StudentsReview :: Hudson Valley Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hudson Valley Community College

Every semester, something went wrong.BrightOther
Every semester, something went wrong. Whether it was my paperwork, payment issues, or something else. I would leave, then the one brilliant, attentive faculty member would convince me to come back and finish, Professor J. Kennedy. So I would come back, and get more of the same, but supposedly i am done and have my degree now (they said that once before though, so we shall see). They changed degree standards so I have a completely different degree than what I wanted unless I wanted to complete twenty more credits to make up for the ones that would no longer quality. They damaged my credit with a hundred dollar collection I never knew about. They do have a few great minds on staff, but overall the institution was not trust worthy for me.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
Community colleges, in general, are a good choiceAverageOther
Community colleges, in general, are a good choice for those looking to save money pursuing a Bachelor's degree. Hudson Valley is a good choice if you live in the capital region. While there's not much in terms of nightlife/things to do and student clubs (if you transfer later though there will probably be plenty of that at that school), there are events on campus and theater plays ect. and most people who go there are well aware they're there to get an education and not screw around too much, friendly environment. The teachers and staff as well as tutors are really helpful and know their stuff. Also a great school for any of the two year/certificate programs, or the few Bachelors degrees they offer. That being said, if you don't live that close or don't have anyone to stay with you could do just as well at the closest community college you live by.
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+
It's alright for a community college.BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
It's alright for a community college.
Most of my teachers were easily accessible and helpful. They were willing to work with you to help you. Then again, the other half of my teachers were not as so and often threw you strong curve balls because they want things done by their expectations. One of my teachers said you would have to visit her office to figure out her office hours.

The people in my classes were okay. Most of the people were there for their degree and nothing more. They didn't want to work and it was pathetic. I have only met a few people who are nice and want to achieve greatness.

The Public Safety Department is RIDICULOUS. I park in the Overflow Lot and they once gave me a ticket, saying they would tow my car if I parked there again. However, I've seen many other people park in the same spot and no tickets for them. That lot is packed with people parking alongside the fence. I'm lucky I never back into those cars because that's how close it is. Plus, people are just plain assholes who park in two parking spaces. Just because you have a big truck doesn't mean it has to take two parking spots. Those assholes deserve tickets.If you want a good parking spot, you have to get here early.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: B+, Individual Value: F

University of Miami (FL) 1:negative

Mount Holyoke College (MA) 1:negative

Texas A & M University College Station (TX) 1:neutral

Kansas City Art Institute (MO)