StudentsReview :: Marymount Manhattan College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Marymount College of Fordham University -- Tarrytown, NY

Marymount Manhattan College

Don't come here expecting to make unique, interestingQuite BrightCommunications
Don't come here expecting to make unique, interesting friends - they've all already transferred out.
The worst thing is that people here are so generic, for the most part. They're all just... boring. Well, not ALL of them but I would say 85% of the ones I've met. And a lot of them just do the same kind of shit that people at the New School and NYU do but without any sort of substance to go along with it. Not to mention that so many people here just have no idea how to dress - they still dress like they would in the suburbs they came from.

If I see another person in the de facto Marymount uniform***, I'm going to withdraw from my classes and move to a cabin in Iceland on a rocky outcrop.

That said, the teachers in the communication arts department are great. In other departments, they tend to be a bit boring, they just talk and talk and talk and then try to force some kind of completely irrelevant discussion.

The comm arts teachers treat their classes a lot more organically - they don't just lecture and their discussions don't feel like questions made up of thin air. They encourage tangential thoughts.

I like this school, even though a good portion of my friends have transferred out, and even though people around me bore me to tears.*** pullover Marymount hoodie and Marymount sweatpants tucked into Uggs

2nd Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B-
Marymount Manhattan College is just like any otherNot so brightEnglish
Marymount Manhattan College is just like any other college . It has its good points and bad points. Starting with the bad first , Marymount charges you an arm and leg in school fees but you never see where all that money is going. For example , students pay about 150 -- 200 dolars in technology fees but the technology at the school , especially at the freshmen dorms, are beyond uncepptable. The internet connections at the dorms rarley work continiously. At least once every day the connections is brooken and whatever research or homework I was doing had to wait a good hour or two until it decides to reconnect. Keep in mind , that there have been DAYS when I have not been able to use the internet at all. My computer is brand new and keep it updated- it is not my computer. I also have 6 roomates and we all have the same problem. One would think that after paying an outrageous fee IT department(technology assistance) would eb able to help but all they do is tinker on your computer and say"You're good to go." The problem, hwoever , is never resolved. All six of my roomates , including myself , have complained and each time IT promises to come down to the dorms to looka t the ports but they have never came. I have been waiting on someone for over a month.

My next issue is that the school forces you to buy a 1,000 meal plan if you live on campus. First of all , the food selection is terriable. You can either order unhealthy and subpar food from ONE resturant with a rude staff or you can eat at the cafe in Marymount which is the worst choice . The food at Marymount but taste good , depending on the day , but you first have to order it from a inpatient , buy it from rude and smart-mouthed cashiers, and then , once you settle down to eat it , it is quite possiable that you'll find bugs in it.A month ago a girl reported finding maggots in her yogurt and just 3 weeks ago i found a dead fly in my salad. After finding dead animals in my food and growing tired of one particular rude cashier, who instead of focusing on the customer in front of her likes to yell down the line for people to order and often is smart with them when they arent quick enough to respond , i decided not to eat from the school's cafe or visit its coffe bar known as Java City. SO i paid for a 1,000 meal plan that i cannot use because I do not wish to eat dead animals and don't like to be yelled at cashiers.

Now , on to the postive. The teachers here , at least 8 out of ten , are amazing. A lot of peopel say that , unless your a dance or acting major , you dont receive your money's woth and that is simply not true. I'am an English/Acting major and the English department is simply wonderful. The teachers truly know their craft and are very helpful and challenging. You might not like their class at the time but they do prepare you for a career. Each department has its qualfied and talented teachers. It dosent matter if you are a Science Major or an Acting major; the etacher are more then qualfied and more then ready to help you.

So overall , the only thing Marymount reall has going for it is it's teacher , most of whom have taught at elite schools like NYU and Harvard. It is a great liberal arts school , for a well rounded education. However , the school

is school needs to hire a staff that is not rude. They should also invest in a capable IT department who knows is not lazy and knows what they are doing. Btter yet , they should used that technology fee to do so. Lastly, they should no charge an arm and a leg for a mean plan and dorming. The food they offer is downright unhealthy and extremley expensive; 10 dolars for a lunch contaminated with dead bugs? The dorms are over-crowded and not worth the 12,000 price tag.

p.s- except for the teachers , Marymount is seriously lacking and until these problems are resolved , your money would be better spent elsewere.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A-, Faculty Accessibility: F
I attended MMC for my freshman year ofAveragePerfomance Arts
I attended MMC for my freshman year of college and was expecting a different experience. At my audition for the school's theatre dept., they made MMC out to be this wonderful little college in the middle of the hectic island of Manhattan. However, I was surprised when I found the college to be very unhelpful in all aspects, including extra curricular activites, money matters, social life, etc.. I know that college is about independence and finding your own way. But it is also suppose to support their students in their endeavors. My professors were very nice, but seemed uncommitted to their jobs. There was no way of meeting people because there were barely any clubs or organizations to join. Security at the dorms is also a little ridiculous. You have a limited amount of guests you can have at your dorm, you can't have people over after 12, etc.. But the worst was the money issues i had. They charged me for every little thing, adding on thousands to the $35,000 i was already paying to attend the school. Overall, I found that being in New York City on your own at 18 is hard enough. It doesn't help having a college breathing down your back when you are a couple days late on paying for something. Marymount is not a bad school, but you better be very very VERY independent in order to handle yourself there, because they are not going to help you out much. Oh, and have a lote of money.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011