StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

Iona is basically a community college.BrightEnglish
Iona is basically a community college. For starters, you're classmates won't exactly be the brightest or most passionate people . I had a class where the same 3 people came in ten minutes late. The class average for our Sociology 101 midterm was a 67. This was a goddamn Sociology 101 class! there's nothing to do in the surrounding area (there is literally ONE bar in vicinity of the school), clubs and greek life are practically non existent. If you didn't go on social media, you'd have no idea we had any clubs. The school is also very unhelpful with regards to getting information out about Internships. I only found out about a NBC Universal internship from a Twitter retweet. The food is......well it's shit. The only good food place in the area is Westchester Taco, and they just recently stopped accepting the meal plan. One positive note I will say is that there were definitely a few teachers who genuinely seemed to give a shit about what they were teaching. These teachers deserved a much better audience than the students at Iona. As I said before, Iona was basically a community college, and no one should be paying thousands for that type of education.
1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Campus Maintenance: A-, Education Quality: F
I started my second year at Iona College,Quite BrightCommunications
I started my second year at Iona College, and I'm alarmed with the very low ranking Iona received - (80 out of 100); that's so bad and so low.

I also don't want to pay Iona's high tution rate and fees to for the next few years, when Iona's ranking is this low.

If I'm paying close to $50,000 per year, I want quality and a high ranking - like the other posters also wrote about in their comments.

I'm not that happy at Iona, but this ranking - made me decide to transfer to a college that is ranked in the Top 25 or 50 in New York, especially if I'm majoring in Communications. TV and Radio Broadcast Networks, I'm sure won't be attending Iona's job fairs, when they learn about Iona's low ranking of 80.

As it is, it is so competitive to enter into the broadcasting/journalism fields, and I want to have every edge to make me a Top Candidate for a job - and graduating from a low-ranked college - like Iona, will definitely impede my chances.

Iona's campus is nice, but so are most other campuses.
Like others mentioned, Iona needs to clean house from the Top on Down. If the President allowed Iona's rankings to fall so low, Iona needs a change, and I hope the Board members do something before Iona is ranked 100 out of 100.I'm leaving in the Spring - I want value for my money - and right now, I'm not receiving value at Iona.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
I consider myself to be bright - maybeQuite Bright
I consider myself to be bright - maybe hard-working. I study hard because I want to attain good grades. I thought I made a wise choice choosing Iona College - to gain my Bachelor's Degree. I loved where Iona College is located - the main reason I decided to attend. I guess that wasn't a BRIGHT way to choose a college.

Anyway, I'm at Iona now, and I'm miserable - just not happy with Iona's Academic Support. Some of my classes are so crowded - students joke around and are so disrespectful to the Professors. Professors have to tell students to put their phones away - it's a joke. Very sad, but true.

The Tutoring Center, is ineffective- many times I went in, and there were no tutors to help me, and other times, Peer Tutors were assisting me with Math, and they didn't know how to teach me. They get paid minimum wage. I'm paying thousands for my courses - I want a Professional Tutor or my Teacher. Iona doesn't hire many full-time professors - so my teachers are not always around when you need help.

I don't want to be helped by a Peer Tutor making minium wage when I'm paying $50,000 to attend Iona. Some Peer Tutors are good, but that's not the point. I want to have access to my Professors - they teach the course, they developed the curriculum.

The Social life is lacking, and the advisment is very poor. If you want to work a few hours - near campus, there are not many places to find jobs.

Iona is just not a motivational learning experience. It seems like Iona is trying to cut-back at every corner - cheap way out - and I'm paying too much, like all students, not to expect quality, and full-time staff.

I've gone to offices - the staff is so limited due to the high-employee turnover, and Iona is replacing workers with part-time staff.

I don't think the President or Top Management have a clue what is going on or care - they keep getting paid. If they did know how to Manage and run a college, why is it falling apart?

There is limited parking for students - and you are paying. My friends drive around and around to find parking - sometimes making them late for class, and if they park in a wrong parking space - to get to class on-time, Iona's Security - is driving around to give tickets -I think parking should be accessible. If you pay to bring your car to campus - high tuition, you should receive VIP parking like the President - and his staff - you are paying his salary.

Students shouldn't get tickets if there is no parking spaces left - and have to park to get to class - that's the college's problem. Students are paying enough fees.

All around, Iona is just not run like a first-class business, so I don't want to get my BBA from Iona.

Manhattan College and Marist are doing something right - they made the top 50 Colleges in NY - affordable colleges.

I want an exceptional college experience since I'm paying
fees and tuition rates that are a rip-off - in my honest opinion.
Limited parking, part-time staff, Adjunct Professors - paying high fees to get helped by other college tutors receiving minimum wage - it's just not a conducive to quality.

There is no Social Life at Iona. The Community Service Iona does is very good, and you can eat at Restaurants - outside of campus - that's nice, but Iona takes a percentage - all around, Iona wants your money.

Iona wants Big Money for Small services - and no quality - sad but true.
I do have to say some of my Professors are good, but shouldn't they be, when I'm paying $50,000 - isn't that a given?I'm not asking for much - but, classes that are not-professional, students acting out in class, tutors that are not experienced, and on and on - Iona is just not worth the money, and I'm not going into student debt to attend Iona -because Iona's support services are inadequate.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920