StudentsReview :: Hofstra University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Hofstra University

READ THIS BEFORE ATTENDING

May 14 2014Engineering Department
READ THIS BEFORE ATTENDINGSo at one point in my life I was considered brilliant, a 150+ I.Q. , but then a car accident and brain injury changed things. Im still capable of doing a lot but the advisors their dont help. For ex, I said I dont need to be overwhelmed because I have bad anxiety, and what does my advisor do??? He puts me into Calculus 3, Calc based physics and Matlab (an engineering math based on computers and computer language). So instead of challenging me with a few different courses, he puts me into 3 difficult math classes. My professor, who I confided in about my course load said "that was definitely the wrong thing to do, even for a person without anxiety." On the other hand my calc 3 teacher, is unreachable after class and outside his office hours. My classes were during his office hours, and he wasnt willing to give me 15 minutes. For ex: I had a question, he thought it was irrelevant and said talk to me after class ill help you. After class he says I have to go. He is also slow at grading tests. For ex: we had a double and triple integral test 2.5 weeks before the final, and he didn't get us the test back nor did he post a solution to the test. How is one to find out what areas he needs work on if you don't get your test back? He said " well its a lesson learned, take the class again." At 4500 per class I think not. The teachers constantly fail the students and then blame the students for not studying. Im sorry if 70% of the class is a C- or below, the teacher has a great deal to do with it. This University, as much as they want to be IVY league, will not be unless they remove the trash they have for teachers. I had a 3.9 GPA transferring in, and a 2.4 after one semester there. Their BIO department sucks, baaaaaaaaad! My brother going pre med, had a teacher who failed to teach the material. He zipped through slides without explaining anything (I mean 230 powerpoint slides for one test), the class average was 56 on the first test. So what does he do, he takes another teachers class average (a 79), combines his with hers, averages the two and then curves the test. That right there is coercion, hiding his failure to teach with one that could. So in the end he is getting relieved of that class, and during the final a student says" I smell fear and resentment up there," and the teacher says " you think thats funny, take a look at the test." Because he was getting relieved, he purposely made the test not passable to spite the department. Now you have a bunch of students who have to plea to have a grade adjustment, but in order to get into med school, you need B+ or better. In the end, you have a corporate lawyer running the school at a whopping $950,000 per year, and is turning it into a business rather than a educational institution. For the money go somewhere else, and experience a world away from Uniondale, which is riddled with crime.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I am a fairly independent student, and managed

Jan 14 2014English
I am a fairly independent student, and managed to graduate early. However, this was no thanks to the advisement center. If you're lucky, you'll make a connection with one teacher and they MIGHT take the time to guide you. The advisement center will tell you over and over again that you're taking the right clAsses, and you're on track, and then will say AFTER you've walked for graduation that you're x amount of credits short. I am personally familiar with students who have had good, full time jobs lined up only to find out a week before their start date that they're 3 credits short-- and don't expect anything to be waived because you're real life is about to start. If you can handle setting up your courses yourself, finding a job with little to no help from the career center, and don't mind being swarmed by Greek life, then sure.. Hofstra will work for you. Oh, and investing in a bullet proof vest might not be a bad idea. The area surrounding the campus is a gang capital, and the locals don't let the students forget that they do not belong roaming the streets.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Individual Value: A-, Surrounding City: F

I had a bad feeling right before I

Jan 22 2014Philosophy
I had a bad feeling right before I left for school, not that I was looking to have a negative experience but it's been torture. I cannot wait until I can transfer out of this school. Honestly, get out while you can or don't even do it to yourself at all. I talked to one of my professors and she said that the rate of students transferring out of this school was fifty percent or higher and I do not doubt that in the least. It is so expensive and not worth a single cent. The professors and advisors are hard to contact. I have met one professor who was truly challenging and thought-provoking. I had a mandatory meeting with my advisor and she made me wait 45 minutes past my appointment because someone walked in with GRE test booklets and decided to not let me know. Apparently my scheduled appointment and time was less important than someone walking in. Half of my professors have been adjunct and do not do course work that is relevant. Almost every assignment that I received was busy work and had no positive effect on my studies. I came here knowing that this school was not known for my major and I thought it was okay, but please if you want to major in any science, social or otherwise, don't come here. I came to this school with the silly idea that it would be kind of close to New York City and that at least counted for something right? Wrong. I don't have my car so I have to wait for the shuttle to go to a train station that is less than safe and schedule anything I need to do around when that shuttle will be there and when it comes back if it even shows up. Public Safety is a joke. They don't respond to noise complaints or do anything about them. The number of times I've seen them sitting in their cars eating is astounding. I've also been almost hit by cars who do not abide by the stop signs around campus so many times; yet Public Safety does NOTHING about the constant reckless driving. Do not come here if you don't like to party because that is all there is to do (especially if you don't have a car). The members of the frats and sororities are some of the most judgmental and stuck up I've ever met. The general campus vibe is stuck up and you won't fit in unless you have money. Hempstead is not a safe place for anyone to be walking around at night and probably not even during the day. If you have a car or can tolerate taking the shuttle then Roosevelt Field Mall is nice. Don't count on getting a job on campus either. I responded to 6 postings and not one person emailed me back concerning these jobs. Don't even get me started on how expensive and disgusting the food is on campus. Lackmann does not care about your dietary needs, correctly labeling items, or doing a good job in general. The only place I can stomach at this point is Organic Grill and I'm so sick of it. Dutch Treats costs three times the amount that you would pay in a normal store. It's not if you run out of money for dining, it's a matter of when and it is very, very easy to do. The dorms are often in need of repair and if or when those repairs happen is questionable. The washers and dryers in my dorm were broken for two weeks before anyone bothered to fix them and the complaint I filed to maintenance was not responded to until three weeks later about something in my room. Most of the dorms on campus are not in good shape either. The paint is peeling off the walls and the people who clean it in the summer and on break still leave it a disgusting mess. The maintenance people will wake you up at 6 am if you live near the ground with completely unnecessary things like leaf blowing in December. Oh and if you ever wonder where your money is going, perhaps it's going down the drain because the sprinklers are constantly on (even when it rains and snows) and are everywhere. Please, please save yourself the trouble and the money and do not come here even if they give you a huge scholarship like they gave me. DON'T LET THEM FOOL YOU. They don't care about you as an individual, you're money to them. They will keep you longer if you aren't careful about getting the right amount of credits. It's a failing university and they just want your money.
Friendliness: C+, Education Quality: F