StudentsReview :: Hofstra University - Comments and Student Experiences

Adelphi University -- Garden City, NY
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Hofstra University

Jul 02 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I absolutely adored my time at Hofstra. It's easy to graduate with multiple majors if you plan your time well, and I've had a lot of wonderful professors that know me very well. There are plenty of opportunities you can take advantage of. I would highly recommend Hofstra.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D
Nov 19 2012Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I recently transferred to HU from a CUNY in the city. After spending 2 and a half years at that school (dreading every minute), I decided to finish the second part of my junior year and my entire senior year here. As I applied late in January, I did not have many options. I attended HU's on the spot admission event and made it in without any problems. I did like the campus and the faculty seemed nicer; they actual treat you like people (unlike CUNYS)

Reading some of the reviews here I want to address some points. First, I may be biased on the difficulty of education here because CUNY schools are crazy. They will rip the skin off your back. I am pre-med so trust me, I studied 24/7 my science class lectures had 200-700 people and 90% of the students failed the classes. That being said, the education here is much easier (for me). However, not to say it is completely easy; you do need to study and put in work to get As. As it is anywhere, you will encounter some easy professors, some average professors, and some a**hole professors who want make your life harder.

Put in the work, you should be fine. And you will have time for a social life.
The campus itself is gorgeous. However, there is not much to do outside of campus except attend bars (if that's your scene). Being a city girl, I find it quite boring here, but then again I haven't really explored much around here.

People; so far I understand what most people say about this school having arrogant stupid people. Hey, there are arrogant stupid people everywhere. Yes, they are anti-social. I guess for out of state people it may be harder to make friends here as you didn't grow up here and don't know anyone. But let me assure you it is not impossible. My first semester here I felt like an outsider and I couldn't stand the stupid slutty antisocial people. I don't take sh*t from people and growing up in Brooklyn, I have developed tough skin. Nonetheless, I have met some genuine people my first semester here. It's easier to spot them apart from all the arrognat slutty girls here. If all the people here complaining that they can't find friends contacted each other, I am sure you would be surprised to find how big your social group would be! I have met LI people and those who transferred here as well that are just great. Stay away from those you don't like, trust me, finding genuine people is much easier in a school filled with crappy ones.

So far, this school has been an upgrade because I am treated as a person here and not a number. Professors know my name, they are more acccomodating, and it's a little more laid back.

I suggest looking at the bright side of things; people complain about stupid people. Guess what? it's not you so you shouldn't care if half the class failed the test. It's their problem. Worry about yourself, do the work and you will be fine. On the contrary, they help you by raising the curve in the class so you end up with a better grade.

Every person has a different experience. I do not think you should judge the school without seeing it for yourself. Visit the campus, observe what you like and don't like. Evaluate the school based on your priorities, not the people who go here (as that is what most people complain about). If making friends is more important than your education, then I don't think this is the school for you. If you want a university where you can get good grades (and let's face it, grad schools, med, law schools care about GPA) then you should consider if you can handle the curriculum here. They do have connections, but I guess that depends on what you want to pursue.

Financially, I did receive a partial scholarship, but the school is expensive. I do not regret going here though; I would have spent the same amount of money at Columbia and probably have worse grades than here.

Like I said, take a tour of the school, see what vibe you get from it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: D-
Dec 20 2011Video/Media
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm a Television major at Hofstra in my junior year. It's been an amazing experience. I didn't choose Hofstra because it was my number one choice. I chose it because they gave me a full scholarship. I'm so glad I ended up coming here though. Hofstra has really helped me attain my goals. I have had 3 internships in 30 Rock at NBC and have so many connections I'm basically guaranteed a job after graduation. The TV program is great here and the campus is absolutely beautiful. The surrounding city is awful, but the campus has plenty to do. Plus, you're only about an hour away from New York City by bus/train. Social life is great here too. Definitely get involved with clubs and extracurricular. If you're coming in as a Freshman, I highly recommend living in The Netherlands. I met so many people by living there. We would all go to the bars together on weekends (the bars let you in and let you drink as long as you're 18+). It's an amazing school. No regrets about coming here.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2012