StudentsReview :: Marymount Manhattan College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Marymount College of Fordham University -- Tarrytown, NY

Marymount Manhattan College

Honestly.AverageCommunications
Honestly...This place is a nightmare to me. I've read some reviews for this place, and I agree with pretty much all the negative ones. I'm not a homophobic person, but almost all the guys here are gay. And I dont mean, u get to know them and then after a while its like "Oh your gay? I had no idea. Whatever as long as ur happy..." I'm talking OMG here they come, wearing tight shirts, floating around singing showtunes...That type of gay guy. Not that their bad people. But what could a completely straight guy like me have in common with that? The people here suck. Everyone there is so career obsessed and selfish. They all think their gonna be superstars just because their in NYC. This is no way to live. It's lonely, the people are heartless, and frankly, no fun. And there r just a lot of unhappy kids here, whos parents are paying crazy money just for them to miss out on what should be the best 4 years of their lives. Kids our age have the rest of our lives to work and try to be famous. But you only go to college once. And one more thing...The theatre teachers....Their all encouraging this unhealthy way of thinking. I know, I did theatre my first semester, and I was absolutely miserable. Piss off Marymount.
1st Year Male -- Class 2011
Surrounding City: B, Education Quality: F
I decided to go to Marymount based onQuite BrightUndecided
I decided to go to Marymount based on the small size of the school and its location. I did pretty well in High School and didn't realize how easy it was to get into Marymount until I met other students that had done nothing in high school. Marymount is a school for people who want to major in theatre or dance. The two groups do not mix and look down upon people who aren't involved in the arts. Pretty much all of them think that they are the next big thing and have been told they are the next big thing in their small towns, so now that they have come to the BIG CITY they automatically think they are new york's hot shit. The amount of gay guys in the school is absolutely insane. As someone that is by all means tolerant of other people's lifestyles etc. I find myself overwhelmed by it and the guys that aren't gay are all promiscuous and unappealing. The freshman dorms are wonderful but the rules are ridiculous and the other 2 buildings available to upper classmen offer rooms the size of shoeboxes. If you are someone that takes their education seriously do not go to Marymount. There are so many slackers that somehow slip through the cracks and somehow proceed onto the following semester and are an insult to academia. I pretty much hate this school and wish that I had not gone here. Marymount Manhattan brings the kind of people to New York that think Sex and the City is real, and that are actually going to do nothing with their lives.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Campus Aesthetics: A, Social Life: F
Marymount is often called, "Fairymount" because of theBrightCommunications
Marymount is often called, "Fairymount" because of the large gay population. Lesbians: be advised, this does NOT apply to you. Theatre majors are obnoxious and the program is very easy to get into, so they lack talent. Basically, Marymount is an extension to high school. I went to boarding school and it felt the exact same. The dorms are nice, but the rules SUCK. No booze, and you will get kicked out for pot. The RA's are ass holes, and the R.D. is on a major power trip. She gets her kicks searching peoples rooms and then kicking them out.

The administration sucks big time, and they will weasle you out of money without you noticing. I feel incredibly guilty for making my parents pay for a semester at Marymount.

My classes were okay... a couple of them were decently challenging. The core classes are a joke though. My math teacher let me copy his answers for the last two tests... take that as you will.

Generally, the students are stuck up Long Islanders. Everybody is "trendy" and most lack common sense. The theatre majors are turning into Coke heads. I am so happy to be out of Marymount, and out of New York.

1st Year Female -- Class 2009