StudentsReview :: Marymount Manhattan College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Marymount College of Fordham University -- Tarrytown, NY

Marymount Manhattan College

It was the biggest mistake of my life.BrightPsychology
It was the biggest mistake of my life. 25k seemed reasonable. Although 1 year later it turned into 40k. When somebody says that you're invisible unless you're a theatre or dance major THEY ARE NOT EXAGGERATING. I was in the dorms 20 blocks away from campus which is quite literally an office building. They love to tell you that there's a sense of community here but even in your closet of a dorm, you probably won't make many friends. The school really is comprised of rich kids who really couldn't care about academics. While there, I read psychology and art history. The psychology department is probably the worst maintained department on the whole island of Manhattan. I achieved high marks in 300 level classes but quite honestly, I could have taught the courses myself after a good look on wikipedia. Since this school isn't nearly as open minded as they would like to think they are, I made virtually no friends. After nor friends comes depression, then comes apathy towards course work. It has essentially ruined my academic career solely on the fact that even the highest level classes are hold no distinction from your basic community college 101 course. I should probably also mention that I received both the second highest scholarship and than the first the following semester. Even with those awards it covered less than a fraction of my tuition. It wasn't challenging, it wasn't fun, and the students are next to brain dead. There were a few good professors with sensational qualifications, but for a few others, just flatter them here and there and that A is yours. If you think that this might be an easy A to get into your dream job or graduate school, you very easily could attain that A. But let it be known that even though they focus on the performing arts, the school has no distinction nor credibility whatsoever. It is the laughing stalk of the private education ring not only in NYC, but almost all of the English speaking universities in the Western world. BUT, if you think you're the absolute best, go! By all means! If you think your Chanel watch and savoir-faire of the greatest pop music in the past three months will get you far, go. If you just love being told what to do regardless of how half assed it is in reality, how to do it, and then being told to pay criminal amounts for it, please, go. For your own sake, please, PLEASE reconsider your options. There is no situation so desperate that you have to go to this god awful, quasi-extension of high school. Your parents will thank you, but perhaps more importantly, your future salary will thank you.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
I wish I could categorize this comment asQuite BrightPerfomance Arts
I wish I could categorize this comment as HIGHLY negative because negative doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about this school.Marymount Manhattan is an atrocious school. I'm a BFA acting major and the program is a complete and utter joke, in my opinion. I honestly don't know how the school is certified to hand out a Bachelor of Fine Arts in this department (ie. you will still be playing theatre games into your second month of training). There are students enrolled in my class who have never heard of Sanford Meisner or Uta Hagen. Some who have never taken an acting class prior. Need I say more? I've spoken to upperclassmen about why they've stayed in the program and they've all responded with the same answer... that they wanted to transfer, but never got around to it, and now that they've accepted the fact that they are receiving subpar education, they like the program better. Every one of my professors have graduated from Marymount Manhattan... not an appealing quality. I feel as though there isn't any culture or experience behind anything that I'm learning. You will be wasting your time and money coming here. I'm transferring as soon as possible.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F
This school is a sad joke.Quite BrightPsychology
This school is a sad joke. The administration is all over the place and quite impatient with first year students. I went here with the hopes of being challenged with my work, getting a great internship and having an active city social life. WRONG. Unless you are majoring in the theater or dance department, you are invisible. I was a psychology and sociology major and there is nothing credible about this department. The guys are more melodramatic than the girls. The girls are snotty and over privileged and most are only breezing through college to satisfy their rich parents. The tuition is ridiculous and so are their room and board rates. You pay the same amount to live in a 6 person suite at 55th as a closet sized space at the "V" site! Please save yourself the trouble and either apply to a cheaper/ better school in NYC or go to a state school and move to NYC after so you're not paying absurd student loans! You hardly ever get to know anyone in the dorms because everyone has their own agenda. There are not athletes at this school, mostly just bored rich kids who have nothing better to buy than drugs. I thankfully transferred to UMass and had a normal experience with normal people my age! Best decision I made in my entire life. The people I did meet at MMC all transferred as well.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010