVERYTHING. Here's my top ten advice:

1) The cost. If you can't afford it without taking out a 30,000 dollar private student loan per-year, then look somewhere else. Seriously, the interest means you'll be paying about 83,000 a year (yes, that's me). Without meaning to be harsh, throw out your romanticized idea of the fact you'll get a good paying job and it'll be easy to pay back. 400,000 isn't easy no matter how you look at it, especially if you need to go to graduate school to get a job that even pays close to what you need (which can be much more expensive). And don't think it's worth it to spend the money to get into Fordham Law afterwards, out of the 1200 enrolled at the law school, less than 50 are actually Fordham kids. (Dean told me this)

2) This is a private, jesuit college. When they mean no opposite sex guests, they mean it, and you WILL get in trouble. This is a catholic school and while they emphasize diversity, the students are not so open, trust me. And if you're of a different religion, you'll feel it.

3) A lot of students are rich and have no problem blowing all of their money on alcohol or stupid things. Which they do quite frequently. Not only that, but when you talk to some of the rich-kid stereotypes, they have no fucking idea what to do with their life. I'd kill to have the kind of money to not be transferring right now.

4) The only "social life" is drinking on the weekends. Yes there's little italy and the city but good-luck finding people that actually want to take the trip that far. Drinking's the easiest thing to do, so it's done.

5) THE FOOD. Okay, it's not that bad. Better than some places now that they've fixed it. But it does get repetitive and sometimes you just don't eat because you can't stand it. I've barely been here a semester and i've taken to eating once a day. It's so blah.

6) If you aren't "preppy", or loud, or like to get really drunk and fuck anything that moves, then you might not be happy here. If you have just ONE OUNCE of individuality (no, if you're a hipster, you're not individual. You'll fit in fine. We have a cafe for you) then Fordham isn't the place for you. If you have a PC instead of a Mac, prepare to be death stared everywhere you go. You WILL be the odd one out and it's going to suck. All because of that rich private school mentality.

7) Teachers tend to think you have no other classes but their own so you have about 13 hours a week of studying to do... PER CLASS. If you think i'm kidding, then subtract half a letter grade per hour. I'm serious. You WILL do tons of work and you WILL NOT have free time without sacrifice. It gets hard to maintain if you aren't used to it.

8) Speaking of which... I'm paying WAY TOO MUCH for the quality of education. I'm not learning anything new, the professors make me fall asleep much too easily and those that don't, probably have a dead bug up their butt. Because they're jerks. And those ivy-league guys? Yep, they're the worst. Because we're not good enough for them. And some of them even bring it up.

9) Oh and Fordham cares too much about their alumns and newly accepted students. Almost every even on campus is for them. There is rarely anything to do on the weekends except drink. There are plays and debates or "talks" with people on various intellectual topics, but they can be a bit hard to follow and sometimes they're at difficult times, mostly during the week which sucks because many students are commuters or live close by so they go home on the weekends when you actually need something to do.

10) Overall, if you were a cheerleader in high school or enjoy being EXTREMELY LOUD ALL THE TIME or drunk. Then this is the school for you. If you're coming here for an enriching education and lots of opportunities, you might be able to get that here if you go out of the way. If you're coming here just for the name, trust me it's not even worth it. That's what I'm struggling with right now. It saddens me to leave the "name", but what's the name without the whole package? A ton of fun-sucking bullshit. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, i'm transferring next semester. Hopefully, it'll be a better experience.

Either way, good luck and PLEASE consider all options before you decide to come here. Don't jump on a school for it's name, think about everything. It'll be worth it in the end.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: F

where ever you go,

Mar 26 2011Physics
where ever you go, just have an open mind; know that it won't be what you're used to, and that's ok. Be outgoing, get involved, and make it better. If it's hard at first don't give up...give it time.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013