StudentsReview :: Hudson Valley Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hudson Valley Community College

Aug 19 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Community colleges, in general, are a good choice for those looking to save money pursuing a Bachelor's degree. Hudson Valley is a good choice if you live in the capital region. While there's not much in terms of nightlife/things to do and student clubs (if you transfer later though there will probably be plenty of that at that school), there are events on campus and theater plays ect. and most people who go there are well aware they're there to get an education and not screw around too much, friendly environment. The teachers and staff as well as tutors are really helpful and know their stuff. Also a great school for any of the two year/certificate programs, or the few Bachelors degrees they offer. That being said, if you don't live that close or don't have anyone to stay with you could do just as well at the closest community college you live by.
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+
Dec 04 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
It's alright for a community college.
Most of my teachers were easily accessible and helpful. They were willing to work with you to help you. Then again, the other half of my teachers were not as so and often threw you strong curve balls because they want things done by their expectations. One of my teachers said you would have to visit her office to figure out her office hours.

The people in my classes were okay. Most of the people were there for their degree and nothing more. They didn't want to work and it was pathetic. I have only met a few people who are nice and want to achieve greatness.

The Public Safety Department is RIDICULOUS. I park in the Overflow Lot and they once gave me a ticket, saying they would tow my car if I parked there again. However, I've seen many other people park in the same spot and no tickets for them. That lot is packed with people parking alongside the fence. I'm lucky I never back into those cars because that's how close it is. Plus, people are just plain assholes who park in two parking spaces. Just because you have a big truck doesn't mean it has to take two parking spots. Those assholes deserve tickets.If you want a good parking spot, you have to get here early.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: B+, Individual Value: F
Oct 19 2011Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This is not the first time I've been in college or taken college classes, so I felt that I was prepared for whatever they had to throw at me. I'm enrolled in a certification program, and based on all of the previous experience I have had with these particular programs, I was expecting far more than I have received.

Some of the instructors are an absolute joke. You sit in class and wonder if they have *current* real life experience in the field. Some instructors hide behind PowerPoint presentation and do very little teaching. There is very little communication coming from the program coordinator, which is really unhelpful when you need to set up clinical and internship hours or know where you stand as far as finishing the program is concerned. It takes probably 15 emails and half a dozen phone calls to get anybody to help you get anything done.

Some of the faculty treat the students like 5-year-olds. Others expect us to be omnipotent.
As far as outside of my program, out of the countless times I've had to call financial aid, records, and admissions, only once did I ever speak to somebody who was friendly and helpful. Most of the people in those offices sound like you're interrupting their soap operas and would rather just get you off the phone than actually help you.

This is not to say that all of my experiences with HVCC have been negative. There are a handful of very caring and dedicated faculty who have been nothing short of wonderful. They want us to do well and succeed. But those are the minority rather than the majority.If I had known when I enrolled in the program what I know now, I never would have done it through HVCC. I had heard such great things about the instructors and the material and how they were going to challenge us to be better. At this point, I'm just trying to complete what's required of me, pass the test, and get my certification card.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012