StudentsReview :: Hofstra University - Comments and Student Experiences

Adelphi University -- Garden City, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

All I can say is don't Hofstra seemsBrightPerfomance Arts
All I can say is don't Hofstra seems appealing with it being so close to NYC, but that's really the only good thing. I majored in drama, and half the professors were educated at Hofstra! No one in any department knew what they were talking about and they told us if anyone came up to ask why the tuition was so high we should avoid the question. The so called "BFA" program is a scam, and without it you're basically paying 60k for no major. The kids who had gotten in came out with no connections, about the same education that AMDA could give you (except 50k cheaper) and a school that looks the other way when you ask why you don't have a job. It says a lot when someone transfers to a community college just to get out of the trap that is Hofstra. The food is awful and the amount of times people found bugs in their food was too many to count. Hofstra is located in the lovely town of Hempstead, known for its gangs and high crime rate. My first year I got three emails a week telling us to travel in groups because there had been students mugged walking back from parties. The school totes their proximity to NYC as a feature yet sets a time limit on the shuttle that takes you to the nearest train station, saying that after a certain time it's too dangerous for them to come, and if you find yourself stuck there then you better know someone with a car. Even the attendance policy, which varies per major, is insane. If you find yourself in the hospital, or just sick, then you better show up to class with an IV because if you're absent more than 2 times they drop your grade and recommend you drop the class. If I could give this school 0 stars I would. If you're even thinking of attending simply because you didn't get in anywhere else (like the majority of people who go to Hofstra, it's a 'well I didn't get into my top choice but this will do' school), I implore you to look elsewhere. I didn't do well my first semester of freshman year due to my family moving and it being a new environment. As a result I lost my scholarship, but when I tried to explain that I was simply getting used to being alone and not having any family close they told me that it didn't matter and that I could appeal again next year. They rope you in by showing you the gym, which is about the only thing they'll spend money on, and have the student guides, who are paid to lie (I know because I went to the training to be one, but when I was told about the questions to avoid: tuition, do people drink/ do drugs). The dorms are small and packed (they have 4 people to a room the size of a normal dorm, they call it a quad). There's so much to say about why this school is terrible, but I'll leave it at a simple DON'T. Don't go, no matter how appealing it sounds, it's not.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: C, Education Quality: F
READ THIS BEFORE ATTENDINGQuite BrightEngineering Department
READ THIS BEFORE ATTENDINGSo at one point in my life I was considered brilliant, a 150+ I.Q. , but then a car accident and brain injury changed things. Im still capable of doing a lot but the advisors their dont help. For ex, I said I dont need to be overwhelmed because I have bad anxiety, and what does my advisor do??? He puts me into Calculus 3, Calc based physics and Matlab (an engineering math based on computers and computer language). So instead of challenging me with a few different courses, he puts me into 3 difficult math classes. My professor, who I confided in about my course load said "that was definitely the wrong thing to do, even for a person without anxiety." On the other hand my calc 3 teacher, is unreachable after class and outside his office hours. My classes were during his office hours, and he wasnt willing to give me 15 minutes. For ex: I had a question, he thought it was irrelevant and said talk to me after class ill help you. After class he says I have to go. He is also slow at grading tests. For ex: we had a double and triple integral test 2.5 weeks before the final, and he didn't get us the test back nor did he post a solution to the test. How is one to find out what areas he needs work on if you don't get your test back? He said " well its a lesson learned, take the class again." At 4500 per class I think not. The teachers constantly fail the students and then blame the students for not studying. Im sorry if 70% of the class is a C- or below, the teacher has a great deal to do with it. This University, as much as they want to be IVY league, will not be unless they remove the trash they have for teachers. I had a 3.9 GPA transferring in, and a 2.4 after one semester there. Their BIO department sucks, baaaaaaaaad! My brother going pre med, had a teacher who failed to teach the material. He zipped through slides without explaining anything (I mean 230 powerpoint slides for one test), the class average was 56 on the first test. So what does he do, he takes another teachers class average (a 79), combines his with hers, averages the