StudentsReview ™ :: Hofstra University - Comments and Student Experiences

Adelphi University -- Garden City, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Hofstra University

I had a bad feeling right before I

Jan 22 2014Philosophy
I had a bad feeling right before I left for school, not that I was looking to have a negative experience but it's been torture. I cannot wait until I can transfer out of this school. Honestly, get out while you can or don't even do it to yourself at all. I talked to one of my professors and she said that the rate of students transferring out of this school was fifty percent or higher and I do not doubt that in the least. It is so expensive and not worth a single cent. The professors and advisors are hard to contact. I have met one professor who was truly challenging and thought-provoking. I had a mandatory meeting with my advisor and she made me wait 45 minutes past my appointment because someone walked in with GRE test booklets and decided to not let me know. Apparently my scheduled appointment and time was less important than someone walking in. Half of my professors have been adjunct and do not do course work that is relevant. Almost every assignment that I received was busy work and had no positive effect on my studies. I came here knowing that this school was not known for my major and I thought it was okay, but please if you want to major in any science, social or otherwise, don't come here. I came to this school with the silly idea that it would be kind of close to New York City and that at least counted for something right? Wrong. I don't have my car so I have to wait for the shuttle to go to a train station that is less than safe and schedule anything I need to do around when that shuttle will be there and when it comes back if it even shows up. Public Safety is a joke. They don't respond to noise complaints or do anything about them. The number of times I've seen them sitting in their cars eating is astounding. I've also been almost hit by cars who do not abide by the stop signs around campus so many times; yet Public Safety does NOTHING about the constant reckless driving. Do not come here if you don't like to party because that is all there is to do (especially if you don't have a car). The members of the frats and sororities are some of the most judgmental and stuck up I've ever met. The general campus vibe is stuck up and you won't fit in unless you have money. Hempstead is not a safe place for anyone to be walking around at night and probably not even during the day. If you have a car or can tolerate taking the shuttle then Roosevelt Field Mall is nice. Don't count on getting a job on campus either. I responded to 6 postings and not one person emailed me back concerning these jobs. Don't even get me started on how expensive and disgusting the food is on campus. Lackmann does not care about your dietary needs, correctly labeling items, or doing a good job in general. The only place I can stomach at this point is Organic Grill and I'm so sick of it. Dutch Treats costs three times the amount that you would pay in a normal store. It's not if you run out of money for dining, it's a matter of when and it is very, very easy to do. The dorms are often in need of repair and if or when those repairs happen is questionable. The washers and dryers in my dorm were broken for two weeks before anyone bothered to fix them and the complaint I filed to maintenance was not responded to until three weeks later about something in my room. Most of the dorms on campus are not in good shape either. The paint is peeling off the walls and the people who clean it in the summer and on break still leave it a disgusting mess. The maintenance people will wake you up at 6 am if you live near the ground with completely unnecessary things like leaf blowing in December. Oh and if you ever wonder where your money is going, perhaps it's going down the drain because the sprinklers are constantly on (even when it rains and snows) and are everywhere. Please, please save yourself the trouble and the money and do not come here even if they give you a huge scholarship like they gave me. DON'T LET THEM FOOL YOU. They don't care about you as an individual, you're money to them. They will keep you longer if you aren't careful about getting the right amount of credits. It's a failing university and they just want your money.
Friendliness: C+, Education Quality: F

I am a fairly independent student, and managed

Jan 14 2014English
I am a fairly independent student, and managed to graduate early. However, this was no thanks to the advisement center. If you're lucky, you'll make a connection with one teacher and they MIGHT take the time to guide you. The advisement center will tell you over and over again that you're taking the right clAsses, and you're on track, and then will say AFTER you've walked for graduation that you're x amount of credits short. I am personally familiar with students who have had good, full time jobs lined up only to find out a week before their start date that they're 3 credits short-- and don't expect anything to be waived because you're real life is about to start. If you can handle setting up your courses yourself, finding a job with little to no help from the career center, and don't mind being swarmed by Greek life, then sure.. Hofstra will work for you. Oh, and investing in a bullet proof vest might not be a bad idea. The area surrounding the campus is a gang capital, and the locals don't let the students forget that they do not belong roaming the streets.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Individual Value: A-, Surrounding City: F

If Hofstra can keep

Sep 16 2013Business - Management and Administration
If Hofstra can keep you an extra semester to make another $20,000 off you they can and will. I also feel like I've been robbed of six months of my life and there's nothing I can do about it. Individual departments may be good, but the academic administration is a soul and money sucking nightmare.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015