StudentsReview :: LIM College - Comments and Student Experiences

LIM College

This school is great if you're very serious

Jan 24 2014Business - Management and Administration
This school is great if you're very serious about going into fashion. I do believe that the classes and opportunities offered will help you get a job when you graduate. There are some stupid classes, but that comes with any college. It is not a traditional college experience. If you value meeting other college kids and going to parties don't go here. It's also very expensive, not only in tuition, but just to live here. Because there's no cafeteria you have to buy all of your own food and it's grossly expensive, especially at Gristedes which is near the dorms. I'd recommend making the trek down to Trader Joes in Union Square. The food is better quality, the people are nicer and it's literally half the price. And you'll be paying $112 a month for a metrocard. The dorms are nice, but location sucks. Don't be fooled by "the upper east side." The dorms are a block away from Harlem and there's absolutely nothing to do close by except for go to Central Park. On another note, a lot of the girls here are really stupid, like don't know what 7x7 is stupid, I mean it, a girl asked me that. They're also very stuck up and arrogant. Personally I find a lot of them annoying. There are a few intelligent, nice, smart, hard working people here, you just have to find them. And while we're still talking personally, after a year here I've decided to transfer. I hate fashion and New York city now. Before I came here I loved it, it was all I considered doing in life, but I felt trapped here. It's hard to find things to do because everything costs so much money and it's hard to make friends because most people aren't that welcoming. I'm going to be pursuing a marketing degree back in my home state so I can be closer to my friends and get a normal college experience, something I thought I'd be fine without, but my priorities have changed. I don't regret going to LIM, I learned a lot about myself, but if you have any tiny bit of doubt about being in the fashion industry and you value house parties don't come to school here.
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: C
Jul 01 2013Unknown
I am graduating this fall after i complete my coop. I will be recieving a bba in merchandising. I transferred to the college in 2011 and have no regrets. I absolutely love it. The city is a playground during breaks throughout the day. Professors are always looking to help and make you succeed and be the best you you can be. There are obviously some classes that I didn't like or found pointless, but that's going to be found at any college. I think the students who complain on here or say they absolutely hate it, are not meant to be in NYC or in fashion. I found that in the last two years the people who hate it or end up transferring always end up hating the city, major, or its not what they expected. Do not come to LIM if you are looking for a ?normal? college experience because you will not get it. I have had the best time here. I have had great internships and networked with my peers along with professors. The professors have worked in the industry and there is no better connection then them. If you are serious about a career in fashion and no that it is more than just liking fashion or clothes you will love it here!!

FIXED MY RATINGS!! I never gave an F to anything.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: B+

I've only been at LIM College a year

Jul 28 2014Unknown
I've only been at LIM College a year. I just finished my first year, and am about to hopefully go into my sophomore year. The only problem is my financial aid from the college has not yet arrived!!! I submitted everything months ago!!!! Honestly the school is more focused on getting you a job and you just working. You will not be academically challenged here to be completely honest. I was set on coming to this school from the time I was a sophomore in high school. I have to say LIM really knows how to market themselves well, and to making them seem like the best option. Honestly do your research on the college and see if it's really the best option for you! MAJORITY of the professors who teach the business aspects of the college are not proficient in English, especially the ones in the math department. I had a very hard time understanding their accents!! A lot of the fashion professors do not really care either!! They will just often times look over your work and stick a grade on it! I must say professor Cotto was a great english composition professor, he actually cared. Professor Meatto was good, as was professor Collier. My first year experience was what I expected socially in terms of being in the city. Most New York City colleges don't typically have the "normal' college experience, one being a lot of students are commuters, others are busy juggling work and school, and NYC itself is considered your campus, which really means there won't be sororities, and frat parties. Also there are very very few guys and fewer straight men obviously being a fashion school an all. You will get opportunities from LIM, it is just up to you to utilize them. Honestly you could have found these opportunities yourself if you tried. Their financial aid office is complete BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!! They are delayed and this will be a pain to deal with if you are not on top of this! Honestly I want to transfer as soon as possible, hopefully my financial aid will be fixed in time for me to start the fall term. If not I guess I will do a semester at a local community college and transfer to a better, more known college. All in all LIM really needs to consider their students and give the students what is deserved, considering the amount of money they charge. It is unfair to say the least.
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F