two and then curves the test. That right there is coercion, hiding his failure to teach with one that could. So in the end he is getting relieved of that class, and during the final a student says" I smell fear and resentment up there," and the teacher says " you think thats funny, take a look at the test." Because he was getting relieved, he purposely made the test not passable to spite the department. Now you have a bunch of students who have to plea to have a grade adjustment, but in order to get into med school, you need B+ or better. In the end, you have a corporate lawyer running the school at a whopping $950,000 per year, and is turning it into a business rather than a educational institution. For the money go somewhere else, and experience a world away from Uniondale, which is riddled with crime.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I had a bad feeling right before IBrightPhilosophy
I had a bad feeling right before I left for school, not that I was looking to have a negative experience but it's been torture. I cannot wait until I can transfer out of this school. Honestly, get out while you can or don't even do it to yourself at all. I talked to one of my professors and she said that the rate of students transferring out of this school was fifty percent or higher and I do not doubt that in the least. It is so expensive and not worth a single cent. The professors and advisors are hard to contact. I have met one professor who was truly challenging and thought-provoking. I had a mandatory meeting with my advisor and she made me wait 45 minutes past my appointment because someone walked in with GRE test booklets and decided to not let me know. Apparently my scheduled appointment and time was less important than someone walking in. Half of my professors have been adjunct and do not do course work that is relevant. Almost every assignment that I received was busy work and had no positive effect on my studies. I came here knowing that this school was not known for my major and I thought it was okay, but please if you want to major in any science, social or otherwise, don't come here. I came to this school with the silly idea that it would be kind of close to New York City and that at least counted for something right? Wrong. I don't have my car so I have to wait for the shuttle to go to a train station that is less than safe and schedule anything I need to do around when that shuttle will be there and when it comes back if it even shows up. Public Safety is a joke. They don't respond to noise complaints or do anything about them. The number of times I've seen them sitting in their cars eating is astounding. I've also been almost hit by cars who do not abide by the stop signs around campus so many times; yet Public Safety does NOTHING about the constant reckless driving. Do not come here if you don't like to party because that is all there is to do (especially if you don't have a car). The members of the frats and sororities are some of the most judgmental and stuck up I've ever met. The general campus vibe is stuck up and you won't fit in unless you have money. Hempstead is not a safe place for anyone to be walking around at night and probably not even during the day. If you have a car or can tolerate taking the shuttle then Roosevelt Field Mall is nice. Don't count on getting a job on campus either. I responded to 6 postings and not one person emailed me back concerning these jobs. Don't even get me started on how expensive and disgusting the food is on campus. Lackmann does not care about your dietary needs, correctly labeling items, or doing a good job in general. The only place I can stomach at this point is Organic Grill and I'm so sick of it. Dutch Treats costs three times the amount that you would pay in a normal store. It's not if you run out of money for dining, it's a matter of when and it is very, very easy to do. The dorms are often in need of repair and if or when those repairs happen is questionable. The washers and dryers in my dorm were broken for two weeks before anyone bothered to fix them and the complaint I filed to maintenance was not responded to until three weeks later about something in my room. Most of the dorms on campus are not in good shape either. The paint is peeling off the walls and the people who clean it in the summer and on break still leave it a disgusting mess. The maintenance people will wake you up at 6 am if you live near the ground with completely unnecessary things like leaf blowing in December. Oh and if you ever wonder where your money is going, perhaps it's going down the drain because the sprinklers are constantly on (even when it rains and snows) and are everywhere. Please, please save yourself the trouble and the money and do not come here even if they give you a huge scholarship like they gave me. DON'T LET THEM FOOL YOU. They don't care about you as an individual, you're money to them. They will keep you longer if you aren't careful about getting the right amount of credits. It's a failing university and they just want your money.
Friendliness: C+, Education Quality: F
Compare HofstraSave Hofstra

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→