StudentsReview :: Hofstra University - Comments and Student Experiences

Adelphi University -- Garden City, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Hofstra University

I absolutely adored my

Jul 02 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I absolutely adored my time at Hofstra. It's easy to graduate with multiple majors if you plan your time well, and I've had a lot of wonderful professors that know me very well. There are plenty of opportunities you can take advantage of. I would highly recommend Hofstra.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D

Im a commuter, so you could argue that

Apr 09 2014Biology
Im a commuter, so you could argue that i have a skewed view of campus life but i have plenty of friends that live on campus and freshman year for me was spent on their futons so i do know what campus life is like. bars get dull quickly, and parties only go downhill after welcome week, most of the reason i like hofstra is because of the friends ive made but hofstra itself hasnt done much. The value of a degree from here just doesnt feel like much. There are definitely brilliant people at this university that i know but there are also people that are complete idiots and they arent even just the athletes, it bothers me that in two years me and another person who can barely hold a conversation is gonna get a degree. Im not saying hofstra is bad, it is definitely one of the top universities in america but i guess im just the type of guy that like being the best of the best. I know plenty of people who have lived on campus and find it to be great but even they found that until they joined a fraternity it sucked, and then there are people who i know that transferred out and say it was the best decision they made.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A, Useful Schoolwork: B-

READ THIS BEFORE ATTENDING

May 14 2014Engineering Department
READ THIS BEFORE ATTENDINGSo at one point in my life I was considered brilliant, a 150+ I.Q. , but then a car accident and brain injury changed things. Im still capable of doing a lot but the advisors their dont help. For ex, I said I dont need to be overwhelmed because I have bad anxiety, and what does my advisor do??? He puts me into Calculus 3, Calc based physics and Matlab (an engineering math based on computers and computer language). So instead of challenging me with a few different courses, he puts me into 3 difficult math classes. My professor, who I confided in about my course load said "that was definitely the wrong thing to do, even for a person without anxiety." On the other hand my calc 3 teacher, is unreachable after class and outside his office hours. My classes were during his office hours, and he wasnt willing to give me 15 minutes. For ex: I had a question, he thought it was irrelevant and said talk to me after class ill help you. After class he says I have to go. He is also slow at grading tests. For ex: we had a double and triple integral test 2.5 weeks before the final, and he didn't get us the test back nor did he post a solution to the test. How is one to find out what areas he needs work on if you don't get your test back? He said " well its a lesson learned, take the class again." At 4500 per class I think not. The teachers constantly fail the students and then blame the students for not studying. Im sorry if 70% of the class is a C- or below, the teacher has a great deal to do with it. This University, as much as they want to be IVY league, will not be unless they remove the trash they have for teachers. I had a 3.9 GPA transferring in, and a 2.4 after one semester there. Their BIO department sucks, baaaaaaaaad! My brother going pre med, had a teacher who failed to teach the material. He zipped through slides without explaining anything (I mean 230 powerpoint slides for one test), the class average was 56 on the first test. So what does he do, he takes another teachers class average (a 79), combines his with hers, averages the two and then curves the test. That right there is coercion, hiding his failure to teach with one that could. So in the end he is getting relieved of that class, and during the final a student says" I smell fear and resentment up there," and the teacher says " you think thats funny, take a look at the test." Because he was getting relieved, he purposely made the test not passable to spite the department. Now you have a bunch of students who have to plea to have a grade adjustment, but in order to get into med school, you need B+ or better. In the end, you have a corporate lawyer running the school at a whopping $950,000 per year, and is turning it into a business rather than a educational institution. For the money go somewhere else, and experience a world away from Uniondale, which is riddled with crime.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018