StudentsReview :: Monroe College - Comments and Student Experiences

Monroe College

I joined Monroe for the CIS (Computer InformationAverageSchool of Information
I joined Monroe for the CIS (Computer Information Systems) Degree also called IT. I have read all the comments and complaints and personally had a great experience at Monroe. I did not dorm but I don't understand how people can complain about the night life when Iona is right down the street bringing another added area for a great night / campus life. My professors were very knowledgeable and for those students who want to have a career in IT this is a great place to start. In your first year you will learn the fundamentals of computer hardware, you will learn the basics of programming, you will learn the concepts of databases and these skills combined are enough to get you a great job once you understand how they are all connected and how to utilize them properly.

I took classes online as well. I will admit, at first it is a bit confusing how the blackboard system works your first time around but once you get the hang of it the system becomes a powerful learning tool and enjoyable. If you plan on taking online classes, as soon as you get your Monroe login, learn how to message your professor through the blackboard system, how discussions work as well as Announcements and Content. I took a Network Security class online and it was an excellent class.

I had a great experience at Monroe thus far. I believe if you are looking for a career in IT this is a great place to start. If you are highly advanced in Computer Science odds are you can learn on your own with all the help on the net. I came because I needed a degree and I don't think I made a bad decision. Monroe is a great place to start.

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Faculty Accessibility: A, Campus Aesthetics: B-
The reason I chose Monroe was because IQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
The reason I chose Monroe was because I knew other people who came here and they bragged on how wonderful the school was. So I decided to enroll. That whole process was very easy. The first semester was going good until I had to apply for a loan. I did the application and was told I would receive feedback within two weeks after that. Yeah ok. They basically forgot all about my application and a month after that they approved it for way less than what I asked for. They make it seem as if you are requesting to borrow money out of their personal checking account. That's when I realized that the staff does not stay on top of things. The next semester came around and I was due to give birth. I came to classes everyday up until the day I gave birth. I tool two weeks off and came back. The whole time my English professor was grading me on work and decided to give me a zero for attendance. My average for the class went from a 97% to a 44% within two weeks! When speaking to the professor, the dean, the advisor and whoever else matters, they all said the same thing. Don't worry about it! You will be excused for your attendance. Submitting work online is almost impossible because professors like to give hand outs which have to be read. After reading it you are then able to do the work. The student body is mainly young "adults" and they are the most immature group of students. I think they enroll in college to be cool rather than to obtain a college degree. I would never recommend that anyone come here. Honestly, for all the money spent on one semester here, you can go to a community college for way cheaper and be treated much better.
Campus Maintenance: A, Campus Aesthetics: F
I was in Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management.Quite BrightOther
I was in Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management. First off, Monroe College is overpriced. They only have 4-6 majors and want nearly 7 grand. During your 5th semester there, they want you to go without pell and tap, making you take out (or increase) a loan. Monroe College takes so much and gives so little in return. Some of the students are ghetto and act like they're in high school. Most of the people on the culinary team are arrogant little brats. Some of the chefs are bias, hypocrites and unprofessional and make racial slurs. When things don't go their way, they want to call you unprofessional.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